Babies: 9 - 12 Months

How much would you pay someone to build this? PIP

The woman I babysit for asked my husband if he would build them a playhouse like the one he built for us for their kids.  They are going to pay him and we are not sure how much he should charge.  I am pretty close to the family, I obviously love the kids like my own, but he is not close to them (they are dropped off and picked up when he is at work).  I know it is A LOT of work and it is sometimes well over 100 degrees here in Texas.  I think he should charge less since they are close to me, he thinks because it is a ton of work he should charge more than what I was thinking but a lot less than if it was a stranger.  What would you pay a friend to build this playhouse?

Supplies run about $1000, they want the playhouse about a foot taller and a different slide.  They do not want the smaller landing/bridge, but pretty much everything else (swings,playhouse,slide,second floor, rockwall,steps etc...) He would have to change up his design some to accommodate them.

Re: How much would you pay someone to build this? PIP

• OK deleted b/c I missed the part about $1000 in supplies. 

How many hours would it take YH to build it? I'm thinking like 50-60? I'd say he should be paid at least $500 if you know them pretty well to be nice (although that seems low) and probably closer to $1000 or so, that is a lot of work. I could be way off though. 

• well, we have one similar to that we bought. It was 250 full price when we got it.

but i am really impressed by your husbands handiwork.

edit* i forgot a 0. that was supposed to be 2500

• Loading the player...
  • $2,000
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageoboechick7:

well, we have one similar to that we bought. It was 250 full price when we got it.

You only paid $250 for that, supplies alone for H to build ours were over $1000.  How did you get it so cheap?

• imagesaraprice:
    imageoboechick7:

well, we have one similar to that we bought. It was 250 full price when we got it.

You only paid $250 for that, supplies alone for H to build ours were over $1000.  How did you get it so cheap?

Yeah I'm curious about that too? Is it real wood? Even walmart.com has a large wooden one listed for $1500. 

• imageryry1977:
    $2,000

H wants to charge around $1000, I wanted him to charge around $500 I am close to them.  I would be his helper so I would be doing about half of the work, but would give him the money.  

• no, i'm sorry that was 2500 i can't type today
  • To buy something like that around here it would run you $1500-$2000 easy. Are they buying the supplies or are you guys and how long of a job is it?

I am curious where the PP got it for $250? You can't even get a basic swing set for that.

• imageoboechick7:

edit* i forgot a 0. that was supposed to be 2500

Gotcha, that sounds better, I was gonna say you got a great steal at $250

• imagesaraprice:

imageryry1977:
    $2,000

H wants to charge around $1000, I wanted him to charge around $500 I am close to them.  I would be his helper so I would be doing about half of the work, but would give him the money.  

See I originially thought around $750 but if it's a good friend maybe $500.

• imagejenna0627:

To buy something like that around here it would run you $1500-$2000 easy. Are they buying the supplies or are you guys and how long of a job is it?

I am curious where the PP got it for $250? You can't even get a basic swing set for that.

When he built  ours it took about a month working on it, around 50 hours total (maybe a little more).  We would go and get the supplies, of course we would just give them the Home Depot receipt for that and they would pay it back.  They need it built by September 10th.

• sjpsjp member
    I would say 1000 for the labor--here in So Cal it would be closer to 1500 for the labor plus materials
    BFP#1 twins--m/c Baby B-- DC#1 DS 03/22/05 BFP#2 m/c 2006 BFP#3/DC#2 DD 10/22/09 BFP #4! EDD 9/15/12 at 9 dpo BabyFruit Ticker
  • Since it's a friend I would say $750 for the labor. It's cheaper than they would get from anyone else but it's still a decent amount for your labor and time.
  • I think $1000 plus supplies would be fair. If she wasn't close to you, I think $2000 would be a good price. That thing looks awesome!
  • imageryry1977:
    $2,000

This.  Or price wooden play sets in your area.

• Apart from the material, 500 to 1000$

• RNOHIORNOHIO member

I would say $2000.  That's a lot of work for you and your DH.

$1000 for materials and $1000 for labor

• I would say with the supplies and labour probably $1500. It's really nice!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image Visit The Nest!
  • Actually I would pay 1000$ to whoever to finish the deck DH started to build last year. Material is there and half of the deck is ready, but not finished. Tomorrow we will have a BBQ and we could have eaten in the deck, now we have to eat in the house, againAngry
  • I would charge for the materials plus $10 per hour for the labor, whatever that works out to be.
  • imageRNOHIO:

I agree with this 100% Your husband has some talent!
    Me: 30, DOR with a FSH of 12.5
    DH: 31, no issues
    4-6/2012 100mg of Clomid + trigger + IUI/TI = BFN
    7/2012 150mg of Gonal-f + trigger + IUI = BFN
    8/2012 Surprise unmedicated BFP!! Due May 8, 2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just talked to her and she said that there is no way they could pay $1000, maybe $500, maybe.  I think they were thinking closer to like $250 for labor, but I am not sure.
  • $2500.

$30 per hour for labor (50 hours labor) - $1500

Parts - $1000

That is a LOT of work...and yes, they could buy one from Costco or wherever but this one is custom built with what THEY want...it's not something they will find at Costco or any other store.  

And if they weren't friends, I would charge more.  The really  nice wooden structures like that (Rainbow brand for example) are SUPER expensive....and they have factories or whatever to help create these structures.  Building one yourself is a whole different story.

• imagesaraprice:
    I just talked to her and she said that there is no way they could pay $1000, maybe $500, maybe.  I think they were thinking closer to like $250 for labor, but I am not sure.

NFW!  That is SO much work!  $250 for 50 hours of work is  $5/hr for labor!  That's ridiculous! 

• My husband would do it for cheap, but I can totally understand why your husband doesn't want to.  That has to be a LOT of work.

Maybe her husband can help your husband build it, which saves time and would help out your husband? 

• imageBrooke208:

My husband would do it for cheap, but I can totally understand why your husband doesn't want to.  That has to be a LOT of work.

Maybe her husband can help your husband build it, which saves time and would help out your husband? 

She said he could help, but I think that it would actually be harder on H if he did (he's more electronically inclined if you get my drift).  I helped some on ours and know what to do so it would be easier for me to help than her H.

• If your H wants to charge 1000$ for labor then that's what he should charge. He's the one doing the work, right? 

I think 250$ is insane. Maybe they can work something out with your H where he comes over in his spare time with no rush to finish the project. Or he can just do the basic setup and they can attach the toys and paint/seal it themselves, etc.

• Wow! That is awesome that your DH made that!

We just researched swing sets similar to that. For QUALITY ones (which what your DH probably built), something like that runs a minimum of $3000. You can get smaller ones at Costco for $1500 but the weight limit on the swings is 50lbs. All the Rainbow, etc.. nice quality sets that have the higher weight limits and are made of quality wood that isn't going to rot out in a few years start at $3000.

That said, I would charge supplies + $500ish. I don't know how much time that would take him (sorry if you answered that above?). I guess balance it on amount of time and what you think is fair.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • That is a gorgeous playhouse! I think you should maybe find a comparable one at an online site, then maybe knock off a little bit. Will the friend's husband be helping at all? $1000 for the labor seems fair.

Also, I know this is ridiculous, but you might want to think about what would happen if one of their kids got hurt on it - would they hold your DH responsible? You probably want some kind of written contract in case that happens.

Another thing - your DH seems very talented, so make sure you take some pics in case he wants to make this a side business for later on!

• imagesaraprice:
    imageBrooke208:

My husband would do it for cheap, but I can totally understand why your husband doesn't want to.  That has to be a LOT of work.

She said he could help, but I think that it would actually be harder on H if he did (he's more electronically inclined if you get my drift).  I helped some on ours and know what to do so it would be easier for me to help than her H.

Yeah that totally makes sense.

Well don't let him do it too cheap.  If they can't afford it, that's not your fault or your husband's fault, KWIM?  Decide on a fair price and if they can't do it, I would just tell them that.  People sometimes don't realize the amount of time and work that is put into creating things like that.

I love it, BTW!  Your husband rocks!

• imagegwenypher7:

That is a gorgeous playhouse! I think you should maybe find a comparable one at an online site, then maybe knock off a little bit. Will the friend's husband be helping at all? $1000 for the labor seems fair.

Also, I know this is ridiculous, but you might want to think about what would happen if one of their kids got hurt on it - would they hold your DH responsible? You probably want some kind of written contract in case that happens.

Another thing - your DH seems very talented, so make sure you take some pics in case he wants to make this a side business for later on!

He and I would be building it.  I am not too worried about the liability of it. H is very talented with this kind of stuff, I think he should do this as a business but he said it is a lot of work.

• $250 in labor is definitely insane.  As someone said they are getting a custom made playset.  My husband is a contractor on the side and he charges $35/hour for labor and that is cheap compared to many.

• I would research the going hourly rate for carpenters in your area and do it for slightly less than that + material.  Or making it a round number right off the bat would be fine as long as its high enough.  That is a lot of time that your DH could be spending on other things so he should definitely be compensated appropriately.

I think $1000 + material would be reasonable.

They can't get anything like that anywhere else for less than $3000.  So if they aren't willing to pay your DH around $2000 for it, I wouldn't do it at all.

Anything lower would just be them taking advantage of him IMO.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • $250? Does she think it comes in a kit? (even something like that would take MH & I like a whole week to figure out). 
    Insane. I wouldn't do it for too cheap b/c it could create some hard feelings b/w all of you & your husband deserves to be paid something reasonable for all that work & sucha  great product.
  • imageRNOHIO:

This :) And I'd ask for 1/2 up front!

• sjpsjp member

imagesaraprice:
    I just talked to her and she said that there is no way they could pay $1000, maybe $500, maybe.  I think they were thinking closer to like $250 for labor, but I am not sure.

No way would 250 be even close to worth it for your DH even for family!

That amounts to $5 per hour--that time IMO would be better spent with the family!

BFP#1 twins--m/c Baby B-- DC#1 DS 03/22/05 BFP#2 m/c 2006 BFP#3/DC#2 DD 10/22/09 BFP #4! EDD 9/15/12 at 9 dpo BabyFruit Ticker
  • sjpsjp member
    imagesaraprice:
  • imageanarivera:
    Actually I would pay 1000$ to whoever to finish the deck DH started to build last year. Material is there and half of the deck is ready, but not finished. Tomorrow we will have a BBQ and we could have eaten in the deck, now we have to eat in the house, againAngry

OMG. Are you and I married to the same man? My husband has a kazillion unfinished projects and it drives me MAD! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • imagesjp:

imagesaraprice:

That amounts to $5 per hour--that time IMO would be better spent with the family!

no kidding,
    does she know how many hours it would take your husband?  $250 is offensive. 

• sjpsjp member
    imagegumiberg:
    imagesjp:

imagesaraprice:

no kidding,
    does she know how many hours it would take your husband?  $250 is offensive. 

agreed I would be offended at the suggestion of $250 for labor!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"