1st Trimester
Options

Fluoride?

This might be a stupid question, so flame on. I was told that fluoride toothpaste isn't good to use while pg? I questioned the source of this information and did some research on it to no avail. I thought fluoride was a good thing? Anyone heard of it being bad?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Fluoride?

• Options
    I asked my doctor about that, because I use a prescription fluoride toothpaste, and he said don't worry about any kind of toothpaste.  Also all the books I am reading say TO USE a toothpaste with fluoride in it since your teeth are more suceptible to problems while pregnant.
  • Options

This is from pregnancy.org

The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that pregnant women eat a balanced diet, brush their teeth thoroughly with an ADA-approved fluoride toothpaste twice a day, and floss daily.

Here's the article it came from.

https://www.pregnancy.org/article/dental-work
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Great! That's what I was thinking: fluoride should be good right now since dental hygiene is important. Awesome, thanks for posting your reply to this.
  • Options
    I'm using a presciption fluoride paste now as well and actually you want a paste that is high in fluoride since your teeth take a serious beating when you are PG.
  • Options

imagelbcurtis22:
    I asked my doctor about that, because I use a prescription fluoride toothpaste, and he said don't worry about any kind of toothpaste.  Also all the books I am reading say TO USE a toothpaste with fluoride in it since your teeth are more susceptible to problems while pregnant.

Same here, dentist said just be careful not to swallow too much of it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! The whole idea of it just seemed ridiculous--especially since every toothpaste we have in the house (like 4 different ones... idk why) all have % .25 fluoride in them.
  • Options
    I would think its fine because you don't swallow toothpaste. Fluoride in your water is a different issue. We have a water cooler and buy non-fluoridated water .
  • Options

Hello, I am TTC but stopping by 1st Tri and noticed this post. I am a dental hygienist and yes fluoride is ok during pregnancy but not in too high of a dose. The fluoride that you have in your regular toothpaste (Crest/Colgate, ect,) is fine. However, prescription toothpaste (Prevident) is not recommended to use during pregnancy, since it is too much fluoride for a developing fetus, this is what we were taught and what the doctors that I worked for said to the patients. I would skip the prescription fluoride and just use a regular toothpaste. Our gums are more affected during pregnancy then our teeth that is why you usually have bleeding/sore/tender/puffy gums due to hormonal changes that are going on in your body. I hope this helps! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"