Babies: 0 - 3 Months

What makes your baby smile?

My dd has yet to give me a "real" smile. She has been giving me little almost smiles for the past few days and it's driving me crazy waiting for that grin. I smile at her all day, she hates being tickled, I make silly faces, and wave toys at her, all to no avail.

What works for your LO? When did they start smiling regularly? 

1ht

Re: What makes your baby smile?

• DS didn't smile regularly until 7 weeks. What usually gets him smiling is me smiling and talking to him.
  • DS started smiling regularly around 6 weeks. He always smiles whenever we put him in the carseat...go figure. He also smiles when he's on the activity mat and I sing "old MacDonald".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DS started smiling at 4 weeks during diaper changes.....it's still one of his favorite things. 

• We got occasional smiles around 5-6 weeks.  Then they became more regular, but we had to put on a song and dance routine to get them.  Now at 11 weeks, she smiles in response to my smile or even just when I look at her.  It's so sweet!  
  • LO started smiling around 4 weeks. What gets him going the most is mostly just me talking to him or rubbing/caressing his cheek. He also enjoys a little "boop" on the nose =]
  • imagedoremi29:

DS started smiling at 4 weeks during diaper changes.....it's still one of his favorite things. 

This.  Usually as soon as he hits the changing table he starts smiling and "talking", so I talk to him and make silly faces and keep him going. 

Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• DS smiles when I sing & move his hands -- songs like itsy bitsy spider, pat-a-cake, anything that has some choreography.  I even do cheers with him from my high school days.  Embarrassed  DH hates when I do that, but DS loves it!
  • imageDreamsicle23:
    imagedoremi29:

DS started smiling at 4 weeks during diaper changes.....it's still one of his favorite things. 

This.  Usually as soon as he hits the changing table he starts smiling and "talking", so I talk to him and make silly faces and keep him going. 

DD does this, too!  

Also, pinching her cheeks really gets her going.  She really wants to laugh but she just can't figure it out.

• Mathieu started really smiling around 7wks. 

He loves it when I touch his lips, smile and laugh at him, and stick my tongue out at him.  

Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Diaper changes make her smile every time! If we talk and smile at her she smiles back. When MH comes home from work and she sees him for the first time, she is all smiles!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageFooteBaby:

My dd has yet to give me a "real" smile. She has been giving me little almost smiles for the past few days and it's driving me crazy waiting for that grin. I smile at her all day, she hates being tickled, I make silly faces, and wave toys at her, all to no avail.

What works for your LO? When did they start smiling regularly? 

1ht

I'm in the same boat. My DS has smiled a couple of times for my DH, but I could dance around like an idiot and I get nothing. I would love to see a "real smile". How early was your LO? 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket
  • I would say that she started smiling around 7 weeks. Everything makes her smile. My DH can really get her going. She smiles during and after breastfeeding and what I talk to her and play with her. She really likes high pitched baby voices and music.
  • DS just started smiling intentionally this week. By "intentionally" I mean I can finally tell that it's not just gas or a reflex or a fluke. This morning DH was nice enough to let me sleep in. When he brough DS up to the bedroom when I woke up I said "There's my baby!" and as soon as he hear my voice, DS just lit up with a huge smile! I melted!

DS also likes it when I talk to him in a happy tone and then kiss his nose. EX: "You're a cute baby!" *kiss* "Mommy loves you!" *kiss* "You've just got the tastiest little nose ever!" *kiss*

About the 4th or 5th kiss, it's like he knows it's coming and he smiles in between each one.

They are difficult to get out of him sometimes but I definitely live for those little smiles!

• Khari smiles most at her butterfly 'mobile' I made for above her crib. I'm sure she could sit there smiling and talking to it for hours if I let her...

She also likes when I go "I'm gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha Girlfriend!" (I say girlfriend in a high pitched voice) then blow raspberries on her stomach.. but pretty much if you smile at her she'll smile at you. Except for Taiden. She loves her big bro and smiles at him all the time!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"