2nd Trimester

bare bumps offensive?

Ive heard some people say that bare bumps are offensive. What exactly is offensive about it? I think its a beautiful thing. anyone offended by it? and why?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: bare bumps offensive?

• NSLNSL member
    Not offensive (except likely to those with conservative taste in clothing) but tacky, IMO.  I don't go around showing people my bare stomach when not pregnant, and I'm certainly not going to post pictures all over the Internet of my belly just because I'm showing.  Same rationale for hanging said pictures in my home or having them taken in the first place. 
  • Nope, not to me. But I will be painting my bump like a pumpkin this year, so we'll see how my neighbors see bare bumps...
    CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't find them offensive, but I don't want mine to be bare!  Its more of a preference.  I say, to each their own.  If you want to go bare - do it.
  • imageNSL:
    Not offensive (except likely to those with conservative taste in clothing) but tacky, IMO.  I don't go around showing people my bare stomach when not pregnant, and I'm certainly not going to post pictures all over the Internet of my belly just because I'm showing.  Same rationale for hanging said pictures in my home or having them taken in the first place. 

i agree about hanging maternity pic on the wall thats just weird

i think bare bumps are way cute

but what im getting at is why would it be offensive? maybe people are modest or whatever but do they freak out and get offended at people in bathing suits?  

• imageNSL:

This exactly.

• imageNSL:

This.

No need to show it off bare, everyone knows it's what's under my shirt...

Modesty is sexy...

• imagelauren_mpenny:

imageNSL:

This.

Modesty is sexy...

oh yeah to each their own I would feel comfortable doing it but some people dont and thats fine.....but some people just think if someone does it its gross ( for example the lady on 3rd tri) 

• imageNSL:

I see what you're saying, but it works in reverse too.

I wear a bikini swimming when I'm not pregnant, so why should I wear a 1 piece now that I'm pregnant ??
    I know this isn't what you're saying specifically, but I just don't see why some people see bare bellies as taboo...

Lord knows I wouldn't show mine off anymore if I had stretchmarks that looked like a Canadian roadmap though!! lol
  • imagePreggoMissy:
    imageNSL:

I see what you're saying, but it works in reverse too.

I wear a bikini swimming when I'm not pregnant, so why should I wear a 1 piece now that I'm pregnant ??
    I know this isn't what you're saying specifically, but I just don't see why some people see bare bellies as taboo...

Lord knows I wouldn't show mine off anymore if I had stretchmarks that looked like a Canadian roadmap though!! lol

that is exactly how I feel about it 

• imageBabyyMamma:
    imagelauren_mpenny:

imageNSL:

This.

Modesty is sexy...

oh yeah to each their own I would feel comfortable doing it but some people dont and thats fine.....but some people just think if someone does it its gross ( for example the lady on 3rd tri

I saw that. I feel bad for that girl. She went against the grain & posted a bare bump pic & was teased about it.
    Nothing wrong with a bare bump & good for her ! However!! While showing a bare bump it should be kept in mind that it may not be received how you think it might, no matter where you want to show it off.
  • I never had a problem with bare bumps until I saw a pregnant teenage girl at the mall, wearing cut off shorts and a teeny tube top ... had to be 3rd tri.

There's a time and place for everything.  I wouldn't have found anything wrong with that at the beach.

• imageBluEyedGrrl:

I never had a problem with bare bumps until I saw a pregnant teenage girl at the mall, wearing cut off shorts and a teeny tube top ... had to be 3rd tri.

There's a time and place for everything.  I wouldn't have found anything wrong with that at the beach.

teenage girls in tube tops always bother me haha I always think...."my mom would have killed me!" who lets their little girl walk out of the house like that i see 12 year olds walking around with what looks like t-shirts and no pants!  

• I don't think they're offensive, but it's not something I would show off personally. I don't bare my tummy when not pregnant (totally a tankini girl!) and don't plan to start now that it's getting bigger! That said, people who feel comfortable showing theirs off don't bother me at all.   
    BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageBluEyedGrrl:

I never had a problem with bare bumps until I saw a pregnant teenage girl at the mall, wearing cut off shorts and a teeny tube top ... had to be 3rd tri.

Indifferent that's not okay
  • I agree that they're a beautiful thing and that I wear a bikini when I'm not pregnant so why should I be ashamed that I am? I will be all up in my student rec center swimming pool in my bikini come fall semester.

But I will admit... some girls look really cute with their baby bumps... some girls are just plain gross. But normally those are gross to me because the mom was gross to me pre-pregnancy.

I hope that makes sense? haha

imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    College Mom
  • Offensive? no, but some are cuter than others.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • different strokes for different folks!  I think bumps are super cute.  I am 17 weeks & I have a bump now & I wear a bikini.  I think that wearing a bikini is one thing but when you wear a tube top or some shirt that you can see the belly when your at the mall is totally different.  I will probably take some maternity pics with my bare belly (since my mother-in-law is a photographer & loves those pics).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It doesn't bother me. I'd much rather see a pregnant woman's taut cute belly than some of the bare muffin tops the teens sport these days.
  • Pregnant or not, it's nms. If you're going bare belly, you should do it when your belly is cute. After 35 weeks, I don't think many people's bellies are cute. No matter what you looked like pre-pregnancy (obviously, there are excpetions).

IMO, you should just cover it up! I love that maternity clothes are wandering away from the empire waist and tent like fit. They are a bit tighter and actually show the form of a pregnant woman's belly. That's a much more modest way to show off the belly!

• I don't find them offensive, but do consider them tacky - NMS at all.  One of my biggest pet peeves is PG women stuffing themselves in their normal swimsuits/bikinis - I don't care how much weight you have/have not gained, your body changes and they look ridiculous.
  • I don't think they're offensive or tacky, given the proper time and place.  At the beach or pool?  No problem.  Out in public?  Not so much.  And I have no problem with pictures being taken or displayed in one's home, or even posted online on a blog or other personal space.  As long as common sense is used (which, sadly, we know is lacking all too often...)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't think they're offensive, but sometimes baring them in a certain way is tacky. More, that the outfit is tacky. I was at the hospital yesterday. There was a girl there (she may have been in her early 20s, but to me that's still a girl) with a good portion of her belly showing. She was wearing maybe a size 3 or 5 just butt-cheek-covering jean shorts obviously from pre-preg, and a shirt that was no doubt NOT a maternity shirt, since it wouldn't have reached the top of "normal" pants. I'd say there was easily 4 inches of bare skin showing between the bottom of her shirt an the top of her non-existant shorts. Definitely tacky. All I kept thinking was "and her mom let her out of the house wearing something like that?!"

But maybe that's just my mom mentality kicking in since I have kids of my own.

• I don't think it's offensive- I just don't see the point in it. And you really can't compare it to wearing a bathing suit- because at least when you wear a bathing suit you're generally wearing it in context. (IE Swimming, sunbathing, etc). 

We're a bunch of strangers- why do we care what anyone's bare stomach looks like? It looks the same with a fitted shirt over it if you just want to AW your bump. I guess it just fits into the tacky category for me. 

AND, the girl on 3rd tri wasn't made fun of strictly for the bare belly. It was a hyper-cheesy picture. I'm sorry, but maternity pics like that make me point and laugh. If you post pictures of yourself on here, people are going to make comments and they might be comments you don't like. If you only want to hear good things about your pics- stick to showing them to your friends and family. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageNSL:

This.

photo 6aecdc21-d010-4990-8b8b-da468f75ece3_zps38a4dec0.jpgphoto 8c7926e4-3191-4d9f-8e13-2ba2d4b7296f_zps45188ab0.jpg
              Connor - 12/15/10                                     Abby - EDD 11/29/13
    Lilypie - (bLG7)
  • I'm with everyone who thinks bare bumps are appropriate 1. at the beach (if you could wear a bikini pre-pg), or 2. on The Bump.  Some women like comparing bellies, even bare ones.  If you can't feel comfortable showing your bare pregnant belly on a pregnancy message board, where else can you? 

I personally will not show anyone my bare belly unless it's flat, but for those of you with cute bumps, more power to you!

And yes, I agree with PP.  In the case of maternity shots, the bare bellies are not the issue really--it's more the cheese factor of some of them.

IAmPregnant Ticker imageimage
  • I honestly see nothing wrong with it. But to each their own.
  • imageJulietL129:

I don't think it's offensive- I just don't see the point in it. And you really can't compare it to wearing a bathing suit- because at least when you wear a bathing suit you're generally wearing it in context. (IE Swimming, sunbathing, etc). 

We're a bunch of strangers- why do we care what anyone's bare stomach looks like? It looks the same with a fitted shirt over it if you just want to AW your bump. I guess it just fits into the tacky category for me. 

Isn't that the point of TB ? That we are all strangers and can post and say things on here that we might not be able to show or say to other people?
    Okay No, some people on here might not CARE about seeing anyones bare belly, or might not care that someone has heartburn, cramps, an upcoming U/S, if your hormonal, or are getting stretchmarks...
    But I'd like to think that strangers or not, the INTEREST&concern in how each other is doing is present, and it's nice having a place to go to relate to others with minimal fear of judgment.
    Even if someone posts something that they KNOW no one else here will care about, TB is a nice outlet for people just to vent sometimes too.
    Just sayin' . Smile
  • imagePreggoMissy:
    imageJulietL129:

I don't think it's offensive- I just don't see the point in it. And you really can't compare it to wearing a bathing suit- because at least when you wear a bathing suit you're generally wearing it in context. (IE Swimming, sunbathing, etc). 

Isn't that the point of TB ? That we are all strangers and can post and say things on here that we might not be able to show or say to other people?
    Okay No, some people on here might not CARE about seeing anyones bare belly, or might not care that someone has heartburn, cramps, an upcoming U/S, if your hormonal, or are getting stretchmarks...
    But I'd like to think that strangers or not, the INTEREST&concern in how each other is doing is present, and it's nice having a place to go to relate to others with minimal fear of judgment.
    Even if someone posts something that they KNOW no one else here will care about, TB is a nice outlet for people just to vent sometimes too.
    Just sayin' . Smile

No, that's not the point. This is still a public forum filled with all different people with all different opinions. I don't have any obligation to anyone who posts a super-corny maternity picture to make them feel good about themselves- that's what their friends and family are for. They can tell them how touching it is to see them wrapped in a creepy flesh-toned sash with flowers draped around them, gazing off into the distance- likely daydreaming about the future of their child. I don't have to.

I get what you're saying- and you're right in the respect that it is a place that you can vent about the thing we all have in common. However, you still have to do it with the understanding that just because we're all pregnant doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with you and it doesn't mean everyone will react the way you want them to. I think bare belly pics are tacky. Does that mean I want everyone to stop posting them? No. I don't really care what people do. If people want to post a picture of themselves naked with woopie pies on their nipples and a flip flop on their vaj- go for it. Just be advised that you may get some responses you don't love.  

• imageJulietL129:
    imagePreggoMissy:
    imageJulietL129:

Just sayin' . Smile

No, that's not the point. This is still a public forum filled with all different people with all different opinions. I don't have any obligation to anyone who posts a super-corny maternity picture to make them feel good about themselves- that's what their friends and family are for. They can tell them how touching it is to see them wrapped in a creepy flesh-toned sash with flowers draped around them, gazing off into the distance- likely daydreaming about the future of their child. I don't have to.

I get what you're saying- and you're right in the respect that it is a place that you can vent about the thing we all have in common. However, you still have to do it with the understanding that just because we're all pregnant doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with you and it doesn't mean everyone will react the way you want them to. I think bare belly pics are tacky. Does that mean I want everyone to stop posting them? No. I don't really care what people do. If people want to post a picture of themselves naked with woopie pies on their nipples and a flip flop on their vaj- go for it. Just be advised that you may get some responses you don't love.  

I tottally agree with you.
    I didn't mean for my past response to sound like a rainbowy, puppies and rainbows type of post.
    I'm fully aware that we have our own opinions and aren't afraid to keep them to ourselves whether it's about an ugly name or a horrid pic !
    But I'd rather run an ugly pic or name through TB first , before deciing to put said pic on my work desk in a frame, or acctually following through with naming my child Cornelius Brutus LastName without honest feedback ! And sometimes the best place to get honest un edited feedback is from strangers ! Stick out tongue
  • I tottally agree with you. 
    I didn't mean for my past response to sound like a rainbowy, puppies and rainbows type of post.
    I'm fully aware that we have our own opinions and aren't afraid to keep them to ourselves whether it's about an ugly name or a horrid pic ! 
    But I'd rather run an ugly pic or name through TB first , before deciing to put said pic on my work desk in a frame, or acctually following through with naming my child Cornelius Brutus LastName without honest feedback ! And sometimes the best place to get honest un edited feedback is from strangers ! Stick out tongue

Hahaha, I gotcha.

BTW- If this is your way of asking what I think of the name "Cornelius Brutus"- it's nice, but I think, "Cornelius Optimus" flows better and adds a modern edge.  

• imageJulietL129:

Hahaha, I gotcha.

BTW- If this is your way of asking what I think of the name "Cornelius Brutus"- it's nice, but I think, "Cornelius Optimus" flows better and adds a modern edge.  

SEE !! THIS is exactly why I post here !!! I would have never thought of Optimus as a mn !!! Youre right it does sound a little edgier with nicer flow. With Cornelius as a fn it satisfies my need for a classic throwback name that should have been buried 100s of years ago, while Optimus satisfies the bf's wishes of a fictional robot name, which happens to be from the same movie as his one true love stars in *Megan Fox*.
    I think this has put our name debate to rest. PHEWF.
    Thanks Juliet!! Wink
  • I agree completely with this, but will add that at the beach and in a bikini, things are a little different.  Most people who wear bikinis shouldn't, and being pregnant, you will probably look better than a lot of them.  I just don't find going bare bellied in regular public places, such as the mall,  to be tasteful, whether you're pregnant or not.
  • This is how I feel as well.  I feel like if it's a place (like the beach for example) where showing skin is appropriate, by all means, feel free to do so.  If however, you are at school, work, or out to dinner, I think it's inappropriate (pregnant or not).  I will be the first to say how beautiful a bump is, but there is a time and place for everything.
  • that's the hard part, i'm in my third trimester and none of my maternity shirts will completely cover my belly and it's way too hot to be layering anything over the little space heater that is my bump. the result is about an inch or so of belly poking out but it's also so low that looking straight on you can't really tell...but maybe from the side you can. idk but i also don't give a *** unless these people who are offended want to shell out the money to get me more expensive maternity clothing i'll only be wearing for the next month they can go ahead and look away. i'd rather spend that money on baby's clothes or college fund!
  • I don't find it "offensive", however, I think it's gross.  Most stretched out bellys don't look cute.  When I see one, I tend to turn away and not look back. 
  • I think the thing we have to remember is, if it's okay for one, it has to be okay for all.  So, if we think it's only okay if it's "cute"... well, that doesn't work, because that's not only biased, but also an opinion and nothing we can measure from person to person.

If you're okay with it, you're okay with it.  If you're not, you're not.  There are going to be some people that find it gross, just like there are people that find bikinis as a whole gross, or (as most of us do) find muffin-topping in any clothes gross.  If it's not okay for a teenage mom to do it, then it's not okay for an adult mom to do it, and doing it might encourage a teenage mom to start.  If it is okay only at the beach, then only at the beach for all!

I wasn't going to put anything personal in, but I thought the woman painting her tummy like a pumpkin for Halloween was pretty cute.

• I don't mind bare bumps.  I think it is okay to showing it.  I know this is going to sound mean but I am not sure how to put it.  If you have a nice shape pre pregnancy go ahead, but if you are over weight some people may have a problem with it.  I know personally I would not want to see a 300 lbs woman displaying her belly.  I think we would need to use common sense when we show off ourselves.  Then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder so what one person might think is beautiful and sexy another may not.  Sorry if I offend somebody it is just my opinion.
  • I would definately have to agree with that.  As for me, I am 16 weeks and 5 days and i wear a bikini at the beach.  Guess its all in taste.
  • I think the people who find bare bumps actually offensive are the same people who find bare bellies in general offensive.  And I agree with what everyone else said about baring your bump when it's a cute bump and not a huge, stretch-mark covered, about to split open bump.  I personally don't bare my bump, but I also would never bare my belly otherwise.  I think the same goes for swimming suits too.  If you would wear a bikini not pregger, then you probably can pull one off pregger.  I would never wear a bikini not prego, so there's no way this big ol' butt is getting into one while pregnant. 

Maybe the bare bumps get so much more attention because they stick out more (quite literally), and some people still have an issue with the whole 'pregnancy is sexy' thing.  

• i dont think they are i wouldnt be running to the store in a tube top but ill admit it do it around the house n in the yard alot since im 3rd tri in augest lol. but then agian its all about taste bare bump in a swimsuit you bet wearing the equivelent of a bra out n about just dosent look right once ur so big. but then agian in summer even i have had that  idc moment nbeen so hot n sweaty that ive gone around in a swim suit top! and bare bump maternity pics are cute but i wouldnt hang them up on my wall lol. but im kinda shy about it. if u got it n wana rock it more power to you! your body your decision

destney

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"