Babies: 0 - 3 Months

I'm worried my baby can't see :-(

I know I may be freaking out too early, but I've been noticing that DS won't look at me even if I position him on my knees facing me. Sometimes I think that he "looks through me" or right past my face. I know he can def. hear (passed the hearing screening) and he will turn his head when he hears me talking. Hes not interested if I hold up colorful rattles near him and wiggle them, doesn't really respond to any facial expressions, doesn't smile, ect. Any experiences?? Hes 8 weeks old as of last Monday.

TIA

Re: I'm worried my baby can't see :-(

• Have you brought up these concerns with your pedi?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I just now finally admitted to myself that I'm worried and need to look into this further. Our Pedi is not the greatest so I'm thinking about calling a pediatric eye dr in the nearby big city!
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP, discuss your concern with your pedi at the 2 month visit!
  • I would go to an eye MD but try not to worry too much.  Neither of my girls cared to look at me that much or toys.  My toddler didn't even acknowledge toys until she was about 3-4mo old and she has great vision.
  • My DS does the same thing. I posted this question last week and several people said their newborns also have similar habits when it comes to looking at people/ focusing on faces. My DS is younger than yours, but hearing that other babies did the same thing made me a little less worried. Still, if you're concerned, you can always have someone check it out just in case!
  • I was just thinking about the same thing today. My DS was born at 34 weeks and is now 8 weeks old and does the exact same thing. If I can get him interested enough, he will follow a toy. He just doesn't act like he cares to look at anything. He has been to the pediatric opthamologist and they didn't see anything wrong with his eyes.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket
  • did your hospital do a vision test? mine did a vision and hearing.
    Jess and James 10.18.08
    Zoey Emma 08.18.10
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecrows1920:
    did your hospital do a vision test? mine did a vision and hearing.

no...well, if they did I wasn't told. I will call the pedi office tomorrow and ask!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"