High-Risk Pregnancy

Just got my pump!

It's a Medtronic Miniped and it's so weird!! I've been diabetic for 21 years (since I was 3) so it's weird taking anything but shots. I'm hoping everything works out *crosses fingers*  My doctor cracked me up because she taught me how to take it off for "intimate moments" lolz!

How does everyone else like their pump?

Jackson W. Holler born 12/9/10 at 7:52 a.m. He is my little miracle baby!! pPROM'ed at 23w1d and delivered at 34w Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Just got my pump!

• I love,love,love my pump.I took shots for 15 years.I was diagnosed at 14-I had gallstones that burst my gallbladder and lodged in my pancreas causing severe damage and type 1 diabetes.

I was always really,really scared of the pump just because it was different,but I am so glad I went on it!I am still getting used to having something constantly attatched to me,but I like that it is really hard to accidentally rip the site out,I was worried about that at first.

So far my control has been about 90% better with the pump,and my a1c went from a 7.9 at conception to a 5.6 at month 5.I hope you love it too!

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• Nice!! My glucose levels have been in the 200's today but the doctor said that's to be expected until we can fine tune everything. I was really hesitant about it, they had to force me to say yes. It was them sending me an e-mail about having a "very large baby" in all caps that made me re-think it. Mostly because I don't like having a constant reminder and something obvious for others to see. Plus, I didn't want something on me 24/7 but I guess I'll have to put my big girl pants on and get over it. I'm glad yours is doing so well for you, that gives me hope
    Jackson W. Holler born 12/9/10 at 7:52 a.m. He is my little miracle baby!! pPROM'ed at 23w1d and delivered at 34w Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I LOVE mine as well!  I've had type 1 for over 20 years and have been on the pump for about 10 now.  I really really resisted it for a long time -but now I would never go back!  You totally get used to it being attached to you 24/7, and in my experience most people that don't know what it is think it's a cell phone or something.  It's not 100% perfect technology, but I my control is amazingly better than when I was on shots, and I really don't think I could have gone through this pregnancy, or my last one without it. 

Good luck, and give it a few months to really get used to it!

• I've been pumping for almost ten years now, and can't imagine life differently... You get used to it.  And it really isn't a constant reminder to others because (at least for me) you can be very creative about hiding it.  My pump is always in my pocket or stuffed away under clothing where you cannot see it.  It was kind of embarrassing when I was a teenager and anything "different" about yourself is the end of the world, but like I said, you get used to it and people don't notice it.
  • I dont have as much expierance as others but i have had my pump for almost 3 months... I was the same... they kept telling me the benifits and I could only see that I failed at my control and didnt want to give it to being hooked up.  Once I started researching what could happen to LO and happen to have a diabetic mom come in for a OB scan, and saw what happened to her..... I flipped out , left work and went to my endo office and told him sign me up now, didnt want to go down that road that i saw coming... It was the best decison I have made for us... my control is so much better... and I really dont mind being hooked up... most people and most of my patients think its a pager and that I am so behind in times... especially when it beeps to remind me to check my levels.

You will love it... just hold out for a few weeks til you can tweek your numbers... and yes, I am still tweeking mine... just as I start getting good readings, my insulin needs change again...apparently I am insulin resistant... nice :/

• I LOVE my pump also.  I have been a diabetic for 21 years, and have been on the pump for 6 and a half years.  The pump was the best decision I have ever made.  This pregnancy has thrown me for a loop, it seems that every month I have to either increase my basal rate or increase the bolus when I eat.  I had one a1c that was over 6(a month after I got the pump), but all others have been around 5.5.  My doctor just checked my a1c and it was 4.8 - the lowest it has ever been.  Be patient while you are working out the details, but it will be soooooo worth it in the end.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I absolutely LOVE my pump!  I have been a type 1 diabetic for 5.5 years, and got the pump a little over a year ago.  It was the best decision ever.  My biggest hesitation for getting a pump was that I didn't want something attached to me 24/7.  It has not been as big of a deal as I thought it would be, I hardly even know it is there!  Before getting the pump, my A1c's were in the upper 7% range, and now they are at 5.1 - 5.3%. 
  • I've been diabetic for 11.5 years, and had the pump 5 years.  I got it when I was around 15, and I love it.  I wasn't hesitant at all, I was excited and pushed to get one!  You can hid it anywhere, pockets, bra, in a special garter for dresses.  And the control it gives you is sooo much better than shots, not to mention one poke every 3 days instead of however many shots every day!
  • Congrats!  I also have a minimed pump and minimed is great--they always fight the insurance battles for me!  :)

Anyway, I've been diabetic for almost 27 years (since I was 4) and on the pump for 14 years now.  I can't imagine life without it.  Before I went on the pump, I was most scared about sleeping with it because I'm a restless sleeper.  However, it turned out not to be a big deal at all.

• I love my pump!! I've been diabetic since 2000. Was put on two shots a day at first, then a Minimed pump which I HATED. It was flawed and broke all the time. Went back to shots, then not too long ago, got back on the pump.

I'm on the Animas Ping and I love it! It's such a wonder that my pump and meter can 'talk' to each other. :) My a1c has been in the 10% range most of my diabetic life. After I found out I was preggo, I straightened up, got my numbers under hardcore control and in less than a month it dropped to a 7.4%. Hereof lately it's been up and down and in the 200s more frequently again. It's almost a weekly thing, changing my numbers. But the site changes and wearing it all the time is no big deal.

I hope you enjoy your pump!!! :)

• I really like it so far. How do you make it look somewhat sexy or cute attached to your body? Mine looks so weird, I don't know how anyone can feel confident with this thing
  • You can hide it depending on the length of the your infusion set.  most of the times I am at the house my pump is in my bra... :) now that they are big enough to hold it... Other times I slide it in the small of my back, just becareful when you sit.  There is also a holster that you can buy to strap it to your leg if your a skirt, dress kind of girl....  but mostly my hangs out in my front pocket and most people think its a beeper or cell... thats if they see it... most dont.  My grandma in law flipped when she saw me pull it outthe other day, she totally forgot that I was pumpin it... just try different places you will find a place to hide it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"