Babies: 3 - 6 Months

How often does your 3 month old sleep?

My son is not on a schedule of any kind! Some days he takes a really long morning nap and two shorter naps, and other days he seems to sleep all day long. Luckily he is sleeping through the night (last night was from 7:30pm-5:30am with no wakeups), but I can't seem to figure out how much he should be sleeping. I've heard they should have 3 naps with each nap being about 2 hours. This almost NEVER happens. Anyone else having napping problems?
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: How often does your 3 month old sleep?

• Yes!  DS sleeps from around 8 or 8:30 pm until 7 am....but naps are another story....I have read alot on here about how at this age they can really only be awake for 1hr 45mins max and then need a nap.....  I have also read alot of people that just have scheduled naps, like 2-3 a day.....I have no clue which is right, probably wahtever works for your LO.  I can't get anythign to work for mine :)

I have found that he IS tired after 1hr 45 mins, so I can get him to fall asleep very quickly, howver, staying asleep is an issue, we typically can get about 30 mins each time from him, once a day he MIGHT take a 2 hour nap, but that is rare!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's something like 13 to 15 hours a day in any permutation.  DS sleeps from 8:30 to 2/3 am and then until between 7:30 and 9 am.  He usually takes some kind of morning nap between 45 minutes and 3 hours.  His morning nap dictates whether he will take one or two 1-ish hour naps in the afternoon/early evening.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Well...as a sleep deprived mommy to a 3 1/2 month old...I cannot tell you how much they should be sleeping!  My DS usually falls asleep between 1 and 2 am...some nights...he is up until 3 or 4, but this is lessening.  He wakes about 8 or 9am (so, he is getting 7-8 hours at night).  If I am lucky he will take a 1-2 hour nap during the day...again, if I am LUCKY!  He has a tendency to nap in little bits while on the breast, so I have been trying to wake him when this happens, so he will be full and take a nap. 
  • DS is on his third nap of the day right now.  His naps generally last anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours.  Basically he wakes up, we play for a few minutes, he eats, we play some more, and then, an hour and a half after he first woke up, he's wanting to sleep again.  He takes 4 naps a day if we stay home all day. 

ETA:  He sleeps 8-10 hours at night without waking.

image image
  • Have you tried reading the book Becoming Babywise??  I was having issues with my little one sleeping and I read it when he was about 3 months old and a month later things are going a lot better...  I don't follow the schedule they suggest very strictly but i still learned many things about how my baby should be sleeping.  Just a suggestion. Smile
  • DS also just went down for his 3rd nap of the day.  It was right at 1hr 15mins since he woke that I put him in his crib.  It took us 5 minutes to get him drowsy.  It'll take upto 20mins for him to fall asleep, sometimes less.  He will sleep for 1.5 - 2 hrs.  Around 45mins into his nap he will fuss and maybe cry a bit.  I'll give him 10mins (not of straight crying) and hes usually back into a deep sleep.  The majority of time I have to wake him to eat.  At night he sleeps 12hrs.  I've heard babies this age need 15 - 18hrs of sleep.  This evening he will probably take a short cat nap in his swing or in my arms before we start getting ready for bed around 6p.

HTH!

• I am sooo jealous of all of you whose 3-month-old sleeps through the night. How do you do it??  I shouldn't complain because at least mine sleeps 5.5 hrs wakes to feed and goes right back to sleep for another 4 hours. She used to wake up and want to party at 3 in the morning. She naps 3-4 times a day. Sometimes they're short cat naps (20-30 minutes), and sometimes they're 1.5 hours long. But, man! She hates falling asleep. The seahorse helps a little, but the darn thing only stays on for like 5 minutes before turning off. And then she wakes up! I hope it gets better soon--especially sleeping through the night.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJenelle101:

I am sooo jealous of all of you whose 3-month-old sleeps through the night. How do you do it??  I shouldn't complain because at least mine sleeps 5.5 hrs wakes to feed and goes right back to sleep for another 4 hours. She used to wake up and want to party at 3 in the morning. She naps 3-4 times a day. Sometimes they're short cat naps (20-30 minutes), and sometimes they're 1.5 hours long. But, man! She hates falling asleep. The seahorse helps a little, but the darn thing only stays on for like 5 minutes before turning off. And then she wakes up! I hope it gets better soon--especially sleeping through the night.

I think I owe DS sttn for a couple things - making sure hes getting plenty to eat during the day, adding a dreamfeed, and then slowly decreasing the amt I gave at the motn feeding.  After he went once without the motn feeding - I then if he woke I'd give him his paci & comfort him.  It only took a few days and now he does great :)

• I just started noticing a pattern in my 12 week LO's sleep. He sleeps 10-12 hours a night, going down between 7:00-8:00 and not waking until 5:30-6:30, then will sleep until about 8:00am. He will play for about 1.5 hr. and is ready for a morning nap. He will take a good 2 hr nap and then be uo for about 2 hours and then go down for a second nap (this one is a toughie because he is very clearly tired and will fight the nap. He usually sleeps from about 3:00-5:00 and then is up until bedtime.

I just finished reading Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy child. It helped me tremendously. It seemed like naps got better once he started STTN!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • According to the Sears Baby Book 3-6 month olds need 14-16 hours of sleep a day.

DD usually takes one long nap in the afternoon (3 hours). If she takes any other naps they're usually no more than a half hour. On a good night she'll go to sleep around 9 and be up to eat around 2 or 3 for an hour before going back to sleep until 6 or 7. At that point if I bring her into bed with us and nurse her there she'll sleep until 8.  Unfortunately she's been up much more frequently lately and is having a difficult time staying asleep.

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS sleeps 8:30pm-5:30am, 6:30-8am, 10-11am, 2-2:30pm, 4-5pm. Obviously, this is not exact but roughly that's how much he sleeps... so 13 hours total.

• I have my DD on a schedule with napping and feeding.  She takes 4 naps a day, staying up for 90 minutes between each nap, and eats every 3 hours.  Of course if she naps a bit longer than usual, I don't wake her, I just feed her when she wakes up and I adjust the rest of the days naps and feedings. She usually goes to bed at 7 and STTN until 6 am.
  • wow lots of babies are STTN! LO goes down around 9-10 and sleeps until 3-4 about 6 hours then he gets up to eat and goes back down until usually DH's alarm clock goes off at 7am but if for some reason he is still sleepy he'll sometimes sleep up to 9am! then he's up in the morning for maybe 2 hours and he's down for his morning nap, usually 30-1 hour then he's up for another 2-3 hours and he's back down for his afternoon nap of 30-1 hour. I believe he takes at least 1 or 2 naps in the late afternoon/evening with DH but I work 2nd so I am not 100% on that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"