2nd Trimester

drank coffee. jittery &dizzy. is my baby safe?

My Dr. told me that a cup of coffee/tea a day is perfectly fine.  I've been drinking one cappucino blast from Baskin Robbins, only once a week, and have not consumed any other types of caffeinated drinks.

I had a medium sized cappucino blast today and I felt very jittery, almost like I was high.  A couple hours later, I felt a bit dizzy. 

I'm scared..I pray that I have not done my baby any harm. (i'm 19 weeks today).

Did anyone out there feel something like I did after drinking coffee?  Is my baby unharmed? 

Re: drank coffee. jittery &dizzy. is my baby safe?

• Yes, that caffeine just harmed your baby.  You should definitely call the doctor...NOW!
  • Well, I mean... what are you gonna do about it?

I wouldn't worry.  Just watch the espresso.  The recommendation is less than 150mg per day, which is about 1 regular cup of coffee.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • OMG WHY WOULD YOU DRINK COFFEE WHEN YOU'RE PREGNANT?!?!?!?!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yep your baby is doing the irish jig in your uterus. 

In the future I might reduce the medium to a small if you are reacting to the caffeine 

• You and your baby will be fine.  Caffeine is fine in moderation.  If you've cut back drastically on your intake, you're probably just more sensitive to the effects of it.  I drank Diet Coke all through my pregnancy with DD and have done the same with this one.  Don't worry about it.
  • imagewife1014:
    Yes, that caffeine just harmed your baby.  You should definitely call the doctor...NOW!

Yes

• It is probably the combination of the sugar and the caffeine. Plus some of those drinks have a powered mix which contains who knows what. Caffeine in moderation is fine and I have had coffee when pregnant but i would recommend making it at home where you know exactly how much caffeine is in it
  • I would guess your body just isn't used to the caffeine.  Your doctor told you one a day is ok, surely one a week is fine. Did you eat something with it? Drink enough water?

If it bothers you make it a small next week, get something else, or make sure you eat/drink enough. Caffeine on an empty stomach makes me super jittery. Dehydration can make you dizzy.

Really. Don't worry.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagebabyonthebrain2010:
    OMG WHY WOULD YOU DRINK COFFEE WHEN YOU'RE PREGNANT?!?!?!?!

Yes

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Really you and baby will be fine!! Make sure you drink plenty of water, and make it a small one next time! You body isn't use to that much caffeine now and it's reacting to it. It's a tough lesson to learn cause you feel like crap, physically, afterwards!
  • Whoa.. I thought I was in 1st tri again when I read this question. You're fine. Drink a lot of water and lay off the caffeine for a few days.
  • *sigh*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage Isaac's Momma
  • So a espresso is different than a cup of coffee a day!  Espresso has a ton of caffine.  You didnt hurt your baby but use your thinker a little more Smile
  • imagekyrastapp:
    So a espresso is different than a cup of coffee a day!  Espresso has a ton of caffine.  You didnt hurt your baby but use your thinker a little more Smile

Totally not snarky, but that's actually completely wrong. Espresso is stronger PER OUNCE but an espresso drink is often less caffeinated overall than a regular coffee drink. For example, a 12 ounce coffee (a tall Americano from Starbucks) has about 150 milligrams of caffeine, while a 12 ounce latte which has one shot of espresso, has 75 milligrams of caffeine. So yeah, if you drank a cup full of espresso, it would have more caffeine than a cup full of coffee, but that would be crazy and a small espresso drink has 1 shot in it. A Grande usually has two, a Venti 3, and so on.

It's kind of like saying a french fry is fattier than a Big Mac. The french fry may have more fat per ounce (I'm making this up) but you're better off eating one french fry than a Big Mac, KWIM?

OP- you're fine, but stick with the small next time. It's less caffiene and fewer sugary calories, neither of which are doing you any good.

Edited to add: doctors recommend you stay under something like 200-300 mg of caffeine a day, so your medium drink probably had two shots of espresso, MAYBE three, which would put you around 225. So don't drive yourself nuts. If I get more than one shot of espresso, I feel awful, too, but I'm sure your LO is fine (probably a little extra wiggly today, though!)

Now I'm off to make a cappuccino...

• My guess?  It's not the caffeine (of which I'm certain there's a fairly minimal amount), it's the sugar.  https://www.baskinrobbins.com/Nutrition/product.aspx?Category=Beverages&id=BV003

72 grams of carbs, dude.  That's a LOT of sugar. 

ETA:  To answer your question: YES, I do feel jittery & dizzy when I eat that much sugar in one serving - particularly if it was on an empty stomach.  I feel a bit jittery when I drink caffeine, but it doesn't bother me that much.

• imageIncogNeato:

imagekyrastapp:
    So a espresso is different than a cup of coffee a day!  Espresso has a ton of caffine.  You didnt hurt your baby but use your thinker a little more Smile

Totally not snarky, but that's actually completely wrong. Espresso is stronger PER OUNCE but an espresso drink is often less caffeinated overall than a regular coffee drink. For example, a 12 ounce coffee (a tall Americano from Starbucks) has about 150 milligrams of caffeine, while a 12 ounce latte which has one shot of espresso, has 75 milligrams of caffeine. So yeah, if you drank a cup full of espresso, it would have more caffeine than a cup full of coffee, but that would be crazy and a small espresso drink has 1 shot in it. A Grande usually has two, a Venti 3, and so on.

Soooo this!  I love the whole-"I'm so tired I'm gettin an espresso"!  People have know idea what they are talking about and just make assumptions.

• imagegrr_aargh:

My guess?  It's not the caffeine (of which I'm certain there's a fairly minimal amount), it's the sugar.  https://www.baskinrobbins.com/Nutrition/product.aspx?Category=Beverages&id=BV003

72 grams of carbs, dude.  That's a LOT of sugar. 

Yup, i would have to go with this answer.

• I feel this way if I drink coffee/espresso whatever when I am not pregnant.  I agree it is a combo of the sugar and caffeine.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Whoa! That's a lot of sugar, fat, and calories! Eeep! That makes my tall skinny iced mocha look like health food! (130 calories of chocolaty deliciousness!)
  • imageIncogNeato:

imagekyrastapp:

It's kind of like saying a french fry is fattier than a Big Mac. The french fry may have more fat per ounce (I'm making this up) but you're better off eating one french fry than a Big Mac, KWIM?

True story!  Thanks for posting this I was about to after I saw the misnomer, but now I can sip my coffee and just agree with you.

• [

Holy crap that's a lot of sugar, 65g!  about 20g is what's recommended per day for a woman.  That's something like 15 teaspoons of sugar...go with the small of go over to dunkin (here they share a building) and get an iced coffee.

• imageflgirl79:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Love that episode!

I've cut my caffeine back too, and when I have a large sweet tea or something, it does make me jittery... but I think it's mostly from the sugar!

Drinking caffeine in moderation does not make you a criminal. *shakes head and gives peace sign* I am not a crook!

• Your baby is fine....I drink coffee everyday.  One cup but I can't give it up.  I grew up drinking coffee and when I had my level 2 ultrasound last week the baby was perfectly fine. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"