3rd Trimester

Q for those who are full term or around the 36 wk mark

My DH and IL's have been pressuring me to go away at the end of September to Nascar. The tickets were purchased last September before we found out I was pregnant (obviously), but ever since I found out I've been telling them that I don't feel comfortable with going.

I'll be 36 weeks along, driving over 10 hours away from home, in another country (we're Canadian), sitting on a metal bench all day without back support in the sun/heat with a long walk to the bathroom up and down the stands, etc. I just don't see this as being a wise thing to do. 

However, I've never been pregnant before... so am I overreacting? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
- Robert Munsch

Re: Q for those who are full term or around the 36 wk mark

• I would NOT want to do that myself. However, I guess it just depends on how you are feeling at that time and if you are comfortable with it. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family
  • AML84AML84 member
    not at all. I wouldn't go that far away this late in the game, personally.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm only 33 weeks pregnant but still wouldn't go. I've heard that becoming overheated can cause pre-term labor, so I wouldn't chance it.

Plus that 10 hr car ride would be like hell! My dr. doesn't recommend me traveling more than an hour away after 35 weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would not be up for that right now... no way
  • Not in my opinion.  I'm 37 weeks on Monday and I opted out of a trip down the road to a neighbors house tonight because we'd be out in the heat and the chairs are terribly uncomfortable.  Bring on the recliner!!  Anyway, I think not going would be a wise decision especially if you're that far away from the hospital - some babies, even 1st ones do come early you know!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm lurking on 3rd tri due to boredom will LO sleeps...

Everyone is different at the end, but there is no way I would have tolerated a 10 hour car ride!! that's insane.  And I felt really good until right until 40 weeks... 

• I personally think if you discuss your plans with your dr it will be a non-issue because no way would my doctor have let me do that even before I was high-risk.

That would just be uncomfortable for me AND how does it work if you do go into premature labor.  Do you have travel or medical insurance that will cover you down here?

• i dont think its wise.. especially in another country. but then it all depends how you feel. right now i would NOT sit in a car for 10 hours.
    i made a 14 drive at 32 weeks.. i wanted to die...honestly.
  • My OB nixed all of my OOT plans for after 28 weeks, I've made short trips(2 1/2-3hrs) against his advice and even driving that short of a distance was very uncomfortable and I dealt with long nights of non stop braxton hicks afterwards. This sounds WAY excessive. At 36 weeks, you will NOT feel like doing any of this!
  • Um ask your ob on their travel restrictions.

Im not allowed an hour outside of the hospital at 36 weeks +

Personally.. no I wouldn't go, and I would sell both tickets.

4-7-11 - Natural MC @ 4w5d 6-27-11- MC @ 5w6dPgAL/PAL WelcomeDD#1- 8/20/2010DD#2- 6/21/2012EDD #3~ 5/1/2014 ~ Team Green
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My doctor would not let me travel at 35 1/2 weeks up north (4 hours away). So, I would say no.
  • I definitely wouldn't go. First of all I would be miserable the entire time. Secondly my dr wouldn't even let me travel past 36 wks, especially to go 10 hrs from home!
  • CamFamCamFam member

You'd have to check with your doctor about travel that late. Mine is ok with travel by car as long as a hospital is close by, but for comfort reasons, I would not be super excited to go.

The heat alone gets intense, my back hurts unless I support it and you'd need to stay hydrated which means more trips to the bathroom. If you aren't excited about it now, you probably won't be excited about it later.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Ditto to most responses...talk to your OB!  I My OB wouldn't allow travel over an hour away at 36 weeks and at 32 weeks I could only go 4 hours away!

Besides, for me, it would be waaaayy to much!  Too long of a car ride and too uncomfortable...

• There is no way I would go that far away from home (hospital/Dr), nor would I want to sit in bleachers.  I also absolutely hate racing so wouldn't go at 20 weeks either LOL.
  • Talk to your doctor about it, but I personally wouldn't go. Recently, I was in the car for just 4 hours traveling to Dallas and by the time we got there, I was in the worst mood and my feet were swollen. I think any pregnant woman would be miserable if they went on a 10 hour drive to sit in the heat. Just my thoughts though...
  • ames71ames71 member
    That sounds miserable to me and I've had a pretty easy pregnancy. 

• Not to mention the probably swelling.......no way in hell would I go, your back is going to be a super hot mess sitting on that metal bench also.  Politely decline!!
    Snuggling after a nap! Claira 2 yrs and Sophia 11 months Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No way - I would normally be going to the race this weekend in Indy but at 37 weeks pregnant I have zero desire to be sitting in the sun at a race.  Heat index is 100+ in our area and I would guess Indy too, so I'm sitting out this year!
  • I have to agree with everyone else- I'm not sure your OB would allow you to go that far away. I'm not high risk and for the last couple of weeks I haven't been able to go further than 2 hours away..
  • Im not even 36w and I still wouldnt go.. HECK NO..

That is a trip I would have made at the beginning of 2nd tri. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • MrsSRMrsSR member

Heck no! There is NO way I'd go.

Just the car ride alone would kill me.

• No way!    I would be miserable if I had to go thru that right now.   Only thing I want to do is sit in AC w/ my feet up.   

imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Hell no. That sounds like torture to me right now, and not just because I dont like nascar but because I would be really uncomfortable, hot, grumpy. It would suck for everyone involved. I also would not travel to Canada at this point in my pregnancy so I cant imagine a Canadian wanting to travel to the US.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks everyone -- I'm totally with you on this one. I'm more than slightly peeved that my DH and MIL would even assume I'd be up to this kind of trip....

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • KRB8KRB8 member

I would definitely not go. The ride is too long and you will likely swell even more. Plus, you do not want to be that far away from your preferred hospital unless it's absolutely necessary. In my opinion, Nascar is not it.

I would recommend you not going.

• The driving and the metal bench both sound like complete torture. I would not want to do that. I think it IS doable, but definitely not something I would WANT to do.
    imageimage
  • I agree with every other person that has replied - hell no!  And I LOVE nascar!  That is a recipe for disaster, starting with a 10 hour road trip.  You'd have to stop every 1 - 2 hours to stretch your legs and walk around.  You'd likely be very, very uncomfortable sitting for so long.  You'll be 10 hours away from your doctor, and out of the country so who knows about insurance if you have any issues.  To top it off you're at really, REALLY high risk for dehydration which can lead directly to preterm labor.  I'm all for having fun and doing as much as you can for as long as you can, but to even consider this trip is crazy.  Send them off with your blessing, and enjoy the time to yourself! 

• I mean, if your OB oks it, I guess...

fwiw, ILs splurged on two huge beach front houses this year at the end of August -- beach trips with them are a blast! I'll be 36-37 weeks during the trip and I opted out for two reasons: I personally felt uncomfortable traveling at that point and I don't want to take any time off that I could be using for maternity leave.

I gave DH my blessing to go, but he's decided not to.

Your ILs should be understanding of this -- I don't think it would be at all enjoyable for you. I broke down at a local baseball game not 20 minutes into  the game last week. Thank god I snuck into the a/c of the stadium restaurant!

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  •  Not at all!! I would NOT be going no matter what they said.  You would be miserable the whole time.
  • I wouldn't risk it. I let my company know I wouldn't be traveling after 34 weeks. Not only will you be miserable and swollen with all of that sitting in the car, but the heat could put you into labor prematurely. AND I wouldn't want to deal with possibly giving birth in another country. I'm Canadian and American (dual citizenship), and there's no way I would do what you described. It would be very messy to process afterward when it comes to billing, citizenship, etc. I won't be traveling more than an hour or so away from now on, because there is no way I want to give bith in an unfamiliar hospital, with an OB I don't know and who isn't familiar with my wishes, etc. Also, can you imagine not having any of your stuff with you and then having to do a 10-hour car trip with the baby AND deal with getting the baby through the border?? I'm assuming you'd have to go to the nearest Canadian embassy (which can be hard to find) ahead of going through the border.
  • I would never go that far away from home that close to being due.  I almost didn't go the 3 hours to Christmas with the in-laws at 35 weeks pregnant.  That drive was almost unbearable.
  • At 37 weeks my doctor told me to stay within a few hours of home...so no, I wouldn't go that far. It's not worth the risk, esp with a first pregnancy. Chances are you'll go full term, but who knows?
  • JenOSUJenOSU member

We did an 8.5 hour drive when I was 31 weeks.  It became quite uncomfortable to be in the car that long.  I can't imagine it now.

Also, my doctor didn't want me more than an hour from the hospital by 36 weeks, so I don't think traveling 10 hours away to a different country would be advisable.

We had to bow out of a beach vacation that was planned before I was pregnant.  Hopefully your family would understand that circumstances have changed for you.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
     (born at 35 weeks due to pre-eclampsia)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Olivia Claire born sleeping at 17 weeks (measuring 16) October 5, 2014
    MC 8/06 at 5w 3d
    MC 7/27/09 at 7w 2d
    MMC 12/2/11 discovered at 7w 6d
    ruptured ectopic (loss of right tube) 6/27/13 at 6.5 weeks

• I had a pretty uneventful pregnancy and then was put on bedrest at 35 wks so my vote is NO.  Talk with your doc about this, I'm guessing the doc will also say that a 10 hr trip at 36 wks is not a wise thing to do. 

Send DH with a buddy.  

• Heck no it's Nascar.... I wouldn't go if it was next door.
    imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • 1) My OB says no travel farther than an hour from home/hospital after 36 weeks.

2) HECK NO... A 10 hour car ride sounds like absolute hell, pregnant or not.. and sitting in bleachers for hours?  Yeah, not happening.  I can hardly get comfortable on a couch. 

• Oh my goodness no you are not overreacting!  I would totally not go... especially being over 36 weeks and never being pregnant before.  You don't know if you're going to be early or not with your delivery.
    BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • No chance I'd survive that car ride at this stage of the game.  Honestly, I wouldn't drive anywhere beyond an hour away, especially if I'd just end up uncomfortable on the bench seating all day once I got there.
  • I wouldn't. The drive alone will make you sore and uncomfortable, and then sitting in heat on an uncomfortable bench will make you feel worse. You'll be walking up and down those stands a lot to get to the bathrooms too.

I say if you're not comfortable with the idea, I wouldn't go.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP/Labor/Everything Buddy: Papetvet/Erpetdoc
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"