Military Families

care package suggestions?

can anybody suggest some little "extras" that I might throw into the care package I'm making for DH?  he's in Iraq.  so far all I can think of is cookies and magazines and I'm drawing a blank for anything else!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: care package suggestions?

• Do you have a recent U/S picture that he has not seen yet?  That would be cool to send along.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hand and foot warmers, hell want to stock up. Its about to start getting cold there

if he like tuna, those tuna packages with crackers and stuff are good. Maybe some crossword puzzles, a DVD he loves...

• Loading the player...
  • The Gatorade mix (for the individual bottles of water) were a HUGE hit with MH when he was there. Also they all loved trail mix (with m&m's of course), beef jerky, and other little snacks I put in there (cookies, cakes, etc). I also put some of the heat wraps in for the sore muscles (MH has a back issue and over there it was bad - but the Thermacare heat wraps were fantastic!). I did put in some pictures of me and the kiddo & doggie. Plus I put a stuffed animal (small one) drenched in my perfume (the one he loved) in there. I sprayed the heck out of the little thing and put it into a ziplock and squoze all the air out so it was nice and secure. He said he could smell the perfume as soon as he opened the box and had a warm happy thought. hahaha Boys!

BFP 9/8/10... D&C 10/18/10
    RIP Angel Bear We will always love and miss you xoxo

BFP 10/7/2011; EDD 7/15/12 - STICK BABY STICK!!!!

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • thanks you guys!!! these ideas help a ton! :)
  • What I did for my now DH (just bf at the time) for his 1st deployment while we together was send the snacks of course.

But then I filled the box with travel games. Deck of cards, old maid card, travel uno, checkers etc. For him and hes buddies to play. They made fun of it at 1st but soon  loved it. =] 

• you all are forgetting one thing. baby wipes send baby wipes they are always needed. The PX/BX is almost always out of them.
  • my husband was obsessed with me sending him air freshening stuff... i guess his room mate smelled?

honestly id go to target and just throw tons of random stuff in my basket and put it in the care package.... like puzzles, cross words, twizzlers, toiletries etc

oh and he loved lotion (not sure if his skin was dry or he used it for other things.... not sure)

• My HD also wanted the Gatorade Powder for the bottles, Cup Noodles, Beef Jerky, Coffee, always the newest Pictures of the Family, a funny card to make him Smile and cheer him up some stuff to munch on, lolli pops, gum, whatever I thought he would like.

I would just get what you think is good for him, if he does not like it he will tel you and maybe lets you know what he needs.

• I sent Starbucks coffee... I also sent a box of the little individual creamers, beef jerky, candies, nail clippers, comfy boot socks...oh the list goes on and on. but the coffee , creamer and jerky were the top requests during his 27 months there ( between two tours )
  • Books, magazines and things to do in his down time. I made a mixed CD for him of the latest songs I was listening to and ones that reminded of our last summer road trip together. Latest photos of course and even a video of you talking to him and walking around your house/yard. He hasn't seen your bump in a while I guess and I know from my own experience I am moving differently at the moment. Just anything to keep him in touch with you and your world and bring him into it.

My DH also loved those wasabi peas and him and his mates would compete in who could take the biggest handful and eat them at once.

• Something DD and I made for DH was a personalized pillow case. I got the cloth markers and let DD write a "message for daddy" on it. I also traced our hands to look like the pillow was giving him a hug. Afterwards, I sprayed it with my perfume. (You can do something similar by making an iron-on out of an ultrasound picture.)

DH was always asking for Febreze. After a while, he got tired of snacks, so I started sending things like a journal and drawing paper. (He loves drawing and sketching.)

The possibilities are endless. Next time around, I'm sending him some bubble wrap. That's hours of entertainment there! lol

"Momma! She's doing it again!!" Photobucket
  • When my DH is deployed I usually try and theme his package around a holiday that month, birthday, anniversary and then of course throw in the usual essentials that he always needs.
    TTC our first Navy baby! Me:27 DH:30, together since 8/2003, Married on 7/2006
    9/26/10 stopped BCP and started TTC.
    9/2011 referred to RE. All blood work normal and DH's SA=normal results
    11/2011 HSG=both tubes clear
    One natural (monitored) cycle of Clomid, 50mg 2/2012= BFN
    Getting ready for first IUI, 3/2012 received orders to Japan! (postponed IUI)
    5/2012 Moved to Japan, fought Tricare for months over referral (no fertility treatment on our military base) for Japanese RE out in town!
    8/2012 Started seeing new RE
    9/2012, post coital test= hostile cervical fluid, (finally) moving on with first IUI!
    9/29/2012 IUI #1+trigger= BFN
    10/27/2012 IUI #2+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    11/28/2012 IUI #3+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    12/28/2012 IUI#4+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger=BFN
    2/1/2013 IUI#5+injectables+trigger=BFN
    3/2013 IUI#6+injectables+trigger=???
  • hand sanitizer, beef jerky, gum, deck of cards, paperback books that can be swapped. Stay away from anything that can melt (ie. chocolate). He might want extra batteries, socks, or even fresh undies! Perhaps, even an actual hand written letter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"