Baby Names

Husband finally suggested a boy name, WDYT? (Longish)

The entire time I've been pg, I've been the one suggesting name possiblities for our son, and DH has been shooting most of them down.  Finally, the other day, he comes to me with a name he completely adores: Daxton.

I had never heard of Daxton, although I've heard of Dax, and when I asked him if he made it up he said no, it is a real name and actually the name of a city in France.  He proceeds to tell me how he loves this name and really loves the idea of the baby having the same initials as him (his name is Dylan Grant G__, so the baby would be Daxton Geoffrey G__, where "Geoffrey" is my father's name).  We both agree that we prefer names that are not on the "most popular" lists, so something unique (but not made up).

Anyway, I keep flip-flopping on the name.  Somedays I really love it's uniqueness, but sometimes I'm not sure if it's too out there.  I am happy DH has finally taken an interest at least!

Any thoughts as if this is a good name or is it atrocious?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Husband finally suggested a boy name, WDYT? (Longish)

• It's not atrocious but it's not good.
  • It isn't my style at all. It does sound made up but I wouldn't say it is horrible.

ETA: There is a professional beach volleyball player from the USA named Daxton Holdren.  I couldn't find any place in France called Daxton, but there is a Dax in France.

• Loading the player...
  • coktcokt member
    I've heard worse. It is not super awful, but I definitely think it sounds made up. At least it is easy to pronounce and not spelled weird. Dax as a nn could definitely grow on me, it is just the full name of Daxton that isn't great for me.
  • I like Dax, but not Daxton.. and I like Dexter better than Daxton.
  • I don't know.  Something about it makes it sound harsh.  It must be the "D" at the beginning because I like Paxton better.  But I'm not the biggest fan of names with "x" in them. 

What about Dayton?  Or Dalton? 

• imageali1007:
    I like Dax, but not Daxton.. and I like Dexter better than Daxton.

This.  Plus, the nn "Dex" is super similar to "Dax."  Then you get the sound that you and DH like without the "made-up" feeling that Daxton has. 

• To me it looks like the next name in a long line of Jack, Jackson, Jaxon, Braxton, Paxton etc. I don't like it, although I do have a soft spot for Dax since I'm a big Star Trek nerd, and there was a character named, Jadzia Dax. So I guess in short, it's more of a sci-fi name to me.

ETA: I would still never use Dax as a human name...maybe a dog or a cat.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Honestly, I love Dax. It is trendy but I still like it. However, Daxton, even though it may be a city in France, still sounds made up here in America. I do give kudos to your DH for contributing to the naming process but, IMO, he may need to go back to the drawing board. GL!

• Dax is ok.  But I really don't like Daxton. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't like Daxton or Dax at all. It does sound made up to me. I would use Dexter, although I don't really care for that name either, but at least it doesn't sound made up.
  • According to Wikipedia, there are a few athletes with the name, Daxton. Donny Osmond supposedly named his son this also. (Daxton Michael).

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=Daxton

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • I love it!! Plus it will mean something to your DH!! You could and probably will call him Dax which is very cute and cool for when he is older.

Dax Shepard is a popular actor and is very funny :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image   and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I like different names. Daxton Geoffrey sounds great to me. My favorite "d" boys name is Denton.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I like it. It's NMS, but at the same time I'm not saying, "I would NEVER name my kid that" - because if my husband suggested it, I would consider it. And it certainly isn't atrocious. It is cute, actually. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • imageHappyMrsK:
    I don't like Daxton or Dax at all. It does sound made up to me. I would use Dexter, although I don't really care for that name either, but at least it doesn't sound made up.

I agree...Daxton sounds really, really trendy to me.  I also think it's kind of hard to say for some reason.

• sorry, it still sounds made up even if it isn't. it sounds like you liked paxton but wanted something less popular. if it helps, my favorite D boy name is davis.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imaged.squaredII:

imageali1007:
    I like Dax, but not Daxton.. and I like Dexter better than Daxton.

This.  Plus, the nn "Dex" is super similar to "Dax."  Then you get the sound that you and DH like without the "made-up" feeling that Daxton has. 

i totally agree. dexter is similar and wayyyyyy better.

good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • NMS, but it's not awful.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I prefer Dexter to Daxton. Here's what I found on Babynames.com about it.

https://www.babynames.com/name/DAXTON

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• imagebraveangel2:

To me it looks like the next name in a long line of Jack, Jackson, Jaxon, Braxton, Paxton etc. I don't like it.

Agreed. It also just has kind of an awkward sound to me.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • imagebraveangel2:

To me it looks like the next name in a long line of Jack, Jackson, Jaxon, Braxton, Paxton etc.

Agreed. What about something with a similar vibe but less made-up sounding?

Dalton, Deacon, Dexter. 

• imagejoanithegreat:

It isn't my style at all. It does sound made up but I wouldn't say it is horrible.

this

11.10.10 from my belly to my heart at 11wks 5days

• Thanks for all the opinions ladies!  I definitely agree with those of you who really liked "Dax", so I'll have to see if I like it enough to go with the full name of Daxton.  I don't really like Dexter or Dalton (bad name associations with people I know), but I appreciate the suggestions.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"