2nd Trimester

i cant stop the itch!!!

Im 22 weeks and for the last two weeks all i do is itch every where!! nothing is working i switched all my products and nothing has worked! I started using creams to help relief me but nothing works! i cant sleep or sit still with out itching myself! and its my whole body! i now  have a rash from it! anyone else have this problem or can offer me any advice??? thanks

Re: i cant stop the itch!!!

• Perhaps it is your laundry detergent or softener? I had an issue similar to this a few years back and ever since I started using a fragrance-free one, it has not happened.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have the same problem and now I have a rash all over my hands and arms!  I haven't figured out how to help the situation. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't offer advice. And luckily my itching has been just along my jawline (I know, so random). Maybe ask your doctor if there are any special creams s/he recommends. I've heard it's common, though. Hope you feel better!
  • imageOctoberBabyH:
    Perhaps it is your laundry detergent or softener? I had an issue similar to this a few years back and ever since I started using a fragrance-free one, it has not happened.

This, and also try using an unscented soap and lotions.

• I'm 23 weeks and have been itchy too! but I've been using Mama Mio products like the Tummy Stretch Mark Rub and it seems to help relieve the itching for me. Goodluck!
  • image~Flossie~:

imageOctoberBabyH:
    Perhaps it is your laundry detergent or softener? I had an issue similar to this a few years back and ever since I started using a fragrance-free one, it has not happened.

This, and also try using an unscented soap and lotions.

Exactly. I should have mentioned I use a fragrance free body wash as well and an all natural deodorant. For hair, it's all natural/organic products. I seem to have had a reaction to so many things that this is what seems to work for me. 

• It might be something that you are using. When you are pregnant tour body will react to things differntly. It can also cause certain skin conditions to flare up. Id call your doctor so that you can do what is necessary to feel better! GL
  • i have tried everything and nothing its working! im not sure what to do anymore! im trying to get ahold of my doctor, some of the things i have read online are freaking me out a little bit!
  • PUPPS maybe? Or does that normally occur later on?
  • image*sallymad*:
    PUPPS maybe? Or does that normally occur later on?

I had this and it was HORRIBLE!!! Mine didn't show up until super close to the end though.  It started where stretch marks were and then spread.  Talk to your DR.  It is so early that they could give you something if it is this.  If you wait too long and have PUPPS you can't do diddly, but once you have your LO it will go away.  I had a c-section and it was almost gone by the time I left the hospital.

I don't have it now, if you are going to get it it is usually with the first pregnancy and you don't get it again, but my eczema is going haywire.  My hands are pretty crappy looking. 

Good Luck! Nothing worse than being itchy!

Yeah...my pics were so old. I got 3 kids. Nuff said. :)
  • My legs and belly were SUPER itchy- and I was scratching to the point where i would wake up with big scratches in the morning from itching so much. I went and bought 100% organic cocoa butter- the kind you have to melt in the microwave to use- and it has done WONDERS. Good luck and feel better ladies!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• They recommend calendula cream as an all purpose for newborns.  since I already had it, I tried it for my incessant itching - it did help, particularly on my face.  It's a bit expensive, though.
  • Yes!!!  I have been dieing.  I take one benadryle at night and oatmeal baths everyday.  I use Eucerin itch relief cream and cortizone like its going out of style.  The heat isnt  helping much.  I am 31 weeks.  I was also tested for a more serious condition where the baby's bile can get into your blood stream which causes itching everywhere.  You should tell your doc and ask to be tested.  Mine came back neg - so i am pushing through the final 9 weeks.  I have also used Baby Exzema cream - which seemed to help a little. 

Benedryle is your best bet - but take it at night as it makes you sleepy.  It is a class B drug and can be taken during pregnancy.   

Good luck! 

• I too had the same problem, rash ad all. Finally got medicine from OB, Mystatin I think, do not have it with me bit really works and I also use Witch hazel to wipe  the area
  • Thats sooo odd, becasue i just started itching yesterday and Im 34 weeks Preggo....I was concerned because i thought it might affect my baby, but i see thats its kinda common to react differently to certain things...Then again, i had mango chicken last night and thats when i started itching (my hands, feet, arms and back/neck) I dont have any hives or red spots...its literally internally....i simply put on calamine lotion and it soothed it temporary...
  • I feel for you!  I had the same issue.  It just started out of no where and lasted about 5 weeks.  I went to my OB who gave me a steroid pack and sent me home.  She told me if it doesn't go away then I should see a dermatologist.  After a week it still hadn't gone away so I went to see the dermatologist and that was a big waste of time and money.  He looked at me for 2 minutes and said I have a pregnancy related rash and they don't know what caused it but I will probably have it until the end of the pregnancy (at the time I had 12 weeks left).  I went home and cried.  He said it could be anything from my detergent to bath soap or a certain food I am eating.  A few weeks later I changed my shower gel (I had been using the same shower gel & scent for years leading up to pregnancy and through my entire pregnancy).  I changed it to Aveeno fragrance free.  Within a week it had cleared up.  I think it was just a freak thing that happens to some people during their pregnancy.  With all of the changes to your body you develop sensitivity to certain things.  Here are some of the things I did over my 5 weeks of misery.

Oatmeal bath - didn't work for me, Benedrayl - didn't work for me; the only thing that worked is a hot shower which helps to open your pores and then apply Gold bond anti-itch lotion.  I was taking 3 - 4 showers a day to get through it.  It allowed me about 3 - 4 hours at a time of relief.  Like I said, eventually it just went away.  I don't know if it's because I switched my shower gel or if it was something else.  I am still using Aveeno shower wash because I am not willing to test the theory, just happy to not be itching.  

• join the club! i have been using fragrance free dove body wash and st ives soothing oatmeal and shea butter lotion. switch to fragrance free detergent and fabric softener. all cotton clothing helps too. AND DONT SCRATCH!!! hang in there....
  • I have had a lot of itching since I've been pregnant, too--I itched so much that I made myself bleed a couple of times from the scratching. Some things that have worked for me are:

-using baby laundry detergent and sensitive skin fabric softener to wash all my clothes

-using Basis sensitive skin bar instead of soap/body washes (the Aveeno oatmeal bar worked, too, but I didn't like the smell)

-using Aveeno body lotion with oatmeal

I've heard that the Aveeno oatmeal bath is helpful, too, but I haven't tried it myself.

Good luck!

• I experienced the same problem.  Definately see your OB - itching can be a sign of kidney issues.  There is also a condition that involves a rash related to pregancy.

Once you are cleared for the above by your OB - Benadryl Gel works like a charm.  I enrobed my self in it twice a day.

• I had it bad with both my pregnancies the worst was not being able to sleep at night. It could be several reasons for your itching (pregnancy hormones, skin stretching, products, pupps ect..)  If changing your products & using lotions not working you should see your doctor. Your Dr should be able to help you get some relief especially if you?re not sleeping at night.

• I'm 30 weeks along and going through the exact same thing this very moment. I freaked out, reading everything online about Cholestasis of Pregnancy (www.itchymoms.com is actually a helpful website). I went to the doctor's in tears and they gave me an Rx for Hysdrocortisone and did some labwork (specifically a liver function and serum bile acid test) in order to rule out something major. Turns out my labs were fine and I just have "Dermatitis of Pregnancy" which is very common in the 3rd trimester and should eventually go away. I just hope I still have some skin left after all of my intense, middle-of-the-night scratchings. Hang in there and know that there are other sufferers as well!
  • This happened to me during my pregnancy...I was itchy all the time.  I talked to my doctor she said try benedryl cream.  Also, if it was worse at night and I couldn't sleep she said to take half a benedryl.  I did a few times and it worked wonders.  I tried not to use it that often though because I am not comfortable taking any medications during pregnancy unless I absolutely have to. 
  • I had Cholestasis during my first pregnancy (intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy), and it causes unbelievable itching EVERYWHERE - palms of hands, soles of feet, in the ears, eyeballs...

You may want to ask your doc about this. It's very rare, so many will refuse to even consider it, but it is life threatening to baby if you go untreated. It doesn't hurt mommy other than the discomfort and risk of hemorrhage (I hemorrhaged during delivery, but everything was fine), but baby cannot survive full-term in most cases. If you have it, you will be put on meds and induced at 36-37 weeks.

Good luck!!

• I have this same problem.  I don't have the itchiness all over, however.  Mainly my legs.  I brought it up to my doctor and she actually had blood work drawn.  There is a condition that can be dangerous if not handled and itchiness all over is the main cause.  Please call your doctor and tell them.  It could be nothing, but better to be safe than sorry.
  • If it is PUPPP, and you're hesitant to try steroids (I understand they're not classed at all, and my midwives wouldn't prescribe them even though I begged unless this stuff didn't help): 

https://www.rainiersoapworks.com/puppp_relief.htm

A disclaimer, though - it seemed like this company didn't keep this stuff made, maybe because PUPPP is pretty rare, but I paid for overnight shipping because I felt like I was DYING, and it took three days to arrive. It was overnight...from the day they sent it, not the day I ordered it. The soap and lotion combo worked really well for me; the itching was gone within a day and the rash was mostly gone within a few days. It smelled good too, like mint gum. However, I just tried to use it again because it was expensive and I had half a jar left, and it smelled good so I figured I might as well get rid of it, but it had molded in the six weeks since my daughter was born. Guess that's what you get with all natural...no preservatives...and that is also probably why they don't seem to keep it stocked...

In the end I was pretty mad about it because this stuff was expensive and the steroids would have been less than five dollars with my insurance...but that's what I get for using midwives (which is a different story altogether). 

Hope you and your doc get it figured out soon, and that it is PUPPP and not a liver problem! PUPPP sucks but it's just itching, not system failure!

• This is something you NEED to tell you Dr. or Midwife.  There are two things they will be looking for...first is PUPPS, which presents as a rash on your trunk area (belly, upper thighs), if you don't have a rash, it's not PUPPS.  The second is cholestasis of pregnancy which cause a bile salts build up in your body and this causes itching.  There is a simple blood test to check for cholestasis, and is also an indication for induction as soon as you are term.  Good Luck!
  • I'm only 16 wks but have had eczema for years and finally got it under control the last year or two.  I tried every cream, over the counter, steroid, saw several dematologists and nothing worked until...I bought generic walmart baby oil with vitamin e in it.  It works wonders.  Put it on after your shower and you are good for the day.  It does kinda sound like you have PUPP but it seems early for that.  My friend had it the last month of her pregnancy, hopefully I won't!  I already use everything perfume, dye free and can't stand the way benadryl makes me feel.  Good luck and I hope it gets better for you!
  • I'm loving my Palmer's stretch mark cream for the itch! my belly use to be itchy but i put this on everyday and it seems to stick around, althought it's dry to the touch, but when i shower i can feel it get slippery again. maybe this will help your itch, but yours does sound more serious than stretching skin itch.

good luck mama!

• Hi,

I dont want to scare you AT ALL but I would recommend going to get your blood work done. I got cholestasis when I was pregnant and it started just like your describing and gradually got worse... from my body, then an uncontrollable itch on my hands and feet!! It is kind of early if it is ICP, BUT i would just be on the safe side just in case so you can begin treatment. They need to test your liver enzymes and bile acid.

Hopefully I am wrong... but I went almost a month like that, changing everything I could think of, detergent, body washes etc... nothing really helped... Finally after a night of crying all night long bc I couldnt take it anymore I went in!

I will tell you right now, you will look this up and your stomach will turn. DON'T! As long as there is early treatment, you will be fine! Good luck with everything... There is also a group on here that is dedicated to ICP sufferes called "Cholestasis of Pregnancy" - I would recommend just reading some of there comments to see if your symptoms sound the same!

Good luck with everything!

• actually I was wrong - the group is on babycenter.com! Also, check out itchymoms.com!! Smile
  • if it's eczema related try putting plain organic yogurt on it...helps to sooth the itch and take away inflammation. coconut oil and shea butter are really good for skin issues.  nettles tea is a great blood purifier and it's really good for you when you're pregnant or not-has a lot of iron, calcium, vitamin c in it

i'm sorry you're suffering!  hopefully it clears up SOON!

• I've been itchy all summer. I finally went to the dermatologist and she thought it was just seasonal allergies. I've been taking Zantac and it's been helping. I wouldn't say I'm not itchy at all but I am MUCH better. 

She also gave me a steroid cream to help get rid of the rashing that had occured from my constant itching.

Good luck! 

• Hi.

Sorry to hear you are struggling with this.  I had terrible ithching my entire pregnancy but without a rash - mainly on my lower extremeties but it would keep me up all night.  I saw several derms for this and we were never found out what was causing it and figured it was just hormonal. The day i gave birth the itching stopped...

Def have your MD check your bile salts asap to rule it out as others as suggested. I used per my derm Sarna anti-inch cream and cerave and found them somewhat helpful.

Feel better and good luck

Alissa

• Call your Dr. There are pregnancy related things that can be causing this.  Since you have a rash it could be PUPPS. I have cholestasis of pregnancy and itch like crazy without a rash. I have scratched to the point of causing scars on myself. Depending on if you have one of these, they can help you!
  • Not to freak you out, but you could have a liver problem.  I had one with my first baby, it was called Intrahapadic colostasis (I'm sure the spelling is wrong).  You need to let your doctor know asap!

It feels like you have sandfleas biting you all over your body.

• This may not be a skin issue. If you are itchy other than just on your belly, hips or legs (where your skin is probably stretching) you may chat with your OB about your Iron levels or your Liver Enzymes. I have had two friends that have had horrid itching while pregnant, one of them had a pregnancy induced Liver issue and one had a VERY low iron & feradin (sp?) levels. They checked both on both of them because they said it's either one or the other.
  • If you notice your hands and feet to be the itchiest make sure you rule out a condition called cholestatsis.  I just gave birth a couple of weeks ago and I was itchy all over but especially on my hands and feet.  It turned out I had cholestasis, which is a very serious condition.  The day I was diagnosed they made me have an emergency c section (I was very close to my due date).  I did not have any rash to accompany the itch.  I figured the itchiness I was feeling was a normal part of my pregnancy and I waited a while to tell my doctor.  If it is to the point where you cant sleep I would call my doctor ASAP.  Good Luck.
  • I had this the last two weeks of my pregnancy with twins.  It started on my belly.  After the babies were born it was on my belly and arms.  My doctor thought it was a reaction to the pain meds.  It continued for the next two weeks getting worse every day.  Even the bottoms of my feet were ichy and I had a rash everywhere.  My doctor perscribed creams and did blood work..creams didnt work, blood work came back normal.  All of the sudden it went away.  Then a few weeks later it came back again.  Rash iching everything, then went away out of no where again.  I don't know what caused it and every once in a while I feel like it may be coming back then it seems to calm down again.  I don't think it is laundry soap or fabric softener, I have already been using free and clear for years.  The only things I can think of that could cause my break outs is too much sugar or stress.  I don't know if ether are it but I already use sulfate free bath products so I don't think those could be the problem.  A hot shower did seem to help and Earth's Best Oraganic Lavender Shampoo & Body Wash and Everyday Lotion or Calendula Extra Rich Therapy Creme seemed to calm things down a little also.  Good luck from one ichy momma to another.
  • I had the same problem for the last few months of my pregnancy. I also had really really dry skin and hair which was very unusual for me. I figured the baby was using up all my usual natural oils. So I ate a lot of avocado and olive oil and moisturized (with natural lotions & vitamin E oil) at least twice a day. It helped a little. It totally went away the day after I had my baby.
  • it may just be normal pregnancy itching but please check out itchymoms.com to rule out cholestasis. I had it in my pregnancy and it is uncommon and potentially fatal to your LO. It is intense itching that usually concentrates on your hands and feet but can be all over. It's a result of your gallbladder not properly fuctioning and removing bile.

It's very serious, IF it is cholestasis warm baths will only exacerbate the situation, your best bet is to limit your fat intake, take cool baths, and talk to your dr asap. I went to OB sick call and when i finally saw a midwife/ nurse she try to give me lotions and said take oatmeal baths, when i put my foot down and told her what i thought i had they finally did blood work and it DID have IHCP, Or intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. You're also at risk for pre term labor with this condition and it increases the risk of stillbirth. If you are diagnosed you will likely be induced before 36-37 weeks to keep your baby safer...  I hope you do not have this problem but wanted you to be aware, no one i knew had even heard of this condition when i was pregnant, i think it affects only about 1% of pregnant women.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"