3rd Trimester

lightning crotch.

If it's consistent, can this be a bad thing? Around 3:00 yesterday I got it at least 4 times every hour until about 9:00. Then today I have already got it at least 3 times.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: lightning crotch.

• it's something you can't control.. I get it a lot!

4-7-11 - Natural MC @ 4w5d 6-27-11- MC @ 5w6dPgAL/PAL WelcomeDD#1- 8/20/2010DD#2- 6/21/2012EDD #3~ 5/1/2014 ~ Team Green
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I hate that, The first time it happened I was shocked! Its obviously my first. haha
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageFishNchips1:
    it's something you can't control.. I get it a lot!

I know. I just didn't know if it can be a bad sign at some point.

• Just the baby hitting cervical nerves when you are further along. Early in pregnancy its just things stretching out. Its common. Dont worry too much. I had it with all 3 of my kiddos.
  • I actually just had this for the first time two nights ago. I am 37 weeks and was having braxton hicks like crazy.  Thankfully it didn't last very long.  What a crazy feeling!!
  • Good to know!  I've had a few issues with the myself lately and that's what I assumed it was something along those lines.  Thanks for the input!
  • Good to know!  I've had a few issues with the myself lately and I assumed it was something along those lines.  Thanks for the input!
  • can someone be more specific about wht lighting crotch feels like ! ? thanks!
  • I am a just a week or so ahead of you and have been getting the same sharp pains on and off "down there" just over the past two days. One actually stopped me dead in my tracks. I was worried as well but thought it was probably normal. What a relief to know I am not the only one!
  • I have it too.  All day, every day.  I have it in the front of my cooch, like I fell off a bike and hit the center support.  My gyno said that is was normal because my pelvis is shifting to support the weight of our baby girl and to also allow her passage.  The area that hurts me is called the pubic symphysis.  It's a joint with cartilage that joins my left and right pubic bones.

During pregnancy, the body's release of a hormone called relaxin peaks. This slows digestion (to allow for greater absorption of vitamins and minerals and can contribute to consipation), allows for shifting of joints, (sofening of the pubic symphysis) and helps the body tolerate & progress through labor. 

Since the pubic symphysis pain is not enough to deal with, my sacrum also kills.  I cannot lay flat on my back anymore.  Same reason here.  My joints are moving in response to the baby.  But, it's all worth it! 

• I liked to call it Vagina Knives. Its not contractions.... my doctor said it was the baby hitting nerves in the cervix.  I think he was trying to claw his way out!!
  • I have been having it for about 2 weeks. I am 38 weeks and it happens mostly when I walk and it is very weird...it makes me drop to my knees. I am lucky because usually when it does happen it is later at night and my fiance is always there to lend support. However, since Monday of this week I have been put on bedrest due to my retention of fluid, so I haven't noticed it as much
  • I have had stabbing pains in the crotch for a month or so now, and they have become increasingly common especially when I stand up. I am 34 weeks along with twins and on bedrest. My doc said it is just the babies putting pressure on my cervix as they get closer to delivery time. So no worries- apparently it is pretty normal :)
  • I am confused about this topic. Is someone saying that their crotch feels like it is on fire?
  • I've had the same pain for about two weeks now on an off. At first I thought it was a wicked bladder infection.   My doc just told me to relax, and when the opportunity presents itself drink more water and sit back down.  Mine tend to come when I am walking after driving in the car.  He said the same thing the baby is just hitting nerves.  The other thing I've found is by rubbing my belly to redirect the baby.  That tends to lessen the instant pain.  I'm 34 weeks now so the count down has really begun.
  • they don't call it lightning crotch for nothin'. wait til the back pain. oy.
  • I read through the responses and everyone who seemed to be having it was 29-39 weeks along... im only 12 weeks (tomorrow) and ive had something similar sounding - very sharp pain 'down there' and also around my tailbone. Is that normal for women earlier along?
  • it is more of a sharp pain then a burn.  I promise you will know what it is if it ever does happen to you.  It will not go unnoticed:)  it usually happens to me when I am walking or standing. I am now almost 39 weeks but they have been happening to me for quite some time now.  All it's just baby's head hitting a nerve so it's just another one of those luxuries pregnant women get to deal with.
  • At 12 weeks I would think the pain you are feeling is your uterus stretching.  I remember it was quite painful for me.
  • imageitalianqt312:
    I liked to call it Vagina Knives. Its not contractions.... my doctor said it was the baby hitting nerves in the cervix.  I think he was trying to claw his way out!!

LMAO!!! That is my EXACT interpretation of what it is!!! It feels like she is trying to claw her way out!!! lol!! I've never heard anyone else say it like that before!!! My friends and family think I'm crazy when I say that.............but it's exactly what it feels like!!!

Mine happens mostly if I walk alot, it definitley feels like she's Freddy Kruger!!!

• imageitalianqt312:
    I liked to call it Vagina Knives. Its not contractions.... my doctor said it was the baby hitting nerves in the cervix.  I think he was trying to claw his way out!!

LMAO!!! That is my EXACT interpretation of what it is!!! It feels like she is trying to claw her way out!!! lol!! I've never heard anyone else say it like that before!!! My friends and family think I'm crazy when I say that.............but it's exactly what it feels like!!!

Mine happens mostly if I walk alot, it definitley feels like she's Freddy Kruger!!!

• LMAO!!!  Nah....I'd equate it more to someone repeatedly beating your crotch with a pick-ax.
  • Ya, I have had it to, and it started pretty early for me, it wasn't as often as it seems to be for some of the women, but some days it was constant, then I wouldn't feel it for a while.  I am hoping it doesn't come more often later, it sux!
  • I was actually getting this this morning.  The pain feels like a stabbing or shooting pain in my vagina.  My doctor said it's all part of Braxton Hicks.  It would make sense if it has something to do with the baby putting pressure on a nerve - my shooting pain is accompanied by major baby movement.

I wonder if there is any connection to dilation though??

• I start these a month ago, now at 38 weeks I'm getting it constantly.  I'm getting contractions too, and the cervix pain is way worse than the contractions.  They make me roll into a ball and cry.  

Unfortunately, while the contractions may do something to move it all along, apparently the baby's head on the cervix doesn't do anything but hurt.  

It's not forever, it's not forever, it's not forever. 

• Kind of depends on what you are feeling... maybe just your ligaments.  I got this feeling, or what I would describe like this around 36-40weeks... not as early as you.  It could also be signs of cervix changing... so you may want to call your MD.  I was having a pinching feeling a few weeks back and when I described it to my Ob that is what he linked it too... cervix thinning.
  • The "lightening" through your crotch is definitely baby hitting nerves in your cervix. My guy is both feet first and he kicks my cervix with all his might. I jumped a foot off the couch yesterday. I'm hoping it doesn't happen in a restaurant or something...
  • That happened to me too around my 30th week...

It was very shocking and stopped me in my tracks...

Nothing to do but cross your legs and wait for it to be over...lol

• imageitalianqt312:

Thank you so much for posting this. I thought I was going crazy because no one I know has ever mentioned anything like this and I felt so awk asking people about random indescribable vag pain. I've been getting it almost every time I move my pelvis. I am soo relived that I'm not weird or have some strange disease. This phrase cracked my husband and I up.. Priceless!!

Thanks!

• I've been experiencing this since 36 weeks. It is a bizarre sensation and makes me jump out of my chair as others have described.

Thanks so much for posting this. I tried to do some research to figure out what I was feeling, but found very little information.

It is reassuring to learn that others have experienced the same thing.

• I laughed for a loooong time over your question!! It feels like a sharp, but dull (I know, oxymoronic :) ) poke right in the cervix. It feels like the baby is poking right out your va jay jay. They happen quick, too... Hence "lighting crotch"  I love you girls!! You keep me laughing!!
  • I am 36 weeks 4 days and I have had that feeling a few times over the last few days.  I also get a pain that runs down my inner thighs and they almost cramp up.  I think it's where the baby hits a nerve.

• I am sorry that we are all experiencing this pain in the crotch, but i now take comfort in knowing that i am not alone! My first pregnancy was pretty easy aside from occasional sciatic pain, but this second pregnancy is so different! I am glad to know i am not the only one feeling all of these weird things!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had this stabbing pain for the first time 5 days ago (I'm 34 weeks today) . I was standing at the side of the bad and all of a sudden a sharp pain was in my vagine (a'la Borat). I had to kind of lean over and grab the bed because it hurt so badly. it was gone within a few minutes. At first I got scared but the next day we had our childbirth class and the Nurse said the pain was totally common and suspected it was cervical nerves too. I've felt it about 3 more times since then... Seriously, a relief to know we're all going through the same discomfert! lol I liked the "Vagina Knifes" name because that's really what it feels like!
  • Ha! I was searching all over the Googles last night trying to figure that out. I guess all I needed to search for was "Lightning Crotch."  :)
  • Vagina Knives!  This made me laugh out loud at work.  I have gotten this in the middle of the night and it scares the crap out of me!  Changing positions helps.  If childbirth feels this painful I am screwed, because I had decided to try it drug-free. 
  • omg. i have this too..especially after sex. i thought i had a serious problems.
    SAHM to a Winter Princess & Expecting Another Cupcake 8/12
  • what is it? and how do I know if i am expierencing it?
  • Omg I explain it the same way... Feels like you fell on the bicycle bar.
  • Mine seems to be related to my LO's movement . She wiggles around and her head must be hitting my cervix. It started around 36 wks and literally makes me want to scream!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"