3rd Trimester

Anyone using their pregnancy to their "advantage"?

This time around, I find myself using the "pregnant" excuse to get out of things. I suffer from PGP so I'm not making many excuses that aren't valid, but I've started using it as a reason for not being able to go places or do many things for myself.  :)

I'm going to get a RX from the doc to get a handicapped placard until I deliver so I don't have to hurt myself walking up to the store, etc.

Anyone else doing this or am I a weirdo? LOL 

Re: Anyone using their pregnancy to their "advantage"?

• No and I think it is dumb to use pregnancy as an excuse.

If you are not on bedrest (home or hospital) then you obviously are well enough to function in society and it is lame to act like pregnancy is the reason you are just being a crappy person/ friend.

• Lame.  You're pregnant, not an invalid.  That's a really unfair thing to do to your friends and family.

• Loading the player...
  • I have not personally used it since I feel really great (for the most part), but I certainly wouldn't judge another woman using it if she wants to and especially if there's a medical reason behind it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageutchic99:

This time around, I find myself using the "pregnant" excuse to get out of things. I suffer from PGP so I'm not making many excuses that aren't valid, but I've started using it as a reason for not being able to go places or do many things for myself.  :)

I'm going to get a RX from the doc to get a handicapped placard until I deliver so I don't have to hurt myself walking up to the store, etc.

Um, what? I'm not sure what PGP is, but I am pregnant, and I have asthma and a broken foot, and I am not using a placard to get a better parking space, even in the Texas summer heat. That's plain frivolous. 

"To me, you are perfect."

• I am one to realize that I'm not the first woman ever to be pregnant...
    imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Before I comment, what is PGP?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No, and I get irritated if someone implies that there is something that I can't or shouldn't do because I'm pregnant.  Honestly the only thing I don't do is carry a heavy basket of laundry up or down two fligts of stairs.  And that's only if DH is around and can do it for me.  Otherwise I do it myself.  People are shocked that I still stay out late with friends or carry my groceries in the house.  I am perfectly capable of doing things for myself and refuse to use pregnancy as a reason to con someone into doing things for me. 
  • Nope, I keep having to remind people that I am perfectly capable of doing things for myself, but I will ask for help if I need it.  I still do my part of the chores around the house. 

My husband keeps telling me that I can park in those "special" parking spots, but I figure there are other people who need it way more than I do. I figure walking a few extra feet can't hurt.  :-)

• I try not too, but on the weekends I let my husband do most of the running after my daughter. I do it all week...so by the weekends I need a break.  At this point I physically am having issues running after her.
  • Having just read that PGP is I think you are even more lame now.

If your PGP pain is so bad that you need special parking then why the hell are you out shopping anyways?

This is lame sauce at its finest.

• I get foot rubs from my husband because I complain that my feet hurt Wink  But honestly no, I do not use pregnancy to my advantage.  I am proud of myself for still working in the yard, grocery shopping, working 40+ hrs a week, and caring for a 1 year old.
  • PGP=Pelvic Girdle Pain

Can be severe to not so bad but is caused by your pelvic bones stretching

I don't know how bad your PGP is, but I only use pregnancy as an excuse in legitimate situations, like "No I can't carry the 30 box up the stairs" or "No, I won't go in the ocean with large waves" or "I'll pass on the wine"

I never use it as an excuse to get out of something.  I'm not disabled - and by doing that you are taking credibility away from people who actually do need the help/parking spot (if, in fact, you don't).

• No, and I think you are pretty lame for acting like you are some sort of invalid. I bet you parked in the pregnant mother spots as soon as you got your BFP.

A handicapped spot? Really?

In this case I might really feel sorry for your husband. lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageNephs13:
    I have not personally used it since I feel really great (for the most part), but I certainly wouldn't judge another woman using it if she wants to and especially if there's a medical reason behind it.

Ditto.  Doesn't bother me.

Married 11-8-08
    DS born 12-10-10
    DD born 11-5-12
    Boy/girl twins arrived 10-10-14!
  • imageMrs.Johns:

No, and I think you are pretty lame for acting like you are some sort of invalid. I bet you parked in the pregnant mother spots as soon as you got your BFP.

A handicapped spot? Really?

In this case I might really feel sorry for your husband. lol

I <3 you.  DH and I watched 3 people who were clearly not needing the expecting mother/mother with infant spots at BJ's last week.  Those spots irritate me...

• i'm amused that you admitted this & expected similar responses.

and no- pregnancy doesn't = a cop out.

• I think handicapped spots should be reserved for those with ACTUAL handicaps. How would you feel if you took the only handicapped spot, and a paraplegic van pulled up and had to park in the back of the lot??

This kinda makes me sick. 

You're pregnant. Women have been doing this for a LONG time, you are perfectly capable of walking to a store from your car. You walk around IN the store, don't you?

Shop online if you're that impaired, but don't abuse the handicapped parking spaces...save them for the people who really need them. Let me guess, you use the handicapped stalls in the bathroom, too?

• I may be in the minority, but I don't see anything wrong with saying "no, I can't stay out late -- I'm really tired." Because I *am*. It's exhausting to grow a human being. I have cut back on my volunteering, deigned to host parties, turned down invitations to events, and yes, I've used the excuse that I'm pregnant. I will not pretend that I have the energy or the inclination for the same schedule I did before I had to deal with the double whammies of growing a human and getting ready for that human to significantly alter my life.

And I don't think I'm using it "to my advantage." I'm being honest. Of course I wish I could still lift heavy things and lug around enormous laundry baskets and go jogging and hang out at bars with my friends. But I can't.

• The OP is lame, but PGP, or PSD, or SPD can be SEVERE. I have it throughout my pregnancies, and it can cause intense pain, and unstability in your core. I do have days where I need help literally to get up.

That said, I am not on Bed rest as this affects my quality of life, but does not risk the pregnancy. I have two small children to take care of, and can not be out of commission. I do not have a handicapped tag, but do park as close as possible, and walk as little as I can... None of these caveats are to my "advantage"

• imageLCB34:

No and I think it is dumb to use pregnancy as an excuse.

If you are not on bedrest (home or hospital) then you obviously are well enough to function in society and it is lame to act like pregnancy is the reason you are just being a crappy person/ friend.

I completely agree with that! I am just as active as I was before. Maybe for not as long, but I am still doing most things I do before. I am still helping DH mow the lawn (on a rider, of course)! I don't think I have really used being pregnant as an excuse to not have to do things. I still do cleaning around the house, cook, laundry... I just can't carry really heavy things anymore, but that's about it.

image image

• I only use it to my advantage with my mom and DH, lol.  Mom just acts like I am handicapped and I am tired of fighting her so I let her wash my dishes and do my laundry.  DH doesn't go for it, most of the time.  "You're not sick, you're pregnant!" is what he tells me.  Can't blame a girl for trying ;).  I would not go as far as get a handicap placard, though.  Thats a little over kill.

• A handicap sticker, really??  To me that is crossing the line.  When I opened this post I thought you were going to be talking about having DH help you around the house more or something.  I don't think pregnancy is an excuse to be lazy.
  • Handicap? Really?

Like PP said, what if someone pulls up to that store and can't park there because you're using it to your "advantage"? Pathetic.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Negative...that is just plain laziness in my book. 

• This post reminds me of one of my FB friends who posted a picture of her parking in the "expecting mothers" spot at the store when she was in first tri.  The comment on the picture was "Yes sirrr!"  I'm sorry, you don't look pregnant, you just look fat and lazy.  Even with only 19 days to go, I still wouldn't park in the expecting mothers spot just because.  Save it for someone who NEEDS it.
    DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagerochella:

imageVABride2008:
    This post reminds me of one of my FB friends who posted a picture of her parking in the "expecting mothers" spot at the store when she was in first tri.  The comment on the picture was "Yes sirrr!"  I'm sorry, you don't look pregnant, you just look fat and lazy.  Even with only 19 days to go, I still wouldn't park in the expecting mothers spot just because.  Save it for someone who NEEDS it.

Like someone who has Pelvic Girdle Pain?

The OP really kind of set herself up here, but Pelvic Girdle Pain sure seems like a legitimate reason to park in expecting mothers to me.  Maybe not to put yourself on bed rest and call yourself a handicapped person, but at least to park in EM spot.

I'm convinced people read responses rather than the original post half the time. 

I agree that PGP could cause issues that would warrant parking closer.

But, the way this OP was worded leads me to believe that her PGP isn't really that bad - I mean you don't ask if you are being a weirdo (the OPS word of choice) if you have a real medical condition you know?

• imageutchic99:

The only times that I have broken out the pregnancy card are at home with DH (for the heavy lifting, and I didnt cook much during the first trimester because I was always nauseous) and at work... because we work at a technical school and they do painting in the back where I have to give people tours... I told my boss that if they were painting I wanst going back there anymore (not breathing in those fumes).

I think that getting a Handicapped placard is a bit over the top, there are people out there who need that space more than you do.

• Wow, I'm kinda surprised at the hateful remarks from some of you ladies. I'm not saying I use it as an "excuse" so to speak, I mean on the 98 degree days I'm telling friends "No, I can't sit outside at your BBQ" or "help me fold clothes because I can't bend over".

My PGP is quite bad and if it wasn't for the fact that I sit at a desk all day for work I WOULD be on bedrest. I have three small children and work fulltime (as does my husband) so YES sometime I have to do the grocery shopping. When I walk, I feel like my bones are breaking and I just want to cry. This is the only reason I was considering getting a placard. On days that I do have to shop, I can't be incapacitated the rest of the evening just because I had to walk so much that I can't move anymore. I'm fortunate enough to have a DH that will help however he can, but there are times I have to do things that I physically cannot handle.

I can't believe that people can be so insensitive on here.

I guess I'm not quite as "free" to express my situations and feelings as I thought. Guess I won't be posting on here anymore. 

By being judgmental you are only setting up rules that you yourself will have to follow. I'd hate to have someone else experience my issues one day and look back and go "gee, wish I hadn't said that now..." 

• imagerochella:

imageVABride2008:
    This post reminds me of one of my FB friends who posted a picture of her parking in the "expecting mothers" spot at the store when she was in first tri.  The comment on the picture was "Yes sirrr!"  I'm sorry, you don't look pregnant, you just look fat and lazy.  Even with only 19 days to go, I still wouldn't park in the expecting mothers spot just because.  Save it for someone who NEEDS it.

The OP really kind of set herself up here, but Pelvic Girdle Pain sure seems like a legitimate reason to park in expecting mothers to me.  Maybe not to put yourself on bed rest and call yourself a handicapped person, but at least to park in EM spot.

I'm convinced people read responses rather than the original post half the time. 

TY!!! I'm not asking for special treatment, but here we don't have EM parking! We ONLY have handicapped parking! Otherwise, I'm walking a MILE to get to the front door. By that time, I'm over it and ready to go home! 

• imagerochella:

imageVABride2008:

Actually, the OP said "I suffer from PGP so I'm not making many excuses that aren't valid,"  That to me says she is making SOME excuses that aren't warranted.  I'm convinced that you ASSumed I didn't read the original post, which I did.  Thanks for checking though.  If the OP is in that much pain and discomfort, she shouldn't be walking around the mall, shopping center, etc. She should be in a wheel chair if walking a few extra steps into the store is going to kill her.   

DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • This post rubs me the wrong way.  I truly think handicapped spots are for handicapped people.   Sure there are times I tell DH I need to nap or I want to leave because I am tired, etc but handicapped parking is a major no-no in my book.
  • I have had 12 major knee surgeries that pretty much consisted of complete reconstruction on both knees.My next step is knee replacements, but I am too young right now to get them.

I knew when I got pregnant that I would have ALOT of problems walking, and in turn my hips would also suffer.

But ya know what, I suck it up and don't go and get myself a handicapped license plate. If I am having a bad day, and it hurts to walk, I don't go out shopping. I stay home and rest.

You are pregnant. It is not an excuse to go abuse the system.

• imageslwhatley:
    imageutchic99:

Wow, I'm kinda surprised at the hateful remarks from some of you ladies. I'm not saying I use it as an "excuse" so to speak, I mean on the 98 degree days I'm telling friends "No, I can't sit outside at your BBQ" or "help me fold clothes because I can't bend over".

My PGP is quite bad and if it wasn't for the fact that I sit at a desk all day for work I WOULD be on bedrest. I have three small children and work fulltime (as does my husband) so YES sometime I have to do the grocery shopping. When I walk, I feel like my bones are breaking and I just want to cry. This is the only reason I was considering getting a placard. On days that I do have to shop, I can't be incapacitated the rest of the evening just because I had to walk so much that I can't move anymore. I'm fortunate enough to have a DH that will help however he can, but there are times I have to do things that I physically cannot handle.

I guess I'm not quite as "free" to express my situations and feelings as I thought. Guess I won't be posting on here anymore. 

By being judgmental you are only setting up rules that you yourself will have to follow. I'd hate to have someone else experience my issues one day and look back and go "gee, wish I hadn't said that now..." 

If you are capable of walking in a grocery store and pushing a cart around full of groceries, you should be capable of walking 20 extra feet in a parking lot. 

Guess you won't be missed either.

PeaPod delivers your groceries.

Just sayin'

• imageutchic99:

Wow, I'm kinda surprised at the hateful remarks from some of you ladies. I'm not saying I use it as an "excuse" so to speak, I mean on the 98 degree days I'm telling friends "No, I can't sit outside at your BBQ" or "help me fold clothes because I can't bend over".

I knew there would be a sob story. Your title is "Anyone using their pregnancy to their 'advantage'." Now you are singing a different tune because you got flamed. Typical lameness. But but but.....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Seriously??  You're pregnant (and not the first person to be so, I might add), not an invalid.  It's women like you that give pregnant women a bad name.  Handicap spots are there for people who are actually coping with a disability.  Pregnant =/= disabled.  I'm going to assume that your PGP isn't serious, based on the way you stated things in a light-hearted manner.

Get over yourself.

• i never asked for special treatment and i have a broken shoulder to show for it.  it's hard because you try to do everything you did pre-pregnancy and while you're more tired, you still think you can.  i was still doing my 20-min walk each way commute to work with a bag on each shoulder, thinking, well, it's my only form of exercise.  and people would yell at me and say i shouldn't be and i'd ignore them.  when i came out of work and fell down five stairs, my saving grace was that i wasn't on a steeper set of stairs and that i had fast enough reflexes to throw my shoulder into it and shield my stomach, but it could have been really disastrous.  none of the doctors could even believe that i didn't hurt the baby.  i'm in pain now, out of work and income for six weeks longer than i'd planned and have a surgery to look forward to right after i deliver.

if any of us even remotely feel we should take things a little easier than normal, then go with your gut.  even since the shoulder, taking it easy, i went down just to the lobby of my building and slipped on the floor because the floor was wet and landed flat on my butt.  everyone should be a little more careful and not try to be superwoman at this point.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBrezza:
    imageutchic99:

In your OP you freely talk about "taking advantage" of your pregnancy and even asked if you were being a "weirdo". If you have a valid medical issue - that is not taking advantage of your pregnancy. You could have worded your post in a completely different way and gotten totally different responses. You set yourself up sister - don't try to blame anyone else for that. 

I agree, Brezza.  That fact that she needed to come on a message board to have strangers validate her choice to get a placard says to me that she didn't truly believe she was entitled to one either.

• No because people like that give the rest of us pregnant ladies a bad name--and then when we really have an issue it's all "boy who cried wolf."

So... stop it.

imageimage
  • imageMamaNikita:

i never asked for special treatment and i have a broken shoulder to show for it.  it's hard because you try to do everything you did pre-pregnancy and while you're more tired, you still think you can.  i was still doing my 20-min walk each way commute to work with a bag on each shoulder, thinking, well, it's my only form of exercise.  and people would yell at me and say i shouldn't be and i'd ignore them.  when i came out of work and fell down five stairs, my saving grace was that i wasn't on a steeper set of stairs and that i had fast enough reflexes to throw my shoulder into it and shield my stomach, but it could have been really disastrous.  none of the doctors could even believe that i didn't hurt the baby.  i'm in pain now, out of work and income for six weeks longer than i'd planned and have a surgery to look forward to right after i deliver.

if any of us even remotely feel we should take things a little easier than normal, then go with your gut.  even since the shoulder, taking it easy, i went down just to the lobby of my building and slipped on the floor because the floor was wet and landed flat on my butt.  everyone should be a little more careful and not try to be superwoman at this point.

She isn't going above and beyond. She is doing her daily routine and wants a real disabled person's parking spot.

• I guess you're right that I may have set myself up for that, but apparently it was just worded "wrong". The core concern of "weirdo" was, "Am I the only one telling people I can't do things like I used to".

The post was to hear more about how everyone else is coping with being VERY pregnant and what things you're NOT doing now because of it. I'm sorry if someone was offended, but my doctor OFFERED to give me a placard. I turned it down 3 weeks ago but now I'm considering it. Everytime I go shopping there are 15 handicap spaces open so it's not like I'm taking them from someone else.

I'm not trying to combat all the responses..everyone is free to their own opinion, I guess I was just hoping that someone else might be in the same boat as me and I would have someone that could relate. Guess I was wrong. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"