Baby Showers

Two-mothers to be?

Hello all. Im planning a baby shower w/my niece,we're due a month apart. But I would like any ideas on planning this. The only thing we got so far is the date 10/10/10. Again any thoughts/plans will be a load off my stressed out shoulders. Thankyou in advance

Re: Two-mothers to be?

• a joint shower can work out nicely, just keep the guest list to a minimum. if you invite every person both of you know, it's likely to be super overwhelming for everyone involved.  I will say, tho, that if you are one of the guests of honor, you shouldn't be throwing the shower yourself......... 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • its more like im throwing her one and she's throwing me 1!! LOL. But  it might benefit us both being on the same date(price range) But how should I/we plan it? Wording on invites,cake?? Im coming up wth blanks.....

• Loading the player...
  • I have to say a joint shower is awkward. It might be convenient for you, but as a guest I would feel pressured to buy 2 gifts which is not always easy especially considering the economy these days. If I was only close to one of the expectant moms I would rather not go since I wouldn't care to bring a gift for someone I don't know/care for etc simply because she shared the shower with my friend.

Also, realistically....I don't think anyone you invite will see this as you throwing a shower for the other. It comes across as both of you throwing a shower for yourselves which is tacky.  Just my 2 pennies worth....

• imageSugarpie3:

Also, realistically....I don't think anyone you invite will see this as you throwing a shower for the other. It comes across as both of you throwing a shower for yourselves which is tacky.  Just my 2 pennies worth....

Ditto this. 

And also ditto- keep the guest list small and to people who know BOTH of you and would invite to seperate showers anyhow.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageSugarpie3:

I have to say a joint shower is awkward. It might be convenient for you, but as a guest I would feel pressured to buy 2 gifts which is not always easy especially considering the economy these days. If I was only close to one of the expectant moms I would rather not go since I wouldn't care to bring a gift for someone I don't know/care for etc simply because she shared the shower with my friend.

Ditto this.  I don't think this is a good idea.  It really does just look like you're throwing yourself a shower, and people will feel awkward (I know I would...).  f you want to throw each other showers, do it separately.  You can actually be very economical and still have a nice shower.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• While this is a different approach to a shower, beings its your Niece I would imagine that most of the family would be shared, so the guest lists would be very similar.

Once you add your husbands family and her SO and both your friends and hers I think it becomes awkward.

Is this the only shower you are having?

This may seem crazy, but if you are "throwing" her shower and she yours, why not have her send out the invites for your friends and family, and you hers. If you don't let everyone its a joint shower then they wouldn't feel obligated  to get you both a gift.

To avoid sending duplicate invites to common family just come up with a special invite for them.

imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • SInce you asked for advice on HOW to throw a conjoined shower and not opinions on a joint shower (which I think is cute exspecially if you are close). Here are some ideas

1. I would make this about your family and maybe have a diffrent kind of shower for friends that you dont share.

2. I think this will work out good since if you werent doing it together they would have to attend two showers on seperate days and buy seperate gifts anyway *Kutos for thinking about this if you did.

3. There are a lot of invitation options out there you can re-word for the two of you. * I would just put on there.  "A party to celebrate bringing two more wonderful chilldren into our family" or something like that.

4. I dont know if you are having the same sex or diffrent bu as far as cakes you could do 2 smaller cakes (maybe one vanilla one chocolate) or some places will divide a sheet cake in half and decorate 2 sides diffrently.

I hope some of this helped. Congratulations and dont worry about what people on here think. You know your family and friends better then any of us ever could you know what they will find tacky and what they will be ok with! I got some of the same responses since I ordered personalized invitations for my baby shower and since I dont work I am sending them out for my sister who is having my shower.

Honestly I look at it as you two are splitting the work and expenses and making it easier on each other! Good time management and planning skills!

image image  image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would rather attend two showers, so I don't have to foot up for two gifts at one.  Maybe two weeks apart... meaning a paycheck apart. 

• Thanks so much for your INPUT ON HELPING!!! I also found alot of ideas on the wording for the invitations. Im having a girl and she's having a boy-its turning out to a lot more fun then i thought. Its not  that hard from a single one(I planned my niece's two years ago)just a little bit more effort)Its going to be two types of cake and ALL of our family is close so its going to be a big and fun time

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"