2nd Trimester
Options

drank coffee. jittery &dizzy. is my baby safe?

My Dr. told me that a cup of coffee/tea a day is perfectly fine.  I've been drinking one cappucino blast from Baskin Robbins, only once a week, and have not consumed any other types of caffeinated drinks.

I had a medium sized cappucino blast today and I felt very jittery, almost like I was high.  A couple hours later, I felt a bit dizzy. 

I'm scared..I pray that I have not done my baby any harm. (i'm 19 weeks today).

Did anyone out there feel something like I did after drinking coffee?  Is my baby unharmed? 

Re: drank coffee. jittery &dizzy. is my baby safe?

• Options
    Yes, that caffeine just harmed your baby.  You should definitely call the doctor...NOW!
  • Options

Well, I mean... what are you gonna do about it?

I wouldn't worry.  Just watch the espresso.  The recommendation is less than 150mg per day, which is about 1 regular cup of coffee.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    OMG WHY WOULD YOU DRINK COFFEE WHEN YOU'RE PREGNANT?!?!?!?!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

yep your baby is doing the irish jig in your uterus. 

In the future I might reduce the medium to a small if you are reacting to the caffeine 

• Options
    You and your baby will be fine.  Caffeine is fine in moderation.  If you've cut back drastically on your intake, you're probably just more sensitive to the effects of it.  I drank Diet Coke all through my pregnancy with DD and have done the same with this one.  Don't worry about it.
  • Options

imagewife1014:
    Yes, that caffeine just harmed your baby.  You should definitely call the doctor...NOW!

Yes

• Options
    It is probably the combination of the sugar and the caffeine. Plus some of those drinks have a powered mix which contains who knows what. Caffeine in moderation is fine and I have had coffee when pregnant but i would recommend making it at home where you know exactly how much caffeine is in it
  • Options

I would guess your body just isn't used to the caffeine.  Your doctor told you one a day is ok, surely one a week is fine. Did you eat something with it? Drink enough water?

If it bothers you make it a small next week, get something else, or make sure you eat/drink enough. Caffeine on an empty stomach makes me super jittery. Dehydration can make you dizzy.

Really. Don't worry.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagebabyonthebrain2010:
    OMG WHY WOULD YOU DRINK COFFEE WHEN YOU'RE PREGNANT?!?!?!?!

Yes

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Really you and baby will be fine!! Make sure you drink plenty of water, and make it a small one next time! You body isn't use to that much caffeine now and it's reacting to it. It's a tough lesson to learn cause you feel like crap, physically, afterwards!
  • Options
    Whoa.. I thought I was in 1st tri again when I read this question. You're fine. Drink a lot of water and lay off the caffeine for a few days.
  • Options
    *sigh*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage Isaac's Momma
  • Options
    So a espresso is different than a cup of coffee a day!  Espresso has a ton of caffine.  You didnt hurt your baby but use your thinker a little more Smile
  • Options

imagekyrastapp:
    So a espresso is different than a cup of coffee a day!  Espresso has a ton of caffine.  You didnt hurt your baby but use your thinker a little more Smile

Totally not snarky, but that's actually completely wrong. Espresso is stronger PER OUNCE but an espresso drink is often less caffeinated overall than a regular coffee drink. For example, a 12 ounce coffee (a tall Americano from Starbucks) has about 150 milligrams of caffeine, while a 12 ounce latte which has one shot of espresso, has 75 milligrams of caffeine. So yeah, if you drank a cup full of espresso, it would have more caffeine than a cup full of coffee, but that would be crazy and a small espresso drink has 1 shot in it. A Grande usually has two, a Venti 3, and so on.

It's kind of like saying a french fry is fattier than a Big Mac. The french fry may have more fat per ounce (I'm making this up) but you're better off eating one french fry than a Big Mac, KWIM?

OP- you're fine, but stick with the small next time. It's less caffiene and fewer sugary calories, neither of which are doing you any good.

Edited to add: doctors recommend you stay under something like 200-300 mg of caffeine a day, so your medium drink probably had two shots of espresso, MAYBE three, which would put you around 225. So don't drive yourself nuts. If I get more than one shot of espresso, I feel awful, too, but I'm sure your LO is fine (probably a little extra wiggly today, though!)

Now I'm off to make a cappuccino...

• Options

My guess?  It's not the caffeine (of which I'm certain there's a fairly minimal amount), it's the sugar.  https://www.baskinrobbins.com/Nutrition/product.aspx?Category=Beverages&id=BV003

72 grams of carbs, dude.  That's a LOT of sugar. 

ETA:  To answer your question: YES, I do feel jittery & dizzy when I eat that much sugar in one serving - particularly if it was on an empty stomach.  I feel a bit jittery when I drink caffeine, but it doesn't bother me that much.

• Options
    imageIncogNeato:

imagekyrastapp:

Totally not snarky, but that's actually completely wrong. Espresso is stronger PER OUNCE but an espresso drink is often less caffeinated overall than a regular coffee drink. For example, a 12 ounce coffee (a tall Americano from Starbucks) has about 150 milligrams of caffeine, while a 12 ounce latte which has one shot of espresso, has 75 milligrams of caffeine. So yeah, if you drank a cup full of espresso, it would have more caffeine than a cup full of coffee, but that would be crazy and a small espresso drink has 1 shot in it. A Grande usually has two, a Venti 3, and so on.

Soooo this!  I love the whole-"I'm so tired I'm gettin an espresso"!  People have know idea what they are talking about and just make assumptions.

• Options
    imagegrr_aargh:

My guess?  It's not the caffeine (of which I'm certain there's a fairly minimal amount), it's the sugar.  https://www.baskinrobbins.com/Nutrition/product.aspx?Category=Beverages&id=BV003

72 grams of carbs, dude.  That's a LOT of sugar. 

Yup, i would have to go with this answer.

• Options
    I feel this way if I drink coffee/espresso whatever when I am not pregnant.  I agree it is a combo of the sugar and caffeine.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    Whoa! That's a lot of sugar, fat, and calories! Eeep! That makes my tall skinny iced mocha look like health food! (130 calories of chocolaty deliciousness!)
  • Options
    imageIncogNeato:

imagekyrastapp:

It's kind of like saying a french fry is fattier than a Big Mac. The french fry may have more fat per ounce (I'm making this up) but you're better off eating one french fry than a Big Mac, KWIM?

True story!  Thanks for posting this I was about to after I saw the misnomer, but now I can sip my coffee and just agree with you.

• Options
    [

Holy crap that's a lot of sugar, 65g!  about 20g is what's recommended per day for a woman.  That's something like 15 teaspoons of sugar...go with the small of go over to dunkin (here they share a building) and get an iced coffee.

• Options

imageflgirl79:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Love that episode!

I've cut my caffeine back too, and when I have a large sweet tea or something, it does make me jittery... but I think it's mostly from the sugar!

Drinking caffeine in moderation does not make you a criminal. *shakes head and gives peace sign* I am not a crook!

• Options
    Your baby is fine....I drink coffee everyday.  One cup but I can't give it up.  I grew up drinking coffee and when I had my level 2 ultrasound last week the baby was perfectly fine. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"