1st Trimester

Cleaning Chemicals and Baby

I know it is said that you have to be careful with smelling certain things (i.e. gas fumes cigarette smoke are some obvious) but I forgot to ask my doctor about household cleaning chemicals. I use Clorox Cleanup and the stink is just too much for me now, but I am not sure about how these things might be affecting my baby. Any thoughts? 

Re: Cleaning Chemicals and Baby

• I haven't heard anything. I'm sure too much is bad but just a quick clean up shouldn't be too terrible just keep it very vented. 
  • I'm not sure how it'll affect the baby, but if you can't stand it then just avoid it.  I clean with a vinegar water mix, and just have a fan pointing away from me if it's too strong.  For hard-to-scrub spots I'll sprinkle a little baking soda and spray some vinegar on it and let it fizzle out....usually wipes away no problem.  If it doesn't then I'll pour a little boiling water and let the water cool, then wipe.

And it's eco-friendly and cheap too!

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Loading the player...
  • I got the Target Method brand, it's non toxic and natural stuff, or I use the 7th generation products...both clean well and have pleasant smells.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm kind of a dork on this kind of stuff, LOL!. So, I looked up the MSDS sheet. It says, "Exposure to vapor or mist may irritate eyes, nose, throat, lungs." 

Spray Kind: https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/msds/cloroxcleanup/cloroxclean-upcleanerwithbleach-spray.pdf

Not Spray Kind: https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/msds/cloroxcleanup/cloroxclean-upcleanerwithbleach.pdf

I don't know that those things directly impact baby, but they do impact you. I'm not all doomsday about it, but I think that pretty much EVERYONE--PG or not--would be better off scrapping harsh chemicals and green cleaning (there are tons of books and websites on this). Reading MSDS sheets can be very eye-opening and having a baby is the perfect time to wrangle up motivation for product change.

• I read that when using household cleaning products, it is important to wear rubber gloves and wash hands thoroughly when done.
  • Safest thing to do is avoid chemical fumes.

Bleach, ammonia, acetone, even rubbing alcohol--these are things you don't want to be smelling or touching regularly. If you use a little bit once a week it's probably fine, but if clorox is something you use daily, you should find a less-toxic replacement product.

ETA: this is advice I got from an epidemiologist who specializes in toxic exposures and birth defects.

Photobucket Alice Julia - born 3/25/11
  • These are all great ideas and suggestions. Thank you ladies! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"