2nd Trimester

oh a lot of women smoke during pregnancy, my bad.

So I'm walking back into work today after my lunch break (I work at the welfare agency) and I see two women walking out of the building. woman 1 asks woman 2 for a cigarette and woman 2 gives her one. woman 1 proceeds to go on about how she has been there all day and ran out of cigs and she usually doesn't grub cigarettes but she sees people grubbing cigs out there all the time. she then says "this girl asked me for one earlier" and points to me (and my giant belly). she then looks at me and says "didn't you ask me for a cigarette earlier?" i said "no, I'm pregnant, I don't smoke" and kept walking into the door. woman 2 says "lots of women actually smoke during pregnancy" and woman 1 says "I smoked through all of my pregnancies"... i turned back and looked out the door at them and she was giving me a dirty look. 

ummmmm really???? A LOT of women smoke? really? and i'm a jerk because i assumed you would realize i did not ask you for a smoke because i'm pregnant. and i'm the jerk because you smoked during you're pregnancy and i don't???? wow. you are awesome.  

Re: oh a lot of women smoke during pregnancy, my bad.

• I saw that at a gas station recently...gross.  You're awesome for not smoking.  They are idiots.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There are so many things I'd like to judge here... Must... keep... mouth... shut...
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, I feel ya, have to admit, I would want to slap that woman, it annoys the crap out of me when people even smoke around me right now, that would really push my very limited patience these days!
  • I agree. Alot of women smoke during pregnancy. Alot of people I know have done it. I however could never do it myself knowing there are alot of risk factors. I personally feel like it is selfish.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • the way she said it "i smoked during all of my pregnancies" was very self-righteous like she was right and i was wrong. 

i know someone who smoked during her pregnancy a little bit - i dont agree with it at all... but not my business (i was not close with her so it wasnt someone i would tell that i felt she should quit). but to say that A LOT of women smoke during pregnancy is a bold statement - i would assume that its the minority - not the majority. 

• imageIs it June yet?:
    There are so many things I'd like to judge here... Must... keep... mouth... shut...

• you would be surprised. Alot of women really do.
  • imageuluvfranke:
    you would be surprised. Alot of women really do.

i just dont get it - i mean... KNOWING all of the chemicals in cigarettes and the harm it could do. 

and i do know how hard it is to quit - i smoked for 10 years and 8/15 will be two years since i quit. i must have tried 100 times before i finally was able to quit and it was one of the hardest things i ever did in my life. and i wasnt pregnant. if i was - i would have had something to quit for besides myself.... 

• imageIs it June yet?:
    There are so many things I'd like to judge here... Must... keep... mouth... shut...

Right there with ya sister!!  Personally, I don't think I would have been able to stay cool.  Yeah, a lot of women smoke during pregnancy, but a lot of people are also ****ing stupid.

One of my friends is actively TTC but refuses to quit smoking until she's successful.   Even that's unacceptable in my book.

• imagepiglet6609:
    ... and i do know how hard it is to quit - i smoked for 10 years and 8/15 will be two years since i quit. i must have tried 100 times before i finally was able to quit and it was one of the hardest things i ever did in my life. and i wasnt pregnant. if i was - i would have had something to quit for besides myself.... 

Exactly.  I smoked for 8 years (quit in 2002) also.  Just wanted to state that for the record since I got all soapboxy.

• I totally agree with all of the above. When I quit smoking I also had been smoking for ten years. I started again for about two weeks due to what I thought was stress or depression, ended up being I was pregnant. I felt so guilty I cried at my doctor visit thinking I had already caused trouble. The moment I peed on the stick (which I wasnt even gonna due because I am not suppsed to be able to get pregnant) I quit.
  • imageuluvfranke:
    you would be surprised. Alot of women really do.

true. i chose not to for my health and the health of my unborn child.

i was actually told by someone that quitting smoking during the first trimester can actually cause a miscarraige. i personally dont know if this is true but i dont care. i chose to stop both pregnancies(i am hoping to stay quit this time) and my 4 year old is perfectly healthy and this baby is healthy thus far.

i guess to each her own, but i say no.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Alot of women do indeed. I've had friends that have smoked and/or drank throughout their pregnancies and had seemingly perfectly healthy babies (not saying problems won't develop later). . My co-worker drank a few beers a week and smoked a pack of ciggerettes a day, had a 12lb baby boy and always uses his size and the fact that he's ahead in milestones to justify these things. It's just sad.
  • people make me wanna pull my hair out.
  • I was really shocked of all the girls I know that smoke while they were pg.  It makes me soooo mad b/c I think its soo irresponsible of women to do that..  1 lady didn't understand why her baby was sooo little granted the baby was a month early but she smoked off & on during her whole pregnancy & also didn't take any prenatals except during the 1st tri when her doc gave her samples.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This makes me so angry... I used to work at a restaurant and I think weekly you would see obviously pregnant women coming in the bar to smoke (back before the smoking ban).  I would get really upset over it then and I was not even a mom yet.

For some anecdotal evidence of the dangers of smoking while pregnant, my mom smoked with my sister and I- we were both under 5.5 pounds.  She did not smoke with my brother- he was over 8 pounds when he was born.  The low birthweight thing is not a joke.

• When I found out I was pregnant, I was 6 weeks, it took me about a week  to quit smoking. My doc actually told me to cut down and stop within 1-2 weeks so to not stress out. I dropped coffee at the same time because my morning coffee was a trigger for smoking.

A very close friend of mine is 22 weeks and is still smoking. Stating she smoked for all 3 of her other pregnancies and her kids are fine. It really bothers me, but I don't want to tell her what to do! and I don't want to lecture or guilt trip her either .

I've been having suuuper crazy dreams involving smoking, and even crave it like crazy these days but I just keep thinking about keeping my baby healthy and that gets me through the day!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would have to agree with a lot of the pp and say a lot of women do smoke during ther pregnancy, even after knowing the risks. My SIL continued to smoke, and a few coworkers also continued as well. Most of them were able to cut down the amount of cigarettes and SIL switched to light but to me it seems so rediculous.

On another note, something that is even MORE rediculous. One of my clients OB's told her she should NOT quit smoking marijuana because it would cause her to smoke more cigarettes Confused needless to say that idiot is not my OB. How about neither are good for an unborn child.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Smoking in Europe is nearly a bodily function and I see a TON of pregnant women smoking here.

Women with healthy babies who choose to partake in things such as smoking, drugs, and/or alcohol consumption need to realize that they're the exception and not the rule!

There is much medical research and evidence that shows the effects. And to you smokers who did you quit during pregnancy....YOU GO! I'm sure it has to be incredibly difficult and I'm proud of you for making that selfless decision for your child. Step 1 to being an awesome mommy! :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm another former smoker that is completely disgusted with people who continue to smoke during pregnancy. Granted, I have had more smoking dreams since I got pregnant than I've ever had in the two years since I quit. But there's no way I would go back to it, especially not now. 

• imageashleynicoles:

Women with healthy babies who choose to partake in things such as smoking, drugs, and/or alcohol consumption need to realize that they're the exception and not the rule!

There is much medical research and evidence that shows the effects. And to you smokers who did you quit during pregnancy....YOU GO! I'm sure it has to be incredibly difficult and I'm proud of you for making that selfless decision for your child. Step 1 to being an awesome mommy! :)

• imagelesleslie:

On another note, something that is even MORE ridiculous. One of my clients OB's told her she should NOT quit smoking marijuana because it would cause her to smoke more cigarettes Confused needless to say that idiot is not my OB. How about neither are good for an unborn child.

Wowzers!  A woman who used to be my bff and was my maid of honor told me on the last time she was here for dinner that if she got pg she wouldn't stop smoking marijuana.  I told her that there was plenty of research and I'd be happy to get it for her but she just replied, "Different strokes for different folks."  That was the last time we hung out and stopped speaking shortly after.  We didn't go to her wedding as it was the last straw in dealing with her stupidity!  That was this last January.  Oh and did I mention she's due about a week after me?  I really hope she stopped but my guess is she didn't.

Any smoke is a moronic choice while pg.  I have no idea how hard it would be to quit as I have never smoked anything, and I have also heard that you shouldn't go cold turkey but go gradual when weaning off when pg, but I would hope all would stop.

• I have crazy smoking dreams, and I never smoked a day in my life. Granted, I grew up in a house with two smokers(my mother included).  I just found out that my father has lung cancer. He has tried to quit many times in the last 38 years, but this was the last straw. He said the sight and smell of cigarettes make him ill.Much like my mother says "I can't change what happened yesterday, but I can change what I do the rest of today and tomorrow."  I wish more people would take that attitude when it comes to unhealthy addictions.

Oh, and for the record, I was a preemie(born with pneumonia), and never suffered any other ill effects from their smoking(so far). Not one of us has suffered from any respiratory illness at all.  That does not mean smoking does not harm the baby at all.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • *headdesk*

imageimage

imageimage

image  image

• I agree with you! i was a smoker before i got pregnant with both of mine and once i found out i was pregnant i stopped. Its not fare to the child
  • imageBluEyedGrrl:

imageIs it June yet?:

Right there with ya sister!!  Personally, I don't think I would have been able to stay cool.  Yeah, a lot of women smoke during pregnancy, but a lot of people are also ****ing stupid.

One of my friends is actively TTC but refuses to quit smoking until she's successful.   Even that's unacceptable in my book.

I tried to quit several times in the year we TTC.  It was stressful to get a negative every month for 12 month while in the mean time 22 friends and family members got pregnant or had their babies.  Trust me, I really tried, but quitting is hard (which you absolutely cannot understand if you have not been a smoker) and the added stress of having trouble conceiving was too much.  I quit the first 3 months we TTC and couldn't handle the stress.  I have not had a single puff since I found out on March 9th I was pregnant. I will not ever smoke again.  Too expensive and I will not put LO at risk for health issues or losing a parent at a young age.

I smoked for 12 years a pack a day and chose to harm myself, but LO has no choice in the matter if I smoke.  I wouldn't make the choice to harm my baby, but I will choose if I want to harm myself.  I think it is ridiculous to say this is unacceptable.  Smoking and drinking both harm your self, but how many people got drunk before they knew they were pregnant?  The first 2 weeks after you conceive, the embryo is not implanted and therefore is not receiving harmful substances from you. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Kindly remind your friend that smoking makes it harder to get pregnant. ;-)
  • My pregnancy was a *surprise* and I was a heavy smoker prior.  But my first trimester I was soo sick that even before I realized I was preggers the smell, taste and thought of a cig would make me want to vomit and I just stopped on my own.  It was like my body's own intuition.  My baby knows best! :)

• Isn't it amazing how people like to force their own perspectives on you and feel they have that right. I work as a Paramedic/Firefighter. I had another pregnant co worker, who was there to visit because she was on leave tell me that she couldn't believe that I would risk my unborn baby's life by continuing to work! She was smoking a cigarette at the time!!! I had to laugh...my doctor had said that due to my excellent physical condition that I was capable of working until it got awkward for me to lift. I am certain that there aren't any OB's out there that gave her the ok to smoke while pregnant!!!
  • imagepiglet6609:

imageIs it June yet?:

Fine, I will say it... Just because I am in a cranky mood and don't really care if I get the flame throwers from hell coming down on me today!

You work in a welfare office, these woman were there to collect benefits or assistance I am guessing  from the complaint of being there all day and the same woman are out side huffing and puffing on cigarettes.... And basically bragging about smoking during all of her pregnancies! 

Um if they can afford to be smoking all damn day then maybe they should not be getting as much assistance!!! And the statement all pregnancies implies two or more kids, How about mandatory birth control, drug and alcohol tests!!! Welfare should be used as a band-aid to help you get by not a subsidy to allow you to sit on your ass and continue to not want to do for your self and the babies you continue to have on the system, it is not there to feed your children so what little money you bring in can go towards smoking!!! Peoples priorities are so messed up! If you can't afford to look after the children you are having then STOP making babies! 

• My DH worked with a woman who was pregnant and took smoke breaks. He asked her about it one day because he though (as I did) that it was a huge no-no. Her response was "all it does is cause low birth weight". Wow.
  • Smoking while pregnant says a lot about the type of person you are and the type of mother you will be.  It's so incredibly selfish and disgusting.  If I see a pregnant woman smoking I give her a dirty look and say out loud "that's so disgusting", in hopes that she hears me and feels terrible about herself.  Abuse yourself if you'd like to, but don't abuse the unborn baby inside of you who doesn't have a choice.
  • Believe it or not, they do. I work in a large call center and I see it all the time. Is disgusting and selfish.
    Nicole, Mommy to baby Jordan Santiago born 3-31-06 and Isabella Grace born 1/28/2011 image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • She is right.  1 in 10 women smoke during pregnancy.
  • Hmmm. Has she ever considered that her baby was 12 pounds because of all the CARBS she was ingesting with her beer? Talk about not taking care of your body while you're creating this new little life. There is no way she can justify her behavior when educated medical experts emphasize over and over again not to do exactly those things.
  • before i knew i was pregnant i was beginning to smoke less because the cigarettes were making me sick. i'd get headaches and nausea just from being around the smoke. the only reason i continued to smoke was out of habit and to appease the craving. as soon as i found out i was pregnant i quit cold turkey. i couldnt imagine introducing my child to all those chemicals, especially when he/she is trying to develop and grow his/her brain, organs, and other major structures of the body.
  • It really bothers me when people can't quit, at the very least, for the 9 months they are pregnant.  I smoked for 9 years, I smoked a cigarette, took my pregnancy test and when it said positive I knew that was my last cigarette.  I quit, it was just that easy.... even after 9 years of smoking a pack a day, my baby is my number one priority and babys health comes before my cravings!

The other day DH and I were on our evening walk and I saw a pregnant woman standing outside with her toddler, smoking.  All I can think when I see that is, I bet the baby wants that cigarette too.

• I quit smoking the second I found out I was pregnant, and I probably won't ever smoke again. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I just think it's trashy to smoke while you're pregnant. If you can't hold off for 9 measly months for the sake of your child, that's pretty bad.

• From the moment I got a positive pregnancy test, I did not even consider continuing to smoke. I doubt I could have with the morning sickness if I wanted to, but, I digress... Also, no one's saying it, but I'll say it. I am a veeeery liberal person, and I think that welfare needs to exist, HOWEVER, I do not think that you should be buying cigarettes when receiving welfare.
  • I smoked before I became pregnant, I was actualy so addicted that if I did not have one I would cry. When I found out I was pregnant I locked my self in my home for three days and delt with the withdrawls. I believe that no matter how bad you are addicted to something it is no excuse to bring it on your unborn child. It was hard for me to stop but you have to put the selfishness aside and think about your child.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"