2nd Trimester

Anybody else very short of breath???

Hello everyone!  I am about 21 weeks along in my 3rd pregnancy, but posting on a website is new to me :).  I am about 30 pounds lighter starting this pregnancy than I was with my other two.  Now, I am not a marathon runner by any means, but in decent shape.  However, over the last couple of weeks I am finding that I am short of breath doing the simplest things.  Also, my heart will start beating fast and hard really easy.  Anyone else having this, or should I be worried?  Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Re: Anybody else very short of breath???

• I can do anything I could before I was pregnant with no problem - except walk up stairs! I don't know why, but that really takes my breath away. I would ask your doctor at your next appointment, but if it is very worrisome, you can always call!
  • I was not in terrible shape before getting pregnant and am not overweight but I get super out of breath with even the littlest things. Especially stairs and then my heart races. It sometimes feels like it takes several minutes of sitting to catch my breath! I have read that shortness of breath is normal right now. Now of course if you experience chest pain or other symptoms you should call your doctor.
  • Loading the player...
  • jkrubie7...stairs do it for me too, I feel better knowing I am not the only one!  Thanks!
  • And unfortunately my washer and dryer are in the basement! I find myself whining about laundry a lot these days! Good luck to you!
  • Me too! I'm a first-timer, and the whole out of breath thing sucks to me. I feel so out of shape, but I am actually lighter than when I got pregnant :) Stairs make me short of breath, and so does carrying things (groceries, boxes, etc). I am always on the go, and have never had that problem before getting pregnant! Glad to know I am not alone or getting out of shape!
  • I read somewhere if you're anemic, you're more likely to be out of breath. You could try eating some more red meat (or anything with iron) and see if it helps at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My OB just yesterday said it was very normal around this time. She specifically asked me about that, leg cramps, and headaches. I get so out of breath with any amount of exertion. It was bad during 1st tri, got better, and now it's back.  :(  I swear people i talk to must think that i'm incredibly out of shape because i'm practicly panting during any conversation.
  • I've been getting out of breath really easily the last week or so.
  • I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm making an effort to get out and walk/exercise more. 
  • Shouldn't be worried, its the your hormones mixed with the extra blood from your LO. Also short of breath can come from your lungs being push up bc of your growing stomach.

Try to drink LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER. This will keep you and your LO hydrated and keep your body in top shape. Try skipping the caffiene, I know when I have a soda my heart rate tends to get jumpy very easy.

• I am too!  I used to be really in shape, and ever since I got pregnant, I feel out of breath at the slightest thing! Im glad Im not the only one!  Good luck!

image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mine has never gone away since early on :(  I used to bike for hours and i'm very active at home and at work. Now i have trouble carrying in a ouple of light bags of groceries up a couple of steps!!!! I just marvel at people who are on their second!!!! how do you go through this WITH a toddler!!?!?!?!?!?  props to 2nd+ timers :)
  • Yep, me, too.  I can feel my heart racing and really pounding in my ears.  I mentioned it at my last OB appt., and they said it was normal - basically LO is sucking up my energy and blood supply - and that the most important thing was to keep hydrated.
  • I feel the same way!! I am so glad that I am not the only one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"