3rd Trimester

getting your dog ready for baby

So, we have been trying to do a few things to get our dog ready for the baby.  One thing I heard to do was to put some baby lotion (etc) on your hands and then pet them to let the dog get used to some of the new baby smells in a really positive way. 

Well, last night I put some lotion on, and when I went to pet him, all my dog wanted to do was try to lick it off.  I wasn't sure if I should let him lick it or just sniff it or what.  I have been thinking about it though, and I am afraid that now he thinks it is some sort of food product?? Stick out tongue  What would you do? 

Re: getting your dog ready for baby

• Oh Pixy! hehe!

Well he probably thinks its food my dogs think playdough is food... I wouldnt try it again for fear of a puppy piles :D

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When your LO is born get DH to bring home the receiving blanket LO is wrapped in and let your dog smell it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't tried the lotion thing, but we have let the dogs sniff all of the baby gear to their hearts content. We turn everything on as well to get them used to the noises.

There are some other really good ideas in this link  https://babiesandbeasts.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20MOST%20IMPORTANT%20post%20in%20here

Also, having read both "Childproofing Your Dog" and "There's a Baby In the House"  I liked "There's A Baby"  better. I don't agree with all the correction methods given in that book just knowing what is effective for my dogs and their training, but to each her own.

• imagejoeandmarsha:
    When your LO is born get DH to bring home the receiving blanket LO is wrapped in and let your dog smell it.

This is what our hospital recommended. We have a special blanket we purchased, which DH will bring home to our dog.

image image

• What kind of puppy do you have?  I've never heard of the lotion-on-hands technique, although I bet it works really well.  It's been something my husband and I have been worried about for a while, too.  We've got our pup (a year and a half old Australian Shepherd) pretty well trained to stay out of baby's room, and thankfully, she's deaf so we don't have to worry about her freaking out if baby starts crying.

I would just let the pup sniff and lick it if she wants.  It can't hurt her too bad, and at least she won't associate the smell (and taste) with something bad.  The whole point is to get her used to and liking the smells, sounds, and little sights of baby, right?

I'm no expert though.

• Mine knew a baby was coming when my water broke, it was nuts.  Then I took a blanket home with me from the NICU (new born intensive care unit) that DS had pee'd all over.  They didnt even care about the baby.  I bet yours will react the same, as long as you don't make a big deal about introductions between baby and dog it should be fine.

• imagejoeandmarsha:
    When your LO is born get DH to bring home the receiving blanket LO is wrapped in and let your dog smell it.

We did this for each one of our little ones.  We actually gave the blanket to the dog and put it in his bed so that sent was always there.

• The nurse that gave DD her first bath gave us the first hat that they put on her. 

Since she had amniotic fluid in her hair when that hat was put on her, the hat smells like the fluid-  which is a combination of DD's smells and mine. The nurse said that combination smell would help the dog instantly associate the baby with me (someone he already likes/respects).  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejoeandmarsha:

We did this with our German Shepard. She took to all of the kids just fine. She did try to take over a mommy until I stood my ground. (We brought baby home, layed her in her bouncy, and when she cried our dog growled at me when I tried to pick LO up......Also got bit a time or two if I raised my voice as they got older.) She will be missed.....just realized this is the first baby without her. 

• My dogs love to like lotion regardless what kind.  They lick my legs after I apply lotion and they like my face lotion as well.  You're dog won't think the baby is food.  If he does, then have your H pee on the dog to show his dominance.
  • We have a large dog and we have been trying to get him ready for the baby's arrival this winter. We have had him since he was 5 weeks old and he is alomost 4 now. A couple of things we have done to try and prep him are:

1. Keep him around the neighborhood kids and others. It has helped and the kids love playing with him. He is gentle with them and honestly just licks them and plays soccer with them.

2. We have been carrying around a baby doll that is life-like and makes noises, so he gets used to seeing us with something in our arms.

3. We constantly refer to the baby by her name so he gets used to hearing her name. When we mention her name now he perks up and is now knows where her room is.

4. As far as scent goes we haven't done anything for that. However, when we do finally have her a friend suggested we wrap her for a couple of hours to get her scent on it. Then when DH goes home to let him out or feed him take the blanket with him so that he gets the scent. Then when we finally all come home, let me go in first for about 10-15mins with another blanket or piece of clothing so he can see me and get used to me again and then have DH come in with DD. Our friends did this with their dog and said it worked great.

Good luck and hope everything goes well.      

• So far, we've let Polar sniff all of the baby's things. We put together the I-Glide(swing/glider) and set it in the living room. We had to move him out of his room(his kennel), since it was becoming the baby's room. It has been a loooong transition, but we are doing it slowly.

Before we come home, dh or my parents will bring a blanket or piece of clothing home with the baby's scent, so he can get used to that as well.

We also will try to give him as much love as possible, as he's been our baby for 6 years.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have been using baby lotion instead of my normal lotion so they get used to having the smell around, and we turn the vibration thingee on the bassinett on and off for times as well as rocking it, but that is pretty much it. My dogs have been around other toddlers and infants before though, one of them is scared and pretty much stays away when they come visit, and the other one thinks the baby is a salt lick and just licks her all over as much as she can cause she smells like formula or BM.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• imagejoeandmarsha:

::Lurking from 0-3::

This is what DH did with LO's hat from the hospital.  He showed it to our two dogs and he said one tried to eat it and the other wanted to take it out in the yard and play with it.

OP: My dogs adjusted very well.  One dog is maybe a little jealous, but we try to include the dogs in activities like walks and car rides, so overall, she's doing well.  The other dog doesn't mind her at all.  He likes to sniff her and lick her feet, but otherwise couldn't care less, it seems.  LO is an accepted member of the pack!

• imagejclaussen77:

imagejoeandmarsha:

We did this with our German Shepard. She took to all of the kids just fine. She did try to take over a mommy until I stood my ground. (We brought baby home, layed her in her bouncy, and when she cried our dog growled at me when I tried to pick LO up......Also got bit a time or two if I raised my voice as they got older.) She will be missed.....just realized this is the first baby without her. 

I am so sorry for your loss. I always thought that my children would get to know our dalmatian. This is our first child and our Cookie has been gone for 2 1/2 years.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• imageKitiara0364:
    imagejclaussen77:

imagejoeandmarsha:

I am so sorry for your loss. I always thought that my children would get to know our dalmatian. This is our first child and our Cookie has been gone for 2 1/2 years.

Thank you. She is missed. Not sure I can mommy a newborn with out her help!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"