Military Families

NC Ladies: Help!

H is PCSing to New River in September. We just found out on Monday (yay!). 

He plans on staying off base until I move there next spring.

Any recs on places to stay away from and places to go? We're not looking for anything uber luxurious, just some place he won't get mugged or get car jacked. lol

TIA! 

5/100
"So if you decide to date the guy from Applebees instead will your new SN be "mypearlshisapron?" Your new sig can be "putting the ho in nachos.""- DNBeach12
PersonalMilestone

Re: NC Ladies: Help!

• My hubby is at Camp Lejeune so I somewhat know about around here. I personally don't like Jacksonville and prefer the Topsail Island/Sneads Ferry/Holly Ridge area. They are small and generally quiet. It's approx. 30-40 minute drive from those areas to New River, but I think, personally, the peacefuiness is worth it.
  • oops...I ment peacefulness.

https://www.accessthebeach.com/   ,   https://www.century21topsail.com/ ,   https://www.seashorerealtync.com/  ,  https://www.cbcoastline.com/    

Those are a few sights for realtors in the areas I suggested. I have rented from two and know the owner of another, so I know they are good people. Hope this helps :)

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you! 

I'll go ahead and look around in those locations.

Thanks again, I appreciate it. :) 

5/100
    "So if you decide to date the guy from Applebees instead will your new SN be "mypearlshisapron?" Your new sig can be "putting the ho in nachos.""- DNBeach12
    PersonalMilestone
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imageShana419:
    I'm still learning the area, but I know some people who live in Richlands and they love it.  It's not far from New River.  As far as Jacksonville, there are some areas that are ok and some that really suck.  Do you know if you'll be able to make a trip to look at houses?  We found that we would come across a house we liked, but the neighborhood was crappy.  That sort of thing.  If you can't make a trip, let me know--I can always drive through the area for you!

Richlands is a lot further then Jacksonville. It's at least a 20 minute ride into Jville, then there is the morning gate traffic. It is a really nice area though, perfect for families and if you don't mind the commute.

We lived in Topsail from Oct 09 to May 10. Most year round places there are very expensive and BAH will not even begin to cover rent, much less utilities if they aren't included. We lived at an off-seasonal vacation rental until our house on base was available. It was a great deal, we paid $950 a month for everything. It was a 2 br/2 ba apartment. Are you guys planning on living on base after you join him here? If so, you definitely want him to look into the housing lists now if you are going to live in the base housing by Lejeune. We waited 10 months for our house!

• I didn't mean for my above post about Richlands to come across biitchy! I reread it after and it did a little bit, sorry!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lol, that is true! It is closer to New River then to Lejeune, but still is about a 15-20 minute drive, I know lots of people who do it though, so it is do-able.

I've always wondered how housing works for New River? I know a few girls whose husbands work over there but live in TT or Midway, my guess is by rank? But, someone also told me only Officers get to actually live on New River. Anyone know?

• Here's a link to the housing management office that manages in our area (Cherry Point, New River, etc.):

https://www.atlanticmcc.com/communities  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I live in Richlands, there are neighborhoods all around, and it's about a 10-15 minute drive to the front gate of New River.
  • Thanks ladies. 

Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be going out there before he's supposed to check in. I think he *might* be able to stay in the barracks while he finds a place, though, but we're still looking into that, along with geo-bachelor barracks (anyone know anything about that @ NR?). I won't even be out there until Christmas, if even then. :/

We were planning on moving on base when I get there, so I'll have him look into housing ASAP when he gets there. I won't be going until at least May, so we do have some time, fortunately.  

Thanks again, ladies! 

5/100
    PersonalMilestone
  • My hubby is at Camp Lejeune and we live at the resever at jacksonville commons we like it a lot however it is pretty pricey so we will be moving on base when baby comes bc we cant afford a two bedroom here. And I have heard bad things about New River area so you might want to stear clear of there, Jacksonville to me is kinda tricky bc there are so many parts that are not where we would live to live and its not like its just one side of it either its very weird. Some parts of Piney Green Rd have some nice houses, we were going ot look intorthe town of Hubert to rent a house out there and its about 30 mins. hope that helps!
  • NR base housing isn't that great to tell you the truth. My husband is on NR, and we looked at their housing. Its very out dated, but they are slowly in the process of updating it. We first rented off base at Countywood Apartments, run by ABA Rentals. They were nice for their price. And honestly once you move out, you may want to think about just buying. Houses in this area aren't that expensive. We bought a brand new, 2 bd. 1.5 bt. for 115,000 and its a huge corner lot. They also do all of the outdoors care (lawn mowing, shoveling, plowing, etc.) BAH did cover all of our expenses at Countrywood and it also covers all of our expenses here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"