Babies: 6 - 9 Months

I think I have a Sophie Giraffe fake!!

I just don't know which one is the fake!! I bought DS a Sophie about 3 mos ago from our lactation store.  It came w/ a certificates of authenticity, Sophie story..blah blah blah.  No problem.

Then yesterday as I was walking ds I saw a Sophie Giraffe on the ground.  I picked it up and continued my walk to see if I run into the other walking mom.  Anyway, I'm noticing that this found Sophie looks a tad bit bigger than the one I have and her eyes are painted bigger.  Sure enough when I get home I look at our Sophie and the found one is bigger....barely but noticeable none the less. Not bigger in height but overall...like she's had steriods, lol.  There are few more dots on her, too.  I notice that the Sophie I bought has a dot of paint, the color of her spots, on the bottom of her front paw.  The found one doesn't have it.  Even my dh noticed that the found one was different just at first sight. So now we're wondering which one is the fake?? 

Supposedly there's only one factory in France making these things so I'd assume they'd be using the same exact format and there shouldn't be a size difference, right?

Which one does your's sound more like, mine or the found one?  Do you have a dot on the foot bottom?

Re: I think I have a Sophie Giraffe fake!!

• there are no dots on mine.  I got it on Amazon-i don't think they would sell fakes
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our Sophie has a dot and it came with certificates of authenticity too.  I got mine off of diapers.com.
  • Loading the player...
  • I saw those giraffes at Barnes and Nobles. Maybe take them down there and compare them. That is strange they would make fakes they are only like 20 dollars.
  • I have no doubt that mine is real and there is no dot on the bottom (I guess on its hoof?)
  • Mine has a dot and came from babies r us and had all its "papers"
  • I went to the Vulli website and checked out the Sophie.  I enlarged 2 pictures of the Sophie and their spots were in different places.  Maybe they aren't all the same.
  • I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the info on the packaging said something about Sophie being made by hand. This could explain why no two are alike...and also why a teething toy can cost so much.
  • They are hand painted and according to some european website message board they sell it in two sizes. Maybe you have the standard and they got the larger one?
  • imagelarsos:
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the info on the packaging said something about Sophie being made by hand. This could explain why no two are alike...and also why a teething toy can cost so much.

This.  I'm sure I read this on the packaging.

• My sister had one from about 3 years ago and it looks different from the one I just got.  The head is shaped differently now.
  • hmmm....I'll look into the two size thing. 

As for the dot, it's on the bottom of the front foot.  Bottom, meaning if you turn her upside down and the soles of her feet are showing, there's a dot.

I just thought Sophie isn't supposed to have changed in the 30+ yrs.  I'm only concerned b/c I bought it b/c it was all natural rubber and paint.  I would never give ds some rubbery squeak toy made from who-knows-what in China!

I'm going to look for a # and give the customer service a call and see what they say about the dot on one and not the other  and about the obvious differences in the two.  I'll keep you all posted. :)

• DD's has a dot and certificates.

• Several friend's and I all have Sophie's for our LO's and they are all painted slightly differently and I've never considered that one is a fake.  While I understand the concern about where it is made and such, given the popularity and cost of Sophie, doesn't it seem like we'd have heard if there was a counterfeiting problem?
  • It's not just the paint that's different it's the overall size of Sophie.  The found one is bigger.  The head is bigger, the legs are bigger, the body is bigger...not a lot bigger just noticeably bigger.  The found Sophie looks lke she's eaten more leaves than the Sophie I bought. LOL

• Ours doesn't have the dot and we purchased it off Amazon.co.uk. It came with all the certificates and such as well.

Has anyone considered that perhaps the dot is on the ones sold to retail stores like BRU and Barnes & Noble, etc.? Maybe this is how they track sales via the internet vs stores?

• Weird! I took a look at our Sophie and she def. has a small dot on her foot. I also ordered mine from Amazon.
  • Does it really matter?

At $20, they are making a pretty sweet profit, so of course there are going to be knock offs.  I can't imagine someone voluntarily dropping $20 on a glorified dog chew toy.  Ours was given to us, some other schmuck paid for it.  I wouldn't have.

Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
  • imagelindsayll:

Does it really matter?

At $20, they are making a pretty sweet profit, so of course there are going to be knock offs.  I can't imagine someone voluntarily dropping $20 on a glorified dog chew toy.  Ours was given to us, some other schmuck paid for it.  I wouldn't have.

This, but I don't have one and won't ever.

~*~Meghann~*~ Type 1, insulin dependant diabetic for 11 years using a pump and sensor. wedding countdown Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is the dot colored or does it just seem like an excess bit if rubber.  Our Sophie has a bump of rubber on one of the feet.  And it's definitely a real one.
  • There are two sizes. https://www.organiccottonshop.ie/childrens-accessories-page48836-0-45082.html

They sell the standard and the "grande" size. Hope this helps! I just received mine in the mail and my ds seems to like it. 

•  

I thought writing 'This.' in reply to someone was only a teenage boy on the internet type-a-thing. 

Seems this bad habit is spreading, this thread has it multiple times which makes it all the more nauseating.

imagepandagirl15:
    <p>
    imagelarsos:
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the info on the packaging said something about Sophie being made by hand. This could explain why no two are alike...and also why a teething toy can cost so much.
    </p><p>This.&nbsp; I'm sure I read this on the packaging. <br></p>

imageAmbsies:

imagePiranha54:
    Several friend's and I all have Sophie's for our LO's and they are all painted slightly differently and I've never considered that one is a fake.

This.

We have two Sophies and they have slightly different paint.  "Blush" dots are higher, pink mouth paint is smaller.  Both of our Sophies came in the official box with "papers".

imagemeghann0409:
    imagelindsayll:

Does it really matter?

This, but I don't have one and won't ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"