Breastfeeding

Sharing a pump

I am in my second trimester with my first and a couple friends/relatives have said they will give me their breast pump that they have shared with others.  They insist it's safe, no big deal, and want to help me save money.  I feel like they won't take no for an answer.  I am very against sharing, I don't want to harm my baby or transmit anything.  They mean well, how do I say no politely? 

Re: Sharing a pump

• Go buy your own and tell them that someone gave it to you as a gift.
  • As long as you get new pump parts, which are really inexpensive, there's nothing wrong with sharing a motor.  You won't transmit anything because the motor is just a pump, it never touches the milk.  I have a used pump; it's really not a big deal.  It does void the warranty if you share though.

That said, if you don't want to, just say no.  You don't need to explain anything, just tell them you are buying your own pump.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You'll get a lot of don't do it here becuase of sanitary reasons, but I'll share another one.

I recieved a used pump in style.  Worked ok.  I started back to work and just couldn't produce. Couldn't figure out why I was having supply problems.  30 minutes of pumping I'd get 2 oz.  It was at least a month and a half to decide it had to be my pump.  It was an agonizing decision to get rid of what I thought was a perfectly good pump and spend another 200 dollars.  

Just look below at how many supply issue posts there are.  If you do have problems you won't know if it's your pump.  

• imageliza0828:

As long as you get new pump parts, which are really inexpensive, there's nothing wrong with sharing a motor.  You won't transmit anything because the motor is just a pump, it never touches the milk.  I have a used pump; it's really not a big deal.  It does void the warranty if you share though.

That said, if you don't want to, just say no.  You don't need to explain anything, just tell them you are buying your own pump.

This. I'm borrowing someones pump...and I've never understood why some people say not to share one. There's no possible way (that I can think of) that anything could be transmitted.

• https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/HomeHealthandConsumer/ConsumerProducts/BreastPumps/ucm061939.htm#4

The FDA warns against used pumps, they can transmit diseases.  I agree the pp who suggested just buying your own so and saying you already have one to all those who are trying to give you theirs.

• imageliza0828:

As long as you get new pump parts, which are really inexpensive, there's nothing wrong with sharing a motor.  You won't transmit anything because the motor is just a pump, it never touches the milk.  I have a used pump; it's really not a big deal.  It does void the warranty if you share though.

The personal use pumps are not closed systems, so technically, it is possible to catch something like hepatitis from a used pump. Chances are slim...but it could happen.

Hospital grade pumps are closed systems and can be shared.

My sister had a PISA. I knew she didn't have a communicable disease, so I bought my own tubing, valves, bottles etc. and used hers. Unfortunately, within about 4 months, I realized that my suction had declined, and it turned out to be the pump. Had to buy a new one anyway.

Still, I would be comfortable inheriting a used pump from, say, my sister, but not off of ebay or craig's list or something. 

Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • I can understand both sides of the share/don't share argument.  I personally have used my SIL's old pump (she barely used it and it was in great condition) and I'm fine with that.  Not sure if I'd be down for having a pump that had been used by several people.  If only because you just don't know if it was taken care of.

Ultimately, you didn't ask for advice about sharing or not sharing - you asked how to say no.  I'm a pretty straight forward person so I'd tell them that you plan on using the pump for a long time (with this child and future children) and you feel most comfortable buying new.  If they keep pushing you, tell you're not going to change your mind and you'd appreciate if they drop it.

It always amazes me how pushy some people are about anything and everything having to do with children and babies.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagegatorchristie:

https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/HomeHealthandConsumer/ConsumerProducts/BreastPumps/ucm061939.htm#4

The FDA warns against used pumps, they can transmit diseases.  I agree the pp who suggested just buying your own so and saying you already have one to all those who are trying to give you theirs.

A used pump, including the tubing, shields, and valves-- yes, I can see that there might be a disease transmission risk.  But using a breast pump motor?  I would be interested to see even one documented case (not just statements of theoretical risk) of a baby getting HIV, hepatitis, or any other disease from a mother using a used breast pump motor. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went through this same situation when I was PG with DS. DH's cousin insisted I take her breast pump, which I was against from the get go. But I wound up using it for the first few weeks since DS was born earlier than expected at 36 weeks. I absolutely HATED that pump. I wound up having to buy myself a new one because the motor was dying a slow death. My boobs were never empty and my supply was going to the toilet.

I went out, bought a new one and told her that her pump died. End of story. I would just buy yourself a new pump, tell your friend/relative that someone bought it for you, and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. Smile

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• There are only a couple personal ones on the market that are FDA approved for sharing the purely yours is one of them because it is a closed system.  Also, keep in mind that if someone used the pump for a year the motor may not be the greatest.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for all the great info!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"