Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Do you let your lo watch tv?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on that.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you let your lo watch tv?

• I put Sesame Street on one day, just to see if he would watch it - I couldn't believe how perfectly quiet he got and how much he stared at the tv - it totally had his attention.  I've tried other shows, but nothing holds his attention like Sesame Street.  Now I don't let him watch it everyday - just every once and a while. 
  • No, I don't. BUT my dad brings me a coffee every morning (his excuse to see his granddaughter of course). He gives her a bottle and then lets her watch tv for about 5 or 10 minutes. I don't have the heart to tell him not to let her. So she does watch it. But I go back to work in 2 weeks and those days will be over I guess!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • No. Too young. He'll sometimes catch a glimpse of it on but I never put him in front of it w the intention of him watching it. Wasn't there multiple discussions about this a few weeks ago? I can't remember for sure...

• I don't prop LO up in front of the TV so I can get stuff done or to calm her down. However, if she is in the room and the tv is on, I catch her watching it from time to time :)
  • I feel a heated battle coming on... people get so up in arms about this topic it seems.  Personally, if she happens to glance at it, I don't stop her.  That being said, I don't plant her in front of it and use it as a babysitter.  I don't think it is a huge deal if they watch a little here and there, but I know some people passionately feel it is satan's spawn...
  • The TV is always on in our house, so yes, LO watches it when she is in the same room.  Its not a big deal to me. I don't park her in front of it and leave her there for long periods of time, but if I need to get something done, I'll put her down where she can see it with a toy to play with.  And we go out every single day that the weather permits, so she gets plenty of other stimulation.

• We always have the TV on so he'll see it once in a while and something will catch his attention.  I don't plop him in front of it, but if he watches for a few minutes it's not a big deal.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • If we have the TV on and he looks at it I try to distract him, but I don't turn it off or anything.  I'm not bothered by him catching a glance of it, but I definitely don't put him in front of it or even turn him towards it while we are playing.  When we watch videos of him that we have then I'll let him watch it because it's so funny seeing him react to himself on tv.  Nothing catches his attention more than home videos.
    It took 3 1/2 long years, but we finally got our little miracle!
    IVF #1 - BFP (6dt)
    Unassisted Pregnancy #2 - lost at 15w6d due to T21, severe heart defects, and fetal hydrops

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I dont sit LO in front of the TV and let her watch it as a form of entertainment but she often glances at it or watches it for a few minutes while I am feeding her. I dont think a few minutes is going to hurt.
    My St. Patrick's day baby! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Nope.  The TV is never even on while Liam is awake.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm too tired for a debate today. So my short answer is no, we don't let her watch it at all. For the moms out there that have questions about the effects of TV on infants do some research and come to your own decision about whether it is ok for your LO or not.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We don't watch TV all that much in our house, but we do turn it on for about an hour or two after dinner, mostly to have some sound in the background.  We only rarely put her in front of it - only when she's extremely fussy and in need of distraction.  Most of the time, though, she falls asleep to the sound of whatever's on. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We try not to.  We never let DD or DS.  Soemtimes it it on in the same room, though, and she does watch it.  At that point we try to distract her, etc, but if I am in the shower or something she ends up watching.
  • I cath DS watching it sometimes.  I dont think its a big deal.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't purposely plunk her down in front of it to keep her entertained.  During the day, when I am home, it's off.  I just keep the radio on.  When DH is home, he likes to watch the news, so it's on. She catches glimpses of it here and there in the evening.  Most of the time, she's not overly interested.

• DH is a SAHD and I was concerned about him letting her watch TV, so our rule is no TV during the day.  So they listen to a lot of music instead, which I think is great!  In the evenings after I get home from work we have it on.  It is our chance to unwind.  DD is on the floor playing while we eat dinner and veg.  She often looks up at it, but not for very long b/c the angle is so awkward.  But between her dinner, her bath, her story, her bedtime, etc. the time spent watching the TV (for us too) is pretty short!  We're lucky if we can squeeze 1 hour in.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • About 15 minutes a week, I turn on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while I'm getting ready for work.  I haven't really done even that since I finally broke down and bought a Bumbo.  Now I take her in the bathroom with me in the morning.

A few minutes here and there isn't going to scar her for life, and she gets tons of other interaction and stimulation, so I'm not worried about it at all.

• I don't stop her from watching it. The tv is on in the house. I nurse her in the living room. The only time I take her out of our living room is if she is too distracted (bw tv, dog, DH) to nurse. Otherwise I nurse in there. She may turn her head towards it when burping. I am not going to force her head away from it. Nor will I turn off the tv. Getting a LITTLE tv here and there WILL NOT destroy her. It WILL NOT impair her ability to do anything. it WILL NOT cause her brain to develop slower. And yes I have done plenty of research. The few minutes she happens to catch during the 4 hours that she is awake when we are home won't hurt her. On weekends, we are visiting friends, shopping, playing outside so there is minimal time in the house anyway.

I will not go out of my way to make sure the tv is always off when she is in the room. Otherwise, DH will go in another room to watch tv so then she doesn't get daddy time. He agrees that the tv does NOT have to be off just bc she is there. We don't sit her in front of the tv for hours as a babysitter. I do let her watch the YBCR video once a day, and that doesn't happen every day.

• He has the rest of his life to be stuck in front of the TV, so why start now with my DS? It is always on when he is in the room, but LO always sits facing away from it. We're canceling cable next week, so this will soon be a non-issue. Sad My best friend grew up with no TV and I really envy her childhood, while I grew up sitting in front of TV. Therefore, we've decided to raise LO in a TV-free home. 
  • Yes. I bought 2 Baby Einstein videos, 28 minutes each and I put him there to watch one every other day. During the day we go out for walks, visit friends and family, read, play, listen to music and sing alot so he is getting other well-balanced stimulation. He doesn't nap very long (2-3 30minute naps per day) so I need it to get some work done. I also put some toys out for him in case he is not interested in the video.
    Lauryn Married 10.14.06 Baby 4.28.10 imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imagecajungirl0717:

I don't stop her from watching it. The tv is on in the house. I nurse her in the living room. The only time I take her out of our living room is if she is too distracted (bw tv, dog, DH) to nurse. Otherwise I nurse in there. She may turn her head towards it when burping. I am not going to force her head away from it. Nor will I turn off the tv. Getting a LITTLE tv here and there WILL NOT destroy her. It WILL NOT impair her ability to do anything. it WILL NOT cause her brain to develop slower. And yes I have done plenty of research. The few minutes she happens to catch during the 4 hours that she is awake when we are home won't hurt her. On weekends, we are visiting friends, shopping, playing outside so there is minimal time in the house anyway.

I will not go out of my way to make sure the tv is always off when she is in the room. Otherwise, DH will go in another room to watch tv so then she doesn't get daddy time. He agrees that the tv does NOT have to be off just bc she is there. We don't sit her in front of the tv for hours as a babysitter. I do let her watch the YBCR video once a day, and that doesn't happen every day.

Completely ignoring the rest of the post - that's pretty sad, and I would be fairly pissed if my DH did that.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I don't purposely put her in front of the TV - but I don't make sure it's off 100% of the time she's in the room either. Sometimes, at the end of the day, me and DH like to sit and watch TV. We watch it while we play with her on her mat or in our lap - or reading her a book. I will though, if I catch her "watching" it while in the living room - make sure it's on something kid friendly. When my mom babysits her, she puts on Disney movies or Pixar movies just for the sound or the music - but LO doesn't ever sit down and just "watch" tv.
    Kinley Joy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I put DS in his bouncy in front of the tv for about 10-15 mins on the 3 days I work. I have limited time to get him and I ready, and it's the only thing that consistently works to keep his attention while I get dressed, wash my face, etc. I'm hopeful that as he gets older and can sit himself, he will be able to occupy himself without it, because I'd like a very limited amount of tv in his life. Honestly, I feel a little guilty about it, but I also understand that such a limited amount is very unlikely to be harmful, and that reality gets in the way of perfection sometimes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"