Baby Names

Collins for a girl?

Hi all--

My SO is from Fort Collins, CO and absolutely loves it there. We are living on the east coast right now (where I'm from)...and we were discussing the name Collins for a girl. At first, I hated it...but since the Blindside had a girl named Collins it's starting to grow on me. Thoughts? What if we moved back there--tacky to have a Collins in Fort Collins?

Re: Collins for a girl?

• coktcokt member
    I live near FoCo, so that is the first thing I think of when I hear the name. When I saw Blindside I didn't understand what the girl's name was until they had said it like 17 times. It is definitely different.?
  • NMS.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Loading the player...
  • I don't like it.  What about as a MN?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think I would like it better without the "s" on the end. I really don't like names that end with an "s".

June 2010-Lap
    b2b Injectable IUI #1 7/25/10 & 7/26/10 = BFP beta 14dpIUI = 133 MC 9/14 at 9 weeks
    b2b Injectable IUI #2 12/5/10 & 12/6/10 = BFN
    IVF #1 ER 3/28/11 ET 3 embryos 3/31/11= BFN
    b2b Injectable IUI#3 6/28/11 & 6/29/11 = BFN
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome :)

Submitted Adoption Application on 6/1/2011
    Homestudy 7/19/2011
    IVF#2 CX due to Adoption Match
    We were blessed with our daughter through the gift of adoption
    IVF #2.1 ET 2 embryos 2/14/13 7 frostiesLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I just really don't like it, especially for a girl.

• Ehh...neither like or dislike. It IS different, though.
  • I think it would make a great mn.
    mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
  • Horrible.

Colleen, maybe. and Collin is a boy's name. 

Married my best friend on 5/14/05
    Three Girls: Bits 2/08  Biscuit 10/09 & Sweet Chuck 2/12
    One Favorite son: Suishy Smalls 6/14
    And another Princess coming 7/16
  • I don't hate it. I knew a girl in college named Collins and she was super cute. I am not really sure it's my style, but you could do a lot worse.
    Induction of mo/di twin boys scheduled for 2/24! Pregnancy Ticker}
  • I actually like it and typically it's NMS.  I say if you like it and it's growing on you, go fort it.  A friend named her son Collins because it's her maiden name.  But I like that it's not very common.  Especially for a girl. 
  • It sounds kind of preppy.  Like pp, I thought of Colleen as a similar name.
  • I like it. You're not naming her Ft. Collins, so I think that wouldn't be a big deal.
  • I LOVE IT!  Go for it!  Yes  

I do like different names, that are still easy to spell and pronounce.  You fit that completely.

(I'm glad everyone said The Blind Side because I forgot where I had heard it.)

• I don't like it for a boy or a girl. I would think you were a huge Phil Collins fan if I heard this name.
  • You could use it as a MN and call her that- I know a girl whose NN is collins since that's her last name- and it works fine
    image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would find it very weird to name a child the same as the town they live in.  Plus, it's really a boy's name and I hate when cute little girls have very boyish names. 

Just because he likes the city doesn't make it a good baby name.  Save it for a future puppy.

• I actually know two girls in their 20's/30's named Collins.  Both were given family names.  I think a name like that for a girl should be a family name, ideally, but I like that it has some significance for you.
  • i think if it's the style of name you like [less common surname sound for a girl] it could be cute. since there is a possibility of moving back there, though, i would suggest using a name that is a similar style but won't be an issue if you do ever move back.

i have a friend who is in love with the name collier for a girl. you might brainstorm names that are close and have the same feel as collins.

• Normally I would say NO WAY!

But given your DH's connection to the place, I think it works for your situation. I actually like the name for you!

Just make sure you don't plan on living there again in the future.

•  I'm not a fan of that name. 

I want to say, though, it's a good thing your fiance isn't from, like, Intercourse Pennsylvania or Tuckahoe New York. Dickshooter, Idaho? Nimrod, Minnesota? Lick Skillet, Virginia... Yum Yum, Tennessee!

The Blind Side... the girl who plays her? Her last name is Collins. So that cancels that argument out.

White Knot
  • I'm sorry, but to me it is a boys name.
  • Actually...The character that is the adoptive sister is named Collins Tuohy. The actress that plays her is thedaughter of Phil Collins too--you are right.

THANKS for the input everyone!!!

• imageSimply Fated:

I'm not a fan of that name. 

I want to say, though, it's a good thing your fiance isn't from, like, Intercourse Pennsylvania or Tuckahoe New York. Dickshooter, Idaho? Nimrod, Minnesota? Lick Skillet, Virginia... Yum Yum, Tennessee!

The Blind Side... the girl who plays her? Her last name is Collins. So that cancels that argument out.

That's funny---but you are incorrect about the character. Phil Collins' daughter does play the character--but the actual sister's name is Collins Tuohy as well.

• I think it's too masculine for a girl in my honest opinion!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • First of all, why would your child be plural?

Second of all, that is just a really unattractive name for either gender (with the 's' it is awful for a boy, without it's fine) but especially for a little girl.

I like the suggestion of Colleen.  Even though I'm not a fan of the name, its hundreds of times better than Collins.

• I absolutely LOVE the name (responding a few years late). I found this post because that is my number one choice for a girl....and I'm not even pregnant yet! It's different and classy. I'm not sure if it's because I'm from the Midwest or what, but I disagree with the 'only using a name if it's a family name' or have to have some sort of 'significance.' I think if you like something, go for it! That is how I've always lived my life in every aspect....jobs, where I live, dating, etc. I don't care what others think. It's a beautiful name and I hope you chose it!
  • edited September 2013
    It's the kind of name I like in theory, and I think I like the sound, buuuut...(and maybe I just drink too much) but Collins = a Tom Collins to me. ETA: SHIT, how do these damn posts from yeeeeaaars ago keep getting dragged up?!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • No - for so many reasons. :(

This MIGHT have been cute 20 years ago when it would truly be unique. Nowadays, when girls are receiving boy names all the time and it continues to trend (plus continues to confuse... I am really tired of getting genders mixed up because a parent gave a girl a decidedly boy's name), it's just another one added to the mix that frustrates and annoys me. Not that it's all about me, of course, but since you asked for opinions. :)
  • allardrallardr member
    edited September 2013
    katieg314 said:
    I don't hate it. I knew a girl in college named Collins and she was super cute. I am not really sure it's my style, but you could do a lot worse.
    This is me, don't hate it but dont' love it. Maybe more fitting for mn.
    I like it better than Colleen as others have thrown out there.
    If you love it and it has significance go for it! it's by no means horrible and looking at it people will easily pronounce it right
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Horrible.

Colleen, maybe. and Collin is a boy's name. 

I agree with this assessment

BabyFruit Ticker

• As the Mommy of a male Collin. I just  CAN'T visualize this as a girl's name... The plural thing also bothers me... 
  • Maybe mn? Or something very feminine for mn
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"