February 2011 Moms

Poll: Would you buy a used breast pump?

I just agreed to buy a friend's pump for a great deal.. it's a Medela system, and it's so much cheaper than you'd ever find it in stores! I got to thinking, though.. is it weird that I'm not bothered by the fact that someone else has used it? What do you think?

[Poll]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Poll: Would you buy a used breast pump?

• You can buy new tubing and things that touch the milk and the breast.  Hospitals rent out breastpumps to new moms and give them new things of these.
  • At first I thought it was gross to buy used, but then I saw the prices of new ones.  I'm sure I'll deal with much grosser stuff once the baby is born... Stick out tongue

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • to me it's gross

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just can't do it. However, I will gladly scour the internet for good deals. I found my pump for $80 cheaper on Amazon!
    Baby Blog
    BFP#1 5.27.10 DS became an angel at 21 weeks on 9.22.10
    BFP#2 4.16.11 Healthy baby girl born 12.14.11
    BFP#3 9.3.12 A healthy, bouncing baby SISTER on the way! EDD 5.12.13

• Do you know how much she used her pump?  For example, I EP'd for DS for 1 year, so I figure I have used my pump well over 1,000 hours.  While it still technically functions OK, I will be buying a new one for this child because I question how great the suction still is.  I'm not sure if there's a way to evaluate how well the pump actually still works, but I would be worried about the suction. 

• The most expensive part is the mechanism itself, which doesn't touch the breasts at all. The parts that touch the breast and milk can all be easily replaced, so I don't think its gross.

I actually used to think it was gross until I saw my girl friend pump and I realized the mechanism itself never touches the milk.

2.5 yrs TTC #1 - DX = Stage IV Endo, Lap performed Jan 2010
    TTC #1 - May 2010 - IUI #3: BFP 
    TTC #2 - May 2012 -IUI #2: BFP
    TTC #3 - Jan 2013 -Surprise BFP!
    Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • imagenicoleandadam:

Do you know how much she used her pump?  For example, I EP'd for DS for 1 year, so I figure I have used my pump well over 1,000 hours.  While it still technically functions OK, I will be buying a new one for this child because I question how great the suction still is.  I'm not sure if there's a way to evaluate how well the pump actually still works, but I would be worried about the suction. 

She only breastfed/pumped (did both, only pumping at work) for about 3 months; then they weaned her son onto formula. So, I figure it hasn't had a whole lot of use. It such a nice system. This is it: https://tinyurl.com/29utdfo

• I'm using my cousin's pump. She pumped for the 6 weeks of her mat leave with both of her boys and then switched to formula. It's a top of the line Medela and I'll just have to look for new tubing etc.
  • Did some research on this after a friend offered me hers. Found this online. I know it is a personal decision, but still, good to know.

Though it may be tempting to share or borrow a friend's personal-use breast pump, or buy one used, the FDA and breastfeeding experts caution against it. Breast milk can carry bacteria and viruses ? including hepatitis, HIV, and cytomegalovirus ? that can contaminate these pumps and pass an infection to you and your baby. Because droplets of milk can get into the internal parts of these pumps, using your own collection kit doesn't necessarily make them safe to use.

Pumps designed for multiple users, like rental pumps and hospital pumps, don't have this problem. They're designed to prevent breast milk from getting inside the pump. So as long as you use them with your own personal collection kit, they're safe.

To find out whether a pump is okay to use secondhand, check the packaging or call the manufacturer. If it's designated as a "single-user" pump, it should be used by only one person.

• I would and have bought a used closed system breast pump, and used my old tubing.  I wouldn't do the Madela, personally.
  • No. I read a few articles on the differences between the hospital pumps (or pumps you can rent from the hospital) and single user pumps. The single user pumps have the possibility of contamination. I bought a pump with my first baby and used it again with my 2nd. I have gotten great use out of it so I feel like I have definitely gotten my money's worth! I will use it again if all works out:)
  • I rented one from the hospital so I'd use a used one. I have two sets of pump parts so I wouldn't have to buy any new parts for it.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imagenicoleandadam:

Do you know how much she used her pump?  For example, I EP'd for DS for 1 year, so I figure I have used my pump well over 1,000 hours.  While it still technically functions OK, I will be buying a new one for this child because I question how great the suction still is.  I'm not sure if there's a way to evaluate how well the pump actually still works, but I would be worried about the suction. 

I went to a "seminar" about breast feeding and the pumps and there is this tiny white part that actually controls the pumping and how well it pumps. You can buy a replacement "little white part" for your pump and it should be as good as new. At least this is what I was told.  

• imagesararose05:
    You can buy new tubing and things that touch the milk and the breast.  Hospitals rent out breastpumps to new moms and give them new things of these.

Agreed. My pump has been around the block! My sil gave it to me, I gave it to my bf, she gave it back and Ient it to another friend lol. You're exactly right, nothing touches bodily fluid except the tubing, valves, and membranes and I've become very good friends with an authorized madela sales rep that works in the maternity ward at our local hospital over the last few years, as I've bought parts from her several times. :)

O - and I'll be using the same pump in abt 6 months ;)

Nicole, Mommy to baby Jordan Santiago born 3-31-06 and Isabella Grace born 1/28/2011 image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • A lot of times your insurance will cover a new one for free or at a very minimal cost as long as you get it from a hospital pharmacy and get a note from your doctor.  I would check into that if you are having second thoughts!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"