Babies: 3 - 6 Months

What does a typical day look like for your 3-month-old

This is what mine looks like so far today:

6:30 awake and feed, change a little playing

7:45 NAP (I have to start the process around 7:15)

8:45 awake maybe feed a little more, try to get some play

9:30 baby is sleepy, try to put down for a nap, but takes awhile, another feeding before he goes down (he's a snacker)

10:30 NAP, but a very light one

11 change, play, feed

12 NAP

1 feed, change, play

2:30 NAP

He'll go until about 8 or 9 like this and that's when he decides to do his long sleep instead of a nap. Usually at that time, he'll just wake up from his previous nap eat and fall asleep while doing it (so there's no chance for a real bedtime here since he naps all the way up until bedtime).

Is it weird that my LO can't be awake for longer than an hour without being sleepy? For the 2:30 nap he was sleepy before that and I started the process, but he wasn't having it. Putting my LO down for naps so frequently is exhausting! I try so hard to get him down before he's overtired and crying, but it happens so quickly. I think he'd be in a better mood if he napped longer and less frequently (if you haven't seen my posts before, he's super fussy and it's usually because he's overtired).

Plus, he's a snacker, even when he's taking a bottle. It's not like I can force feed him to eat more than 2oz at a time. He'll take a 4oz bottle over the period of an hour with some playing and diaper changing in between. He's like that breastfeeding too.

My big boy image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: What does a typical day look like for your 3-month-old

• that sounds exactly like kylie's day! except we start bedtime routine around 830. putting her to bed about 10 and she sleeps til either 6 or 7. i was worried about it too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageertopp:
    that sounds exactly like kylie's day! except we start bedtime routine around 830. putting her to bed about 10 and she sleeps til either 6 or 7. i was worried about it too!

Wow, glad I'm not the only one! Does your LO get overtired really easily too?

Mine just woke up after 45 minutes of napping, so I went up and put his paci in and shushed him (he's still awake, though, staring at his mobile) I think he needs longer napping because he wakes up crying. Shouldn't he wake up happy? 

• Loading the player...
  • My DS only has about an hour of awake time before he gets fussy as well. His naps range from 45 minutes to 3 hours, so we don't really have a set schedule for our day. I do try to start the day at 7 and we start bathtime at 6:30, but in between is anyone's guess.
  • We don't have a schedule either. It's just so much work putting him down! Plus, if I go out anywhere he gets super cranky because he hasn't napped well, so I'm trying to stay home and get him on track. I've been writing down his schedule today and will continue to do so to see if there's anything we can do better the next time I go to the pedi.
  • I know how you feel - we had a tough nap-fighting day, which truthfully is a little uncharacteristic of my DD.  Let me first say I am by NO means a proponent of CIO, but on days like today (when I know my daughter is tired and won't sleep), I put her down and let her fuss UNTIL she starts crying.  I find that it kind of wears her our a bit.  I then go in and pick her up and rock her up against my chest, lay her back down, she'll fuss a little and then go to sleep (most of the time).  I have read your posts, and know that your little guy is a bit of a fuss-bucket, so to recommend Happiest Baby on the Block seems kind of silly because you've probably already tried it.  If you haven't, then I'd give it a try, because the 5 S's did wonders for us during weeks 4 - 8 when she was giving me fits.  Oh, and mine is a snacker too, but I've tried to distract her for a while when she acts like that if it's been less than 1.5hrs. instead of just giving her the boob.  It has seemed to help make her stretches consistently 1.5hrs. plus.  Our schedule goes a little like this:

6:00am - Up, eat, change, play a little

7:30am - Nap until 9:00.

9:00 - 10:30 - Up, eat, change, play

10:30 - 11:30 - We go for a walk and she'll doze off for maybe 20 minutes

11:30 - 1:30 - Up, eat, change, play A LOT - I really try to tucker her out during this time as she's the most awake.

1:30 - 2:00 - Cat nap.

2:00 - 3:30 - Up, eat, try to play but she's pretty cranky.

3:30 - 5:00/5:30 - Afternoon nap.  This stretch is awesome for me to get things done.

6:30 - Eat, bathtime, get ready for bed.

7:30 - Falls asleep for the night (until 3am feeding).

Now, obviously this isn't exactly how it always goes, and the last week she was going through her 3 month growth spurt and started teething so everything was out of whack, but this is a pretty typical day.  Hopefully this helped some what.  Good luck!!!

• Well, at least I know this kind of schedule isn't unusual. Everything I'm reading about sleep says that babies this age take about 3 naps a day and DS takes so many more than that! It wouldn't be so bad if he fell asleep easily, but he doesn't

The 5 S's helped a ton when he was younger and fussy for no reason. Now most of the time he's fussy it's because he's overtired. Last week he was fussy for no reason again, though, and DH was not able to calm him with the S's. It seems all he wanted was mommy, but I had a really hard time too. Swaddling still helps, though. 

• No real schedule here as well, and 45 min naps every 1.5h.

And I also got a little one that fights sleep!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"