Maryland Babies

Tell The Truth Tuesday: Are you worried about your weight gain?

My answer is yes.  But not enough to do anything about it.  I'm "worried" about finding time to get into a training routine once the newbie is here. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I've gained 23lbs and I'm now at 187lbs.  My target non-pregnant weight is between 155-160.  Which is still "overweight" based on BMI.  But we know what BS BMI is!

You go next:  Are you worried about your weight gain?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image

Re: Tell The Truth Tuesday: Are you worried about your weight gain?

• Dang, this was supposed to go on Sept mamas!  But I'll leave it here too!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Well to tell you the truth at first I wasn't to concerned and then by the end of my pregnancy I had gained over 50lbs thanks to pre-e. But I was able to loss almost 30lbs just from water weight and by the time I was 2 week pp and I lost it all. I still need to loss like 10lbs but that was pre-baby. One day I will loss it.

• Loading the player...
  • kesryakesrya member

Actually, I got a little concerned about my lack of weight gain.  When I went back to the MW between 7 and 13 weeks, I hadn't gained any weight and she said it in a way that made me feel like something was wrong.  Then I got on the scale two nights ago and I had gone down 2 pounds!  So I started to worry.

But ... overall I've gained 5 pounds since first becoming pregnant, which is actually probably a little ahead of the recommended weight gain, so I'm trying not to let my worry become an excuse to eat a tub of delicious peanut brittle ice cream ;)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Quite honestly, I wasn't worried about it, but gaining weight like that - although expected! - did kind of freak me out, because I've never had to worry about my weight... it's always just sort of maintained itself w/o me doing much.  It was bizarre to adjust to seeing the scale go up at each appt!  I had one five week gap (from 24w to 29w) where it jumped drastically and I felt AWFUL about it (I seriously almost cried in the middle of RiteAid after the appt as I was on the phone w/my mom and poor DH didn't know what to do), but it all leveled out.

Really, it's not worth stressing out about - as long as you're making healthy food choices and staying active, your body is going to gain what it needs to during pregnancy.  And you may be surprised at how fast you drop the weight - I gained 29 lbs total and dropped it so fast that I was back at my original weight at 1 week PP.  I literally would drop 3+ lbs a day once I was back home - it was crazy to get on the scale in the morning.

Try to stay calm about it and remember that it's all for a good cause - that healthy baby at the end! :)

• I'm the kind of person who has to exercies regularly and watch what I eat to stay within a healthy weight range.  Honestly I have no idea how much weight I gained, I tend not to weigh myself ever, I go by how my clothes fit and how I feel.  I know I did gain a good deal of weight and I'm still working on getting it off.  I've been BFing for 7 months now and I know that for some BFing takes the pounds right off, it really hasn't done that for me.  I was worried about gaining weight, but I also knew that I would just have to do what I've always done to get it off and keep it off.  It's definately tougher trying to fit in a time to work out with having a LO and then having an 8 hour work day with an hour commute each way, but I squeeze it in.  I just accepted that I was going to gain weight and that it was a good thing for my LO, and it was nice to indulge in a little ice cream every night and not feel especially guilty about it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I gained 40 lbs when I was PG.  Even though I knew it was for a good reason, it did still concern me a little because I was beyond their suggested range, but I did try to eat healthy and exercise still during my pregnancy (well, until the very end and all the freaking snow!)  I've always been thin and never had to watch what I ate, so EVERYONE would ask me how much weight I had gained and that made me a little self conscious!

The weight honestly fell off of me...the only thing I really did was go on lots of walks with DS when I was on leave.  I EBF and it was less than a month until I was back in my normal jeans.  When DS was turned 4 months, I was a lb under my normal weight.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • With my first pregnancy I wasn't really worried about my weight gain since it was on a pretty steady pace and nothing too drastic.  I was back down close to my pp weight not too long after giving birth.  Things didn't go back the way they were but I kind of figured that was going to happen.

I was really hoping to get into better shape but I became pregnant before I reached my ideal body shape.  So far this pregnancy I'm more worried about my lack of weight gain.  From my calculations I am about five pounds below my prepregnancy weight but I go to the doctors today so I'll find out for sure.

• I will chime in even though my baby is one year old!!

I gained 38 pounds total with my pregnancy. My doctor told me to gain about 25 so I was always so anxious at appointments. I had strategies, like wearing lightweight gauzy dresses and removing my shoes. LOL. Oh and I know I probably could have gained less if I tried.....I ate like a trucker while PG. I mean I ate very healthy, but I ate a LOT of treats too. 

In the end it didn't matter. I had no complications, gave birth to a perfectly healthy (albeit big) baby, and my doctor never said a word about it to me. I was at my pre-pg weight like 3 weeks pp, although I have managed to pack on another 10 or so pounds since then due to lifestyle stuff.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wasn't that worried about it; I was worried about alot of other things during my PG, but weight really wasn't one of them.  I wasn't super strict about my diet either, but I made sure I had veggies or fruit at every meal.

I'm already overweight and I gained about 20-25 lbs during the PG and it all came off within about 2 months w/o much trying.  I wish the other 30+ lbs would come off too, but so far, no such luck.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I was not concerned, but my docs were getting on my nerves at every appointment.  They even wanted me to see a nutritionist...no way was I going.  I gained 30lbs, then another 10lbs within like 2 weeks.  I have lost all of that PLUS 10lbs.
  • im pretty much in the same boat at you... i started at 155 now 184 at 33wks. it doesnt look like it though cause i had big boobies before and backside so i think i just filled out these areas and in the belly so my wieght distributed evenly.. i can still fit all my clothes i just wear a belly band so i dont strangle my baby in belly lol.. but yes I WORRY but my doctor says im healthy no issues so i just try to make sure i continue to eat right and not go overboard.. hopefully breastfeeding will help me loos what i gained.
  • It has been 9 months and I still have about 10lbs to lose to get to my pre pregnancy weight.  I gained about 50lbs and I was overwieght to begin with....my doctor only wanted me to gain about 25-30lbs.  I had gained weight at every single doctor's visit.  The doctor wasn't too concerned because my bp and everything else was always normal.  I think by two weeks pp, I had lost 30lbs.....I tried to breastfeed and it didn't work, so that wasn't what helped....I think it was just the stresses of being a new mom and whatever I lost in the hospital.  But, I really did eat whatever I wanted, just not soda.  I ate my veggies,too, though.   
  • I was thin before and always had a "fat" complex.  So yes getting pg concerned me that I'd get huge and never go back.  Call me shallow, I don't care, :)

I gained 20lbs during my pregnancy.  I'm still not technically at my pre-pg weight, but i was in my regular pants within the first week.  I still need to lose some, but i'm pretty much the same as before.

• I've been a little worried, largely because I fought to lose 22 lbs while TTC, (A PCOS blessing) and then to consider gaining and gaining makes me nervous, but I seem to be doing well. I've gained 9 lb. so far, as of yesterday. I don't weigh in at home, just at midwife appointments. I just don't want it to get out of control or have a hard time losing after-pregnancy or even gaining post-partum when the hormones go out of whack, I guess it depends! I'm hoping that our plan of EBF will help, but like someone mentioned, it doesn't always go that way for everyone!
  • YES!!!! Im @ 184 and im just 6months. I feel like im gonna burst...and the heat is not helping
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"