Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Working moms - what's your morning routine like?

I go back to work in a week and a half. I'm a teacher so my first week back will be without kids so I'll get a 'practice' run on getting DS ready in the morning. My DH leaves for work 4:30 or 5:00 so he won't be able to help unless he has a day off. He will be taking of my 1st two days of work just in case.

Anyway, I'll need to pump before work plus get myself and DS ready. I can't decide if I should shower at night or in the morning - I prefer a.m. but wonder if it will be hectic. I plan to allow 1 1/2 hours to do everything the first week and then make adjustments.

So, what's your routine like and how long does it take for you?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Working moms - what's your morning routine like?

• I shower at night. I get up at 5:50 and feed DS til about 6:15ish, then I get ready, get him ready and we leave at 7:15.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • so I make sure to have the diaper bags packed the night before..except for a few things I have to add right before we leave. I get up at 3:30am jump in the shower and do my thing. Once I am completely ready I open LOs door and turn on the light..let him have a few minutes to wake up and stretch (do his thing) I double check and make sure I have everything packed..then I make his bottle and get him up..dressed and such..feed him and then we are out the door at about 5:30am...traffic for two hours then I start work at 7:30am..get home about 8:00pm...
  • Loading the player...
  • I wake up 2 hours before I need to leave for work. Make coffee, pump, shower, get bottles ready for my son, and get my pumping stuff together. I wash everything the night before and let it air dry. I feed him if he wakes up and try to get him back to sleep until I'm finished getting ready or my husband is up. Typically my husband takes him to daycare but, if I'm doing the drop off, I need to be out the door about 40 mins before I need to be at work. I've tried doing everything in less time and just end up being late. I really don't spend too much time on hair/makeup these days!  I also don't eat until my first pumping session at work - usually about 9:30am.
  • imageKadenKennethsMommy:
    so I make sure to have the diaper bags packed the night before..except for a few things I have to add right before we leave. I get up at 3:30am jump in the shower and do my thing. Once I am completely ready I open LOs door and turn on the light..let him have a few minutes to wake up and stretch (do his thing) I double check and make sure I have everything packed..then I make his bottle and get him up..dressed and such..feed him and then we are out the door at about 5:30am...traffic for two hours then I start work at 7:30am..get home about 8:00pm...

OMG you poor thing! I hope you REALLY love your job. I couldnt handle getting up that early and sitting in that much traffic and then getting home so late!!!

• imageusornothing:
    I posted something similar a few weeks ago. https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/39901561.aspx hth
    sorry for the format I'm on my phone
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagevanessaazimi:

imageKadenKennethsMommy:
    so I make sure to have the diaper bags packed the night before..except for a few things I have to add right before we leave. I get up at 3:30am jump in the shower and do my thing. Once I am completely ready I open LOs door and turn on the light..let him have a few minutes to wake up and stretch (do his thing) I double check and make sure I have everything packed..then I make his bottle and get him up..dressed and such..feed him and then we are out the door at about 5:30am...traffic for two hours then I start work at 7:30am..get home about 8:00pm...

OMG you poor thing! I hope you REALLY love your job. I couldnt handle getting up that early and sitting in that much traffic and then getting home so late!!!

haha I wish! Thats the worst part I HATE MY JOB but my Hubby and I work for the same company and we can commute the long haul together so I am sticking it out for now. But honestly it SUCKS!

• imageKadenKennethsMommy:
    imagevanessaazimi:

imageKadenKennethsMommy:

haha I wish! Thats the worst part I HATE MY JOB but my Hubby and I work for the same company and we can commute the long haul together so I am sticking it out for now. But honestly it SUCKS!

JEEZ! I hope he drives at least so you can nap at least. Hang in there!

• I always shower at night, it grosses me out to get into my nice bed, all dirty and gross from the day. I also prepare my lunch, shove my gym clothes into my purse, and make sure my pump parts are clean or at least throw them in the dishwasher and start it.

I wake up between 6am - 6:30am, and either do my makeup and hair, eat breakfast and get my pump bag, purse and lunch together or I nurse and play with Alexandra. It depends on when she wakes up, but I always divide my time: the biggest chunk belongs to baby, the smaller chunk to me. When I'm done with the baby I hand her over to DH to get dressed. Then I pack up, kiss my two loves goodbye and zoom off.

But I've always gotten ready super quick. Before Alex I could get up at 7:15 and get out of the door at 7:40 to get to work by 8. 

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm a teacher too so I don't actually know yet, but here's the plan:

Wake up at 5:30 and shower/get dressed

6:00 - eat breakfast and pack lunches (I plan to make stuff the night before so I'm just transferring from the fridge to the lunchboxes, I pack lunch for my husband and I as well as milk/purees for my son)

6:30 - Get baby up, changed and nurse. (he tends to have a dreamfeed around this time anyway so I'm hoping this will work and I don't have to pump in the AM).

7:00 - Leave for sitters/work (normally a 30 min commute and the sitter is about 15 minutes extra)

Hopefully be at work no later than 8:00. 

• Forgot to include packing up the pump, that will happen the night before mostly and I'll add the ice packs to the milk cooler in the morning when packing lunches.
  • imageceliabwatson:

I'm a teacher too so I don't actually know yet, but here's the plan:

Wake up at 5:30 and shower/get dressed

6:00 - eat breakfast and pack lunches (I plan to make stuff the night before so I'm just transferring from the fridge to the lunchboxes, I pack lunch for my husband and I as well as milk/purees for my son)

6:30 - Get baby up, changed and nurse. (he tends to have a dreamfeed around this time anyway so I'm hoping this will work and I don't have to pump in the AM).

7:00 - Leave for sitters/work (normally a 30 min commute and the sitter is about 15 minutes extra)

Hopefully be at work no later than 8:00. 

This! LO usually wakes up at 4am to nurse - we stay in bed until 5:30 - when I wake up and LO is asleep. Then I follow this exactly. I agree with the pump/lunch stuff together. I try to let LO sleep as late as possible before getting him up. Getting as much together the night before that I can has been a huge help too.

EDIT - I don't pack DHs lunch and LO isn't doing solids at DC yet.

Little man # 1 - 03/05/2010
    Little man # 2 - 05/02/2013
    Little sister - 07/16/2015
  • Oh man, you guys make me feel like a lazy son of a gun.

I get up sometime between 7 and 8 Embarrassed and get dressed, showered, teeth brushed etc.  The baby doesn't usually wake up until after 8, and at that point I will go get him, or the nanny will go get him.  The nanny feeds him and takes care of him while I have my morning coffee and catch up on the news for a few minutes.  Then I play with him for a little bit, put on my makeup, and leave the house.  I try to be out the door in time to be to work no later than 10am. I work generally from 9-5, sometimes I get in a little later and leave a little later.

Having a live-in nanny is cheaper than day care in many areas, FWIW. 

• Hey there....I have one tip for you, ask your DCP if you can leave a weeks worth of supplies there. That way all you have to do is take bottles. This is a life saver to me.
  • I shower at night after DS goes to bed. I try to pack my bag the night before too though that doesn't always happen. I wake up at 5:00, put on my uniform, make a lunch and then put my bag and lunch in the car. Then I get DS, change his diaper and dress him. Sometimes this will wake him up and then I feed him. Sometimes he goes right back to sleep so I have time to put him in his swing and do makeup or eat a quick breakfast. Then we leave and I end up leaving the house between 5:45-6:00.
  • I agree with leaving things with the DCP if you can. The girl who watches DS has 5 or 6 onesies there that she washes with her stuff and cycles through so he has change of clothes there plus his own toys, bottles that she keeps there ect. Then she just tells me when he is getting low on diapers or food. It makes packing much easier.
  • I am not a morning person so I like to stand in the shower to wake up.  I get up at 5 and get showered and dressed then I eat breakfast.  I wash pump parts and pack the diaper bag the night before so after breakfast I pack the pump parts and wake up DS, nurse, then let him play on his activity mat while I do my makeup.  I let the dogs out and pack my lunch and his bottles, load up the car, bring in the dogs and then we head to the babysitters hopefully backing out of the driveway at 7:15 to be at work by 8.
    ~Mel~ Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I get up at 5:15 (UGH!) and am showered, make-up on and dressed at 6:00.  I come down stairs for 15 minutes, feed the dogs, make a cup of tea and read the paper.  At 6:15, I wake her up and get her dressed.  By 6:25 we're downstairs.  Seh then gets cereal and a bottle which brings us to 6:45.  She goes in her bouncy seat for 15 minutes while I wash her bottle and get another bottle ready for night time.  I take the dogs out then put them in their crates.  Close the blinds in the house, turn the A/C up so it's not running all day, slide my shoes on, put her in her carseat and we're out the door at 7:05.  We stop at Dunkin Donuts to get another cup of tea for myself and a cup of coffee for the babysitter and she's dropped off at the babysitter's at 7:30.  I pull in my work parking lot between 8:00 - 8:05. 
  • I do as much as I can the night before: get bottles ready, get my lunch ready, lay out my clothes, DD's clothes, get pump parts in bag and bag ready.

If DD cooperates (and doesn't wake up at 4:00 am), then I get up at 6:00, do my makeup and hair, put on bottoms (top waits til after nursing), double check that everything is ready to go.  If DD's not awake yet, I gradually wake her up (she's a grump if she suddenly has to be awake), change her diaper, then we nurse for a while, hopefully get a bit of playtime in, then I change her diaper again, and get her dressed.  Throw on my top, put DD next to DH in bed so he can cuddle her while I put everything in the car.  We're in the car at 7:15, I'm dropping DD off at daycare at 7:30, spend a little time with her there, then I'm off to work at 7:45 and get there by 8:00.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejilicious:

I always shower at night, it grosses me out to get into my nice bed, all dirty and gross from the day. I also prepare my lunch, shove my gym clothes into my purse, and make sure my pump parts are clean or at least throw them in the dishwasher and start it.

I wake up between 6am - 6:30am, and either do my makeup and hair, eat breakfast and get my pump bag, purse and lunch together or I nurse and play with Alexandra. It depends on when she wakes up, but I always divide my time: the biggest chunk belongs to baby, the smaller chunk to me. When I'm done with the baby I hand her over to DH to get dressed. Then I pack up, kiss my two loves goodbye and zoom off.

But I've always gotten ready super quick. Before Alex I could get up at 7:15 and get out of the door at 7:40 to get to work by 8. 

Mine is VERY similar to this

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have to be out of the house at about 6:30 to be at work at 7.  so I usually get up at 5:30, (he usually feeds around 3:30-4ish so he is out at that time)leave LO sleeping while I go shower and do everything I have to do that doesnt directly include him....feed the cats, get his diaper bag ready, pack the car, etc....then I get him up, change him, etc.  I take him with me to work so I breastfeed him there but if this is not the case for you put time in there to feed him....I usually bathe him the night before on the days I work early morning.

I work at a Curves 3 days a week. 2 of my shifts are at 7am and the third starts at 3:30.

• Before I went back to work, I tweaked LO's bedtime so that she would be waking at the right time to eat/get ready in the mornings.

I wake at 6, shower, get dressed, eat breakfast. DD wakes between 6:30-7 and I change and feed her and get her dressed. Then she plays on her playmat while I pump, I grab her bottles, and we leave the house usually at 7:35am. You can shower in the am if you can get your LO waking after you are out of the shower.

In the evenings I put milk in her bottles so they are ready to go and wash all the bottles and pump parts from the day. I have two sets of pump parts so I can just leave the set I use to pump in the morning to be washed in the evening with everything else. GL!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"