Military Families

Wondering what happens if you get pulled over on base?

Since it is sooo hard to remember to go 15 sometimes, I wondered what would happen if you got a ticket. I think dh has to go talk to his commander and it's so many points or something and you can't get too many points. But what would happen to spouses? A fine? Just curious.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wondering what happens if you get pulled over on base?

• I think the points system applies to anyone who has access to the base.  Once you get so many points, you loose your base driving privileges.  And, I think, your DH would still need to talk to his commander on your behalf.

I'm not sure if this is the same for every base.  My DH tells me, "Just don't get pulled over and you won't have to worry about it."  hah   Angel

• My good friend just went though this :( no fun.

She had to appear before some high ranking officer for what she called "mini court". They talked about the ticket , and she was awarded 4 points. She was going 5 over and got mouthy with the MP and I guess that earned her an extra point. 

She was told when she reached 12-15 points she would lose her rights to drive on base and would have to take classes before she could get that right back.

Our husbands unit is kind of insane, and he did get in trouble for it,  a lot of bad talk at work and he had to take off to go to the mini court with her so he was given duty to make up for it. but I really doubt thats how it is all over the military! 

But I think it is different from base to base, and I know there are Zones where its a lot more serious to be caught speeding then others.

• Loading the player...
  • The specifics are different from base to base (and service to service), but generally one ticket isn't going to cause major trouble. If you're rude or disrespectful, or if you're a habitual violator, your on-base driving privileges will likely be revoked.

It's almost universal that a ticket involves a trip for the sponsor to meet with his chain of command. If you're a mil dependent, your sponsor is responsible for your actions at all times. Same thing whether you speed, or shoplift.

I also wanted to add that speeding in a school zone on base is often an offense that will get your license revoked for just one ticket. We take that VERY seriously.

• It depends on the base, the MP and what you're doing. I know here if you're caught speeding in housing they go nuts! Depending on how fast you're going depends on if you just get a ticket/points or if you get to park in the DUI lot and have someone else drive you on base. (I know talking on the cell phone is a big one here. lol) It also depends on how often you get caught/ticketed. And, yep, the sponsor will have to meet with people and show up for the court date... It's just a huge PITA. My thought is just to try to obey the speed limit. I'm a freak about it on base just because I don't want the headache. Better safe than sorry. :-)

BFP 9/8/10... D&C 10/18/10
    RIP Angel Bear We will always love and miss you xoxo

BFP 10/7/2011; EDD 7/15/12 - STICK BABY STICK!!!!

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imageThe_Spanish_Inquisition:

The specifics are different from base to base (and service to service), but generally one ticket isn't going to cause major trouble. If you're rude or disrespectful, or if you're a habitual violator, your on-base driving privileges will likely be revoked.

It's almost universal that a ticket involves a trip for the sponsor to meet with his chain of command. If you're a mil dependent, your sponsor is responsible for your actions at all times. Same thing whether you speed, or shoplift.

I also wanted to add that speeding in a school zone on base is often an offense that will get your license revoked for just one ticket. We take that VERY seriously.

Unless you are on Camp Lejeune.  The base general when we were there made a one strike and you're screwed policy.  One ticket = loss of base driving privileges. And the local law enforcement worked with them so it applied even if you were pulled over out in town.  I have no idea if it's still in effect since a new BG could have changed it, but I knew a few wives that were none too happy to be getting up at 0430 to drive their husbands to work.

When DH was attending CGSC, they said if the AD member got a ticket, the spouse would lose my driving privileges, too.  I almost wanted him to get one so I could make an appt. with that base general and give him a piece of my mind. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • A girl on the MN board just had her H go through this.  He was pulled over and it was found that the lower enlisted riding in the back of his car did not have their seat belts on.  He had to go to court on post and I believe he lost his privilege to drive on base for 15 days.
  • imageAavWifey:

My good friend just went though this :( no fun.

She had to appear before some high ranking officer for what she called "mini court". They talked about the ticket , and she was awarded 4 points. She was going 5 over and got mouthy with the MP and I guess that earned her an extra point. 

She was told when she reached 12-15 points she would lose her rights to drive on base and would have to take classes before she could get that right back.

Our husbands unit is kind of insane, and he did get in trouble for it,  a lot of bad talk at work and he had to take off to go to the mini court with her so he was given duty to make up for it. but I really doubt thats how it is all over the military! 

But I think it is different from base to base, and I know there are Zones where its a lot more serious to be caught speeding then others.

My hubby said this is pretty on the spot.

• Wowzers. I'm going to take it even more seriously. It's just that sometimes I forget for a second and I'm going 25. But I reeeaaaally don't want dh to have to go talk to anyone for me. He does not have time for that. He is responsible for my behavior? Yikes. So much pressure to be good and I'm still learning the rules.
  • imagehellopoppyseed:
    Wowzers. I'm going to take it even more seriously. It's just that sometimes I forget for a second and I'm going 25. But I reeeaaaally don't want dh to have to go talk to anyone for me. He does not have time for that. He is responsible for my behavior? Yikes. So much pressure to be good and I'm still learning the rules.

Yes.  You should want to reflect a positive and mature manner at all times.  This doesn't mean you can't have fun.

• On every base that we have been stationed at, I was told that if I get pulled over on base, I will lose my driving privileges on base for a certain amount of time.  I would also have to take a driving course.  DH would also be counseled by his command. 

Follow the speed limit.  It is not a difficult task.  You should abide by the laws of the road on base even more so than outside the gates, IMO, because you actions reflect poorly on your DH.  If you can't follow the speed limit, then don't drive.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • driving on base is a privilege and its best to just follow the speed limits and rules to the bone. it's definitely not the same as getting a traffic in the civilian world and you can see how much of a hassle it really is with one of the ladys' stories. and like another wife said anything that happens to you falls on your sponsor and that's not fun at all =/ if you already think a ticket is a hassle in the civilian world just think of it 10x more in the military world. BUT there is a silver lining... you do get a little more slack if youre a dependent compared to if you were just a visitor on the base.
  • Yes clearly I want to follow the rules and don't want to mess up. I've never actually been pulled over by any cop, ever. But sometimes when ds is screaming and I am a little distracted by it or some scenario like that, I catch myself going slightly over. It's an easy thing to do. Just wondering what the consequences were. Thanks for the responses.
  • At the last base we were at (Ft. Drum, NY) if you (as a dependent) got a ticket on post, your spouse AND his direct supervisor had to go to a Saturday class in their dress uniform. 

I liked to threaten my DH that if he made me angry I would speed around post Stick out tongue Until he reminded me that they could also take away my driving privileges on post...

• imagerickisue80:

It depends on the base, the MP and what you're doing. I know here if you're caught speeding in housing they go nuts! Depending on how fast you're going depends on if you just get a ticket/points or if you get to park in the DUI lot and have someone else drive you on base. (I know talking on the cell phone is a big one here. lol) It also depends on how often you get caught/ticketed. And, yep, the sponsor will have to meet with people and show up for the court date... It's just a huge PITA. My thought is just to try to obey the speed limit. I'm a freak about it on base just because I don't want the headache. Better safe than sorry. :-)

I would not LOL at talking on the phone while driving. I was hit by a lady who was on her phone. She was going 40 (imagine if she had been speeding), traffic was backed up and she hit the car behind me going 40 mph (no braking b/c she didn't notice we were stopped), hurt the lady in the car behind me and thank God my kids were ok. After that accident, I take anyone being on the phone or texting while driving very seriously and am very glad that Washington does as well. (and every military base I've ever been on)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"