Eco-Friendly Family

diaper dilemma & guilt - sorta long, need advice?

Hi,

So, my DD is 17 mos. She's been in cloth dipes since about 3 mos, but lately (about 3 mos?) we've been using a lot of gro-baby bioliners and sposies because all of her other caregivers have issues with getting the cloth dipes on her correctly (even though we use mostly pockets and all-in-ones). My DH wants to be more involved in changing her dipes but only feels comfortable when she is in sposies ---the grobaby with disposable liners are even too challenging for him, lol. 

So, I'm thinking we should go to using more sposies during the week to make it easy for DH to be involved, as well as for daycare and other caregivers who are not as comfortable with the cloth. This gives me a big feeling of guilt -- for the environment as well as the impact on our wallet. I figure we can cloth diaper part-time, on weekends, and that will still help. Maybe evenings too? But then how long can we go without washing dipes -- 3 days? Our wash routine right now takes 3 cycles -- cold wash with tiny bit of detergent to get the yuckies off, then hot wash with a tiny bit of detergent, then cold rinse. I hate that it uses so much water, and we are on a well and still dealing with a drought here in central Florida, so I would hate to only have like 3 dipes in the wash. Plus the overnight issue is a big one -- haven't found a cloth dipe that can hold her overnight anymore, which is why we started using the grobaby bioliners. 

Anyways, I don't know what I'm asking, expect for you all to help me deal with my guilt on all levels of this diaper debate, please! :) Any advice? Are there eco-friendly disposables that won't break the bank? Any cloth diaper advice for part-timers?  I'm just very conflicted about this whole diaper dilemma and I want to do the best for my baby and for the environment and for our budget, while making sure whatever system we use is simple and not time-consuming because I'm being pulled in so many different directions during the week (is that too much to ask??). It's hard to know what the "right" answer is and I'm feeling like there isn't one. Any words of wisdom would be great...

TIA for any help, 

*Clara*

Re: diaper dilemma & guilt - sorta long, need advice?

• I'm sorry...but if your caregivers & DH find an AIO diaper difficult to put on (that's already prepped), they aren't going to be any better with paper diapers - and that's the issue that I don't get.

There's nothing difficult about an AIO or pocket diaper.  Frankly, I'd just tell them to suck it up. But that's just me & I find I'm getting crankier & less tolerant of  the "ignorance is bliss" attitude as I've gotten older.  ;o

• imageMissyOlivePants:

I'm sorry...but if your caregivers & DH find an AIO diaper difficult to put on (that's already prepped), they aren't going to be any better with paper diapers - and that's the issue that I don't get.

There's nothing difficult about an AIO or pocket diaper.  Frankly, I'd just tell them to suck it up. But that's just me & I find I'm getting crankier & less tolerant of  the "ignorance is bliss" attitude as I've gotten older.  ;o

Ditto. Especially if they are velco. And my mom put the snaps diaper on BACKWARD (how hard that must have been to snap I have no idea) but the diaper still did it's job, so I don't really understand how they aren't working/can't put them on. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure either, they just can't get them to fit snugly when they put them on her and she ends up leaking all over the place...it's frustrating and I don't want to be pissed all the time because they can't figure out how to diaper her or remember simple rules like to not use desitin on a cloth diaper. I'm just wishing there was some happy medium that we could all agree on and that makes it easy for everyone to be involved and makes them love cloth diapers instead of being frustrated with them.
  • imagec1arita:
    I'm not sure either, they just can't get them to fit snugly when they put them on her and she ends up leaking all over the place...it's frustrating and I don't want to be pissed all the time because they can't figure out how to diaper her or remember simple rules like to not use desitin on a cloth diaper. I'm just wishing there was some happy medium that we could all agree on and that makes it easy for everyone to be involved and makes them love cloth diapers instead of being frustrated with them.

First, What diapers are you using? Are they snaps or velcro? I recommend getting velcro for "newbie" cd users and showing them where the velcro should be closed to on her.

Second, can you only keep cd safe diaper creme around? like no desitin, or A & D or anything like that?

Third, Stand your ground mama. I know it's frustrating but they need to get it. It's not THAT hard! If she leaks, she leaks... let them change her clothes. Eventually they'll get sick of doing that and learn to use the cd's! haha

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ditto PPs- I would explain (especially to family members) that you have made an investment in CDs and that's what you are going to use. 

Explain that if your LO was wearing disposables they would still have to put solids in the toilet, etc.  If they aren't washing the diapers I don't see why they would have issues w/ pockets or AIOs. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • 1. don't give them an option.  I think the option of using disposable is making them lazy. 

2. Don't have anything around that could harm your CDs.  I don't even keep Desitin in the house or at DC.

3. Get some velcro dipes if you don't already have them.  Then they'll be exactly the same (minus the paper and chemicals) as disposables.

4.  I'd rather send a few outfit to have my LO change into than use disposables.

5. you need to tell you DH to suck it up and learn.  My H was adept at pfs and now can put on a pocket aswell as I can.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with the other posters that you need to stick to your guns on this -- it's easier to do this with family than with the daycare, albeit.  I have to say, I'm really surprised that you've been cloth diapering for 14 months and your husband still is reluctant about it?  Sounds like you need to give him more practice!  You made a decision that you thought was best for your family and finances, so you don't have to apologize for that!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"