Baby Names

The Aiden Phenomenon

This was already mentioned in another post, but in an effort to, hopefully, convince at least a few people not to follow the Aiden-rhymes trend . . .

According to the SSA 2009 Data, Jacob is the #1 Boy's Name; a total of 20858 baby boys were named Jacob last year, not including approximately 5000 Jakes, Jakobs, Jacobys and Jaycobs.

Also according to the SSA, last year Jayden was ranked #8 with 17,082 named baby boys and Aiden was ranked #12 with 15,846 named baby boys. But the real data is a bit more frightening.

Just in the Top 1000 names/spellings of last year there were 100,286 baby boys named with a variation of the name Aiden. Compare that to Jacob, with just 20858, or Isabella with 30,850. Shocking, right?

Even worse, here are the spellings: Aiden, Aidan, Ayden, Aden, Aaden, Aeden, Aydin, Aidyn, Aydan, Jayden, Jaden, Jaiden, Jaydon, Jaeden, Jadon, Jaydin, Jaydan, Jadyn, Jaidyn, Brayden, Braedon, Braden, Braydon, Braeden, Braiden, Bradyn, Braidon, Hayden, Haiden, Haeden, Kaden, Caden, Kayden, Cayden, Kaiden, Caiden, Kadin, Kaeden, Kadyn, Zayden, Zaiden, Zaidan, and Raiden.

And, hidden among those gems, I found another growing trend, 6127 baby boys named something that rhymes with Waylon, including Jaylen, Braylon (!!), Braylen (!?), Jaylon, Jaylin, Daylin, Daylon, Caylon, and Saylon (yep, like "sailin' ").  

Re: The Aiden Phenomenon

• Crazy, huh?  I did like Aidan and Braden at one point, but they're ruined now. 
    imageBabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's so annoying, because Aidan really is a good name. Wish I could use it, but there's no way now.

I know a baby girl named Braylen. I've never known of one before. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I am not a fan of any names mentioned. I don't get the appeal of Aidan or any variation. 
  • Wow! I knew I was sick of those names for a reason! haha

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • YUCK!  I don't like any of those!!!!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's really interesting. I'm not considering any Aiden or Aiden-like names myself, but thanks for the information!

By the way, is Aiden the correct spelling? Spell check wants to change it to Aidan. 

• I personally know an Aaden, Jayden, Braden, Braelyn, Jaylan, Caeden, and a few Caden's. I used to love Caden, now it's ruined. Shame.
    BFP: 3/28/2010 Beta #1-120, Beta #2-590 EDD: 12/7/2011 HB: 109 BPM on 4/15 HB: 167 BPM on 5/13! 7/18 IT'S A BOY!
    "For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me the petition which I asked of him." 1 Samuel 1:27
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5
  • Ugh, I hate all of these names, especially the ones that end in -yn.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• imageLasoza:

That's really interesting. I'm not considering any Aiden or Aiden-like names myself, but thanks for the information!

By the way, is Aiden the correct spelling? Spell check wants to change it to Aidan. 

I believe Aidan is the original anglicized spelling from the Irish name Aodhan. Aiden is a variation of it. 

• imageLasoza:

That's really interesting. I'm not considering any Aiden or Aiden-like names myself, but thanks for the information!

Aidan is the "correct" spelling. Personally, I think the correct spelling should be Aiden, though, and when I first encountered this name (when I was about ten and had a boy in my class by this name) it was spelled Aiden, so it has stuck for me. I think most people will accept either Aiden or Aidan as correct, anything else is pretty ludicrous, though.

• I grew up with a very attractive Hayden and planned 'back in the day' to try to convince a SO to use it some day. Now I don't dare go near the trend and even if I wanted to I already have relatives with a Caden and Braden Confused
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't realize you'd posted this when I posted an article about the growing trend, and was shocked to see what you'd complied too!

All the -den's will be the Jennifers of our era :P 

• imageMommyNoelle:

I didn't realize you'd posted this when I posted an article about the growing trend, and was shocked to see what you'd complied too!

All the -den's will be the Jennifers of our era :P 

This is completely off topic, but I LOVE your LO's names. Cute and classy :) 

BFP: 3/28/2010 Beta #1-120, Beta #2-590 EDD: 12/7/2011 HB: 109 BPM on 4/15 HB: 167 BPM on 5/13! 7/18 IT'S A BOY!
    "For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me the petition which I asked of him." 1 Samuel 1:27
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5
  • I actually do love the name aiden...more for a middle name, because I like the meaning "little fiery one"...don't like that it has become too trendy :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"