Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Unpopular Opinion

I find it weird when mothers "have" to ride in the back seat with their baby. DH is not a chauffeur and it is the only real adult time we have sometimes. If DS is extremely fussy then I will sit back there to calm him, but that is about it!

ETA: Seat surfers are okay in my book. We are all mothers who must attend to our children. I'm talking about those that sit there to start.

Re: Unpopular Opinion

• I'm still guilty of doing this.  I'm not sure why I keep doing it.  lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We only did that when DS was a newborn. He was so little and his head always flopped over, I was so paranoid that he would stop breathing! But now that he is 3 months, fits better in the seat and holds his head up not necessary!
  • Loading the player...
  • We have to bc we have a 2 door and there's no room for my legs up front bc of the carseat...and I'm 5'3"!! :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • I am a seat surfer in my car. I start out in the front seat with DH but if DS starts melting down and I know he won't stop I climb back and try to soothe him then once he's ok I climb back to the front seat. Safe? Probably not but oh well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemyonetruelove:

I find it weird when mothers "have" to ride in the back seat with their baby. DH is not a chauffeur and it is the only real adult time we have sometimes. If DS is extremely fussy then I will sit back there to calm him, but that is about it!

I agree 100%

• imageanabell0920:
    I am a seat surfer in my car. I start out in the front seat with DH but if DS starts melting down and I know he won't stop I climb back and try to soothe him then once he's ok I climb back to the front seat. Safe? Probably not but oh well.

This is so me!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • guilty! I sat up front once and ended up climbing into the back cause baby D was melting down. We have a bit of a commute to town; this way I can play with her and we don't have to pull over as much. She is getting better at car rides - or maybe our timing for car rides is getting better. I'll relocate to the front one day

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageanabell0920:
    I am a seat surfer in my car. I start out in the front seat with DH but if DS starts melting down and I know he won't stop I climb back and try to soothe him then once he's ok I climb back to the front seat. Safe? Probably not but oh well.

This ... 

• I rode in the back until we put him in his convertible seat around 4.5 months.
  • i agree that it probably shouldn't be necessary at all times. i'll hop back there only if she's spazzing out and my presence has a calming effect on her until we can stop somewhere to feed her or something.
  • I ride in the back on the days that I don't feel like having my knees shoved into the dash, LOL.  I have long legs.

• I did it for a few weeks after DS was born because his head kept flopping around. Once I felt comfortable, I moved back to the front. Now I do musical chairs in the car. I'm always in the front though I have very little room for my legs. If DS has a meltdown, I hop to the back. Once he's calm or sleeping, I hop back to the front. I'm sure one of these days I'll end up through the windshield...
  • I've told my DH that I miss sitting up front with him...DS has meltdowns in the car if he is not attended to.  I hate driving in the car alone w/DS...guaranteed a meltdown!
  • dvroxydvroxy member

imageanabell0920:

I do this too.

• imageMamatoJackson:
    I'm still guilty of doing this.  I'm not sure why I keep doing it.  lol

me too! i sit back there out of habit now.

• imageTiger1984:
    We only did that when DS was a newborn. He was so little and his head always flopped over, I was so paranoid that he would stop breathing! But now that he is 3 months, fits better in the seat and holds his head up not necessary!

This exactly.  DS was a tiny newborn. 

Also, he hated his carseat and would scream unless I was there to keep his paci in his mouth.  I cannot stand riding in the front while he screams.

Now that he is older, I don't sit back there all the time, probably about half the time, depending on his mood.

• Depending on the day hes been having........I do both sit in back and seat surfing. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • I'm with you! I've only been in the back with DS a few times. One was the ride home from the hospital. Other than that, it was me hopping back there when we were on a long car trip and he was melting down, or once we were stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with no exit in sight. We live pretty close to everything, so usually we are within 5-10 minutes from our destination so if he pitches a fit, we just wait until we get there.
  • I must be lucky b/c I have never had to sit back there!  He loves riding in the car!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hardly ever sat in the back with DS. He just falls asleep.
  • I ride in the front seat unless DD gets fussy I will climb to the back seat.
  • imagemitchelltheojua:

imageanabell0920:

This ... 

Your daughter is beautiful!

• imagemitchelltheojua:

imageanabell0920:

This ... 

Your daughter is beautiful!

• I have to agree with you on this one, we do the same thing.  In fact, DD is usually in a fussier mood if one of us sits in the back with her {I think she realizes, "hey you're right there, take me out of this car seat!"} But either way, I agree, I love the adult time with my DH in the front seat and 99% of the time DD is happy by herself in the back. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Well, my baby screams his head off everytime he's in hs carseat so when we all go out together, I sit in the back to help calm him down.  I'd love nothing more than to be up front but until he gets through this phase, I'm in the back.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I only sit in the back if we take the dogs with us as well, because the dogs will jump onto the baby in his car seat.  The one time I sat in the front and the dogs in the back, we turned around and found one of the dogs just sitting on DS's legs, and he was only like 4 weeks at that time.  

So, I'll probably stay back there until DS is in a convertible car seat. 

• I still sit in the back.  Liam HATES the car, and hate is not a strong enough word.  If I can distract him enough to get him to and from daycare/the store/his aunt and uncle's house, then I am happy, and he doesn't pass out due to screaming his head off.

This kid never screams otherwise, so I try and help out where I can.  I carpool with DH, so I sit with him for 90% of the trip anyway.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My husband can talk to me no matter where I'm sitting. A baby can't even see you in the front seat.
  • I did it on the way home from the hospital. I do it if we all (DH, me, LO, and our dog) drive to our family's house 4 hours away bc I don't want the dog in the back seat with LO.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"