1st Trimester

Are you going to breastfeed?

Why or why not?

Lets keep it civil shall we

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers

Re: Are you going to breastfeed?

• I'm going to try- my mom had problems and couldn't BF, so who knows if that is genetic.  But if I can't- I'm ok with not doing it (at this point- that could change)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • going to try yes.

I had a hard time with ds as he was a preemie, we were seperated at birth, I was very sick, he had issues just trying to drink from a bottle. I tried through week 8 and went to formula. I only pumped maybe an oz at a time and could not keep up with what he needed. It sucked and I hated quitting.

I hope it comes very naturally for me this time! I would love to be able to experience the joys of BFing and not just the frustrations!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan to do my very best to try.  Then again, I this is my first and I have no idea what I am getting myself into.  But right this second, I am saying yes.  I say yes because I know it's good for the baby and its FREE!
  • I did last time.  Took us 7 weeks with appts at the lactation counselor, but we stuck with it and finally got all the kinks worked out.   BF'd LO for 9 months.

I plan to again.

TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • yes.  i think there's a lot that goes into bfing, but at the end of the day it's a main priority for me.  i do remember days where i felt like all i did was nurse DD, but at the end of the day it was very worth it to nurse for 14 months. 

barring any major complications, i'll be bfing this one as well.

• Yes because I found it to be easier for me than making bottles and less expensive and healthy.  I also enjoyed the bonding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Absolutely going to try! I only was able to for 3 wks with DD.

The first weeks are sooooo good for baby bc it provides the baby with all kinds of antibodies and helps build there immune system. Its good for mama bc it lowers risk of breast cancer, helps contract uterus, and helps get the extra baby weight off

• Yep. Not only is it best for baby, but our life will be so crazy those first few months with moving back here/ LO's passport issues/ DH being in and out that I can't imagine having to deal with formula and all that running around. Seems way easier to just have LO's "food" on hand at all times w/o worrying if I bring enough along or where to refrigerate it. 

I could be totally kidding myself that it will be easier, but it seems to make sense to me.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I tried to BF DD and hated it.  I exclusively pumped up until she was a little over 5 months though.  I will not BF this baby, but I will pump again.  Probably until I go back to work.  Pumping at work was not the easiest thing in the world due to the set up of my work place (the office is made up of mostly glass and there are no locks on any of the doors) and I didn't particularly love pumping to begin with.  I will do it again, but I'm definitely doing for a shorter period this time.
  • I plan on breastfeeding for a least 6 m but I know it is going to be hard this time because I will be returning to work at 6 weeks with this one. I did not start working till DS was 7 months old and pumping at worked sucked and it killed my supply but I am going to do my best.
    CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Our plan is to pump, and bottle feed.  That way DH can help with the feedings early on.  We both feel that it is the best of both worlds, the baby gets the nutrients and immunities that they need, and we are not tied to just me being able to deal with feedings.  And if we are bottle feeding only, Baby will not have nipple confusion from going back and forth.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ReeseMReeseM member

Yes. I did with DD for 13 months, and hope to be able to do so with this one. It's not a walk in the park, but after the first couple months it was second nature. 

• I am. I didn't get to with my son since he was in the NICU for the first month after he was born. I did get to with my daughter and will nurse again when this baby comes.

I really loved the connection I had to my baby when I breastfed. The bonding was wonderful and I loved the time for just she and I.

• Yes I'm going to BF again.  I had mixed emotions after DS weaned on if I'd do it again, but I've been done BFing for a year now and I feel like I could do it again.  I think I will be a little more laid back about letting DH give the baby a bottle in the middle of the night if I need some sleep.  The first couple months are just SO HARD when you are the one that has to get up every.single.time.  Plus for the first 6 weeks or so DS nursed for an hour at a time, so I was up a lot!
  • I am going to try.

DS was a preemie so I EPed for 10 months. If BFing doesn't work out then I am going to EP again. I know I can make enough milk to feed a small army when I am EPing so one way or another this baby is going to get breast milk. 

• Yes. I bf my dd and I will definitely be doing it again for this little one. I really enjoyed doing it and am looking forward to doing it again.

With my first, bfing was my greatest fear- even more than labor. It takes a little practice, but once we left the hospital, she was eating like a champ :) 

I truly believe we bonded during this time and I am so proud of myself for sticking with it and not giving up. 

GL to all of you going to bf. 

• imagecbm3228:
    I'm going to try- my mom had problems and couldn't BF, so who knows if that is genetic.  But if I can't- I'm ok with not doing it (at this point- that could change)

Same here. My mom couldn't with me or my siblings. I hope that's not genetic because I'd really like to. We'll see what happens. 

• imageJustOne:
    Our plan is to pump, and bottle feed.  That way DH can help with the feedings early on.  We both feel that it is the best of both worlds, the baby gets the nutrients and immunities that they need, and we are not tied to just me being able to deal with feedings.  And if we are bottle feeding only, Baby will not have nipple confusion from going back and forth.

The only problem with this is that you still have to pump when your DH feeds the baby a bottle or a. your boobs will explode and b. it will hurt your supply.  It's kind of complicated like that.  Although, I too hope to find some way to make it work this time!

• Yup.  Still BFing DS.  It's been fabulous - so much cheaper, incredibly portable, always on hand (well, for me - DH must fend for himself when it comes to baby calming), healthier for baby & me, etc. The only thing I'm not really looking forward to is pumping again, but still well worth that slight annoyance.

For pp who mentioned her mom having problems - my mom had supply issues, but that was never a problem for us.  GL!

• I plan on it.  I also want to pump some so that DH or someone else can give the baby a bottle.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am not. I'm not comfortable with the thought of it and I know I won't be comfortable doing it so why put myself and the baby through unnecessary stress.
  • Definitely, god willing. I hope I have no problems. I will probably also pump and have bottles on hand so DH or a babysitter can feed baby too, although I don't know whether switching back and forth from breast to bottle is ok.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Breast feeding is not easy.  Had a hard time with DS latching and getting enough.   OMG IT WAS Hard.  I made it about six months.  Will try with this one.  Lets hope its a little easier second time around.
  • I'm planning on it.  All the literature I've read suggests that it's the healthiest option. However, if it doesn't work out, I'm  not going to think my baby is unhealthy if it's formula fed.
  • I pumped with DD.  My supply went away on its on at 3 1/2 months.  I am going to try again with this one because I felt like I was always cleaning bottles the last time. 
  • I plan on it and did it until almost 15 mo. with DS.  Not always the easiest, but I think in the long run it was easier than bottles. 

I give major props to those moms that exclusively pump though b/c that's a ton of work (pumping, cleaning bottles, feeding baby, rinse/repeat,etc.) 

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am going to pump...DS was FF right away due to medication I was on when I had him so I wasn't able to. This time around I am med free so I would like to give it a try but we shall see. I will be supplementing with formula as well. 
  • I'm going to give it another shot.  

I had to use a nipple shield with DS (I apparently have the World's shortest nipples) and it was a nightmare.  BFing was never 'easy' for us ... he never latched without the shield and by the time I got to 5 weeks I was stressed out of my mind.  

I enjoyed the bonding at 4pm in the afternoon, while sitting on the couch and chatting with friends.  I did NOT enjoy the 'bonding' at 4am with a kid who couldn't get latched on, and then once he did, wanted to STAY latched for 4 hours.  I just couldn't do it.  

However, he was early (37.5 weeks) and my LC that can cause issues with latching a lot of times.  So, maybe this time will be different  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Yes.

I realize it may not work out, but I want to think positively about it.

ETA my why: I believe it's healthier for the baby. It's cheaper and I don't see why not.

• Yes....I plan on BF'ing again.  I BF DD until 11 months.  Hopefully longer this time because I won't be working this time around.

I just skimmed the other posts so I apologize if this has already been said.  Most everyone know the benefits of breastfeeding.  But I think it's important that first time breastfeeders also know the challenges.  It can be very hard, especially the first few weeks.  Just don't plan on it being a piece of cake and I think you will be better prepared.  I also found the classes that my hospital offered VERY helpful.  If there's a lactation consultant there you find yourself not "clicking" with then ask if there is another there that can help.  Good Luck everyone :-)

• I do plan on BFing. Like some have said, my mom had issues. She never got milk in and never went into labor, somthing about missing a hormone, I hope it is not genetic for sure. I would like to pump too, I have an older brother who never gets to bond with his kids during a feeding time b/c his wife is BFing and doesn't pump. I'd like for grandparents and DH to be able to give the baby a bottle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) i am never without it (anywhere i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling) i fear" -E.E. Cummings (In Memory of Baby Beluga 3-21-10)
  • I am going to try my hardest, mainly because 1) it's free and 2) my husband has allergies and asthma, so if there's any possibility that breastfeeding might prevent/lessen them in my kids I'm all for it.  Also, I've found that for me it's much more convenient in the middle of the night than having to prepare a bottle.

That being said, I'm going to have two other small children running around, so I don't know how it's going to work out to care for them while trying to feed a newborn for long stretches of time.  I'm also not that comfortable doing it in front of other people (have no problems when others do, this is just my issue), so I tend to be really tied down during this phase.   

• image"mooskie":

Yes....I plan on BF'ing again.  I BF DD until 11 months.  Hopefully longer this time because I won't be working this time around.

I just skimmed the other posts so I apologize if this has already been said.  Most everyone know the benefits of breastfeeding.  But I think it's important that first time breastfeeders also know the challenges.  It can be very hard, especially the first few weeks.  Just don't plan on it being a piece of cake and I think you will be better prepared.  I also found the classes that my hospital offered VERY helpful.  If there's a lactation consultant there you find yourself not "clicking" with then ask if there is another there that can help.  Good Luck everyone :-)

Yes.  This.  

I saw 3 different LCs ... the first 2 were HORRID.  If it hadn't been for the 3rd, I wouldn't have even made it the 5 weeks that I did.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Yes.  I BF'd DS for a year.  It was a huge commitment, especially after I went back to work when DS was 4 mos but I was determinded to make it.  I'm hoping to do the same with this LO.  I would really like to make it to a year again. It really is the best for them and cheap Wink I never bought formula.
  • I would like to. its better and cheaper. All depends on if my medications are okay with BF.
  • I struggled to breastfeed my daughter (exclusively) for the first three months of her life.  I never made much milk and it was very difficult for me, not matter how hard I tried and how much I fed/pumped.  I switched her to formula once I just couldn't do it anymore.  I feel good knowing I did it for three months but I was not happy while I was breastfeeding her.

I'd like to try to breastfeed again but if I don't succeed, I won't be too upset.  DD did fine on formula and I have no problems using it again. 

I think it takes two to breastfeed, and when either Mom or baby is struggling and unhappy, it won't work.

• Yes, I bfed my dd for a year and plan on doing the same for this baby.

I never understand why people get riled up about this topic(not at all directed at the OP just in general).  Why on earth would I care if your bf or ff fed your baby?  Why get so worked up about what other people do with thier children?

Clomid M/C 8 weeks 2/08 *IVF #1-DD born 3/09
    *Surprise BFP-T18 baby lost at 13w 1/10 *FET #1-DS born 2/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Yep!  I did for 7 months and then DS did not want to anymore...which was sad for me.  I loved the bond!  I bf'd whenever we were together and pumped at  work for his bottles during the day.  It was actually pretty easy for me...fingers crossed for this one! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I breastfed my daughter and will with this one too!
  • imageJenWen3:

Yes.

I realize it may not work out, but I want to think positively about it.

ETA my why: I believe it's healthier for the baby. It's cheaper and I don't see why not.

This.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"