Breastfeeding

Parts for borrowed pumps

I ran into an old friend today who said that I can have her pump!  Awesome!!!!  It's a Medela one.. not sure yet of the model but where would I go to get the parts that I need to replace that she has already used?

Thanks!!!

Re: Parts for borrowed pumps

• you can get the shields at Target and the tubing online. we got our tubing new from ebay.
  • You can order complete kits online. I'm sure Ebay has some and I know Amazon does.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know if it's common but at the hospital where I delivered they give me the parts that I needed.  They use Medela pumps on the L&D floor.  Might be worth a phone call before you go through the effort!
  •  

I was told by a friend that you can call Medela and they will send you new tubing at no charge.  Not sure about the shields though.

• You can get shields, attachments and valves at most baby stores (in our area they have them at Buy Buy Baby & Target), and tubing online.

I was confused about which parts I needed so I bought the whole kit online but it cost $50 which I think I overpaid...now that I know what I need I realized I could have picked up the parts locally.

I bought mine off Craigslist so I didn't have help finding what parts I needed, but your friend can probably show you her attachments so you know exactly what you need. 

Jude Wayne - Born 4/23/10 Violet Patricia - Born 12/5/12 Breastfeeding, baby-wearing work-at-home mom of 2 living in Rockville, MD
  • I've seen the accessories kits at Target but I would just buy a new pump.  If it's not a hospital grade pump, Medela Symphony or Lactina, the milk can get into the motor contaminating the system.  Even if she says she's perfectly healthy there are plenty of people out there who have diseases they don't know about.  I personally don't think it's worth risking you or your baby's health to save a little money.

https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/HomeHealthandConsumer/ConsumerProducts/BreastPumps/ucm061939.htm#4

There is also the problem of wear and tear on the pump.  The poor amount of suction could affect your supply and/or your nips.  The warranty is also voided if used by more than one person.  If it breaks down you're going to have to buy a new one anyway.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• imagekatcarls:

I've seen the accessories kits at Target but I would just buy a new pump.  If it's not a hospital grade pump, Medela Symphony or Lactina, the milk can get into the motor contaminating the system.  Even if she says she's perfectly healthy there are plenty of people out there who have diseases they don't know about.  I personally don't think it's worth risking you or your baby's health to save a little money.

https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/HomeHealthandConsumer/ConsumerProducts/BreastPumps/ucm061939.htm#4

There is also the problem of wear and tear on the pump.  The poor amount of suction could affect your supply and/or your nips.  The warranty is also voided if used by more than one person.  If it breaks down you're going to have to buy a new one anyway.

THIS!!!!!!!!! Please, please protect your baby. No amount of money saved is worth risking exposing your LO to diseases like HIV/Hepatitis or even something as common as Thrush. Skip buying the parts and spend the $ on a manual if you can't afford an electric.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagenorman25:
    imagekatcarls:

I've seen the accessories kits at Target but I would just buy a new pump.  If it's not a hospital grade pump, Medela Symphony or Lactina, the milk can get into the motor contaminating the system.  Even if she says she's perfectly healthy there are plenty of people out there who have diseases they don't know about.  I personally don't think it's worth risking you or your baby's health to save a little money.

THIS!!!!!!!!! Please, please protect your baby. No amount of money saved is worth risking exposing your LO to diseases like HIV/Hepatitis or even something as common as Thrush. Skip buying the parts and spend the $ on a manual if you can't afford an electric.

I third this!  It's not worth the risk to your baby. Buy a new one or rent a hospital grade one.

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • To the last 3 posts... WOW I never knew any of this!!!  I will def check more into it!  Thank you very VERY much!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"