3rd Trimester

Because nothing is TMI here...

Enema or no Enema.. that is the question. I obviously would like to keep my delivery room poo free but on the other hand I've never had one, don't know how it works {other than it goes up your butt} and am worried about having a quick delivery and pooing my kid out while I'd be stuck on the toilet.

Not a pretty picture.

*Edit- FYI- I know not everyone gets one. My docotor however casually mentioned that he thinks all his patients should get one but don't have to.

I think the punk is scared of a little poo.

Re: Because nothing is TMI here...

• I didn't need one. My body was kind enough to clean itself out before I went to the hospital. Haha, Althought I guess I never thought of it. Good post!! Yes
  • I had one with DD...they gave it to me as soon as I got to the hospital, and they told me to wait 10 minutes before I went to the bathroom. About 2 minutes later, I nearly ripped my IV line out trying to get to the bathroom...lol.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • Ah I wouldn't even worry about! You'll be too busy worried about other things! And if your Dr. is scared of a little poo then I wouldn't do it just to be mean! :) Just kidding!  I think you'll be just fine without it! Good luck
  • imagejessie395:

I had one with DD...they gave it to me as soon as I got to the hospital, and they told me to wait 10 minutes before I went to the bathroom. About 2 minutes later, I nearly ripped my IV line out trying to get to the bathroom...lol.

Do you poo it all out at once or it it like a diarhea thing where you have to keep going to the bathroom?

• My OB doesnt do them.  She said "all that would happen is you'd be sh*tting all day".  Ha! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelissasue3:
    Are you getting an epi?  If so then you'll never notice you're doing it... unless your nurse/doctor is an a$$ and says something.

Hell to the yes. I have no disire to be a martyr. I plan on getting all the drugs they offer me. I'm a big b!tch.

• I just had my birthing class at the hospital.  They did not mention enemas.  Never would have thought to get one till you mentioned it.

I guess I figure, if I sh!t, I sh!t.  Hoping nature will flush me out beforehand, but after seeing a film of the birthing of the placenta, I just don't care anymore.  Let nature take her course.  Not like the people at the hospital haven't seen it all before.  ;)

• i wouldn't. and you really won't care when the time comes- i promise.

i was totally freaked out about it- i made sure i went that morning & since i was induced i really couldn't eat anything- so i thought i was home free.

no such luck. i pooped. but i could BARELY tell (the only reason i even could is because i had a mirror) and the nurse cleans it up so fast & they don't say anything. i actually asked & she said "yes dear but don't you even worry about it. happens 95% of the time! no PUSH!"

so yeah- you don't care. they don't care. no one cares.

• I was worried with my first that I would poo while pushing. But I didnt, I wouldnt have noticed if I did (I had an epi). DH actually told me after I had DD that I had not pooed. He knew I had been worried about it Big Smile
  • My hospital will not give an enema. 

I will say my body completely cleaned itself out before I even made it to the hospital.  I guess that's one of the benefits of laboring at home a bit without an epi.  No joke I think I poo'ed 7 times before we got in the car.

I also say, having been through labor/delivery...had I poo'ed on the table I probably would not have cared!

• Enema.  It is pretty standard everywhere else in the world & I like the idea of having the baby arrive in a poo-free environment.  I have nothing against anyone who doesn't get one though.  Just a personal choice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image**Octoberbride09**:
    imagejessie395:

I had one with DD...they gave it to me as soon as I got to the hospital, and they told me to wait 10 minutes before I went to the bathroom. About 2 minutes later, I nearly ripped my IV line out trying to get to the bathroom...lol.

Do you poo it all out at once or it it like a diarhea thing where you have to keep going to the bathroom?

It was all at once! I only went to the bathroom that one time and it cleaned me out...lol

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I had to use one once for other reasons (non-pregnancy).  The concern I have is that it was a bit....explosive, came on suddenly and went on for a while.  Not to be gross, but I'd be afraid if I was *ahem* 'backed up' that it would go on for hours and that I wouldn't finish before it was hospital time.
  • I didn't get one the first time but I think I'd be more embarrassed to get an enema in front of dh and having the nurses down there poking around then if I just pooed for a quick second and they wisked it away.
  • Really, it's all just a matter of when the poo comes out and who has to deal with it. I think I'd prefer to not even realize it's happening and go while pushing (which is no big deal to the drs or nurses) rather than having to manage getting to the toilet while having contractions in order to empty out early. Especially since I've heard that even an enema doesn't guarantee you won't have to go again.
  • image**Octoberbride09**:
    imagejessie395:

I've done them a couple times, and it mostly comes all out at once, or at least twice within an half hour..  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagesavannah_girl:

Its more like you push, then poo, then push then poo.

As an L/D nurse, I actually like seeing poop. That means your pushing right. I just clean it up after the 3 pushes. Not a big deal. I don't even tell my patients that they pooped.

i hope my nurse is as great - i had figured i wouldn't even be offered an enema, since i've read that as they're no longer considered medically necessary before birth, women just don't get them anymore. but i certainly don't want to know if i poo, either.  Embarrassed

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I probably won't get one... they get paid big money to deal with the blood and poop. I'm with PP though, if I do, I hope no one tells me. lol
  • From what I have read, your body kinda naturally cleans out in the day before it goes into labor, so you are less likely to need one if you go into labor naturally instead of being induced. I wouldnt have a problem having one, but then I have had before for non pg reasons. It does tend to be nice to get the entire system cleaned out at once, but I kinda think that once in labor, I am also not going to care. Doc has already said that the baby is not the only thing getting pushed out and they are used to it and having to clean up.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• The only reason I am considering getting one is because the nurse that taught our childbirth class recommended it.  She said that since the rectum is right next to the cervix and uterus that it can help stimulate that area to progress more (if you are stalled).  Or something like that.
  • I am on the fence about it.  Hospital birth with DS and although it was recommended I didn't use it and didn't poo.  However we are having a home birth this time, possibly a waterbirth and although it gets scooped out quickly I have no desire to be swimming in feces.  

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
  • imagesavannah_girl:

Its more like you push, then poo, then push then poo.

So that's a PUSH PRESENT!!

Sorry... just was reading some threads about that, and it was the first thing that came to mind!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"