Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Pads or Tampons?

This might be TMI but how long after your miscarriage/DnC did you have to wear pads? After my DNC I bled for just the day then stopped but now I am having severe cramps and bleeding (pretty sure AF is trying to come early) because normally this is when I would be having my regular AF. I really hate pads for obvious reasons but I don't know if tampons are safe to use. The doctor and nurses never told me so I am hoping you guys can enlighten me. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Its a girl!! Cameron Rae born 1/8/13 @ 501am Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Pads or Tampons?

• no tampons, douches, or sex for 10 days for me.  don't stick anything up there, let it heal..
  • Nothing in the vagina (fingers, penis or tampons) for two weeks post miscarriage or d&c. There is a serious risk of infection.
  • Loading the player...
  • In your case (according to your siggy) its been 20 days since your m/c so tampons might be okay. I'd call the doctor and ask though. 
    TTC since July 2009 ^Rosemary^ May 7, 2010 Holding my rainbow, Beatrix, since August 21, 2012
  • Let it heal. I used pads for my PP bleeding and my first AF. It sucks using pads, but it is better than getting an infection.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I agree with the posts above.... the other thing I can think of that would be a benefit of using a pad for one cycle is that you know what your "normal" looks like.

The doctor was asking if the bleeding from the m/c was worse than a regular AF and since I've used tampons for oh, the last 13 years I really had no idea what "normal" was.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Pads for your first period after your miscarriage is what I was told.

• I used pads through the whole 29 days of spotting post-d&c...yuck!  I also used them my first 2 days of my 1st period to see how much I was bleeding.  I have used tampons since thankfully.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Every night I prayed for you. Then when you were in my belly, I prayed harder. Now that you're in my arms, I pray even harder.
  • chusumchusum member

My doctor told me if it hasn't been a full 28 days since your m/c it probably isn't AF, and the bleeding might be more "stuff" (I didn't want to say product of conception) that didn't get out the first time. Though 20 days might be on the fence I would rather be safe. Call your Dr. regardless. Did he do a f/u appt to check and make sure your cervix had completely closed?

Married August 9, 2008
    TTC Since September 2009

1st   BFP | EDD 10/23/10 | Natural M/C 03/27/10 | 10w 0d
    2nd BFP 06/26/10 | EDD 02/25/11 | Natural  M/C 07/17/10 | 8w 1d
    3rd  BFP 12/17/10 | EDD 08/24/11 | Natural M/C 12/31/10 | 7w 4d
    4th  BFP 06/22/11 | EDD 02/25/12 | M/C D&C on 07/27/11 | 9w4d
    5th  BFP 09/17/11 | DD Paige Lily born 05/16/12
    6th  BFP 08/11/12 | EDD 04/11/13 | CP
    7th  BFP 09/29/13 | EDD 06/04/14 | Natural M/C 10/27/13 | 8w1d
    8th  BFP 12/16/13 | EDD 09/01/14

DX: Pericentric Inversion of Chromosome 8 & compound heterozygous for MTHFR mutations
    RX: Lovenox/Heparin & Folgard

• I was told nothing in the vagina for 3-4 weeks.

I miss certain other things way more than tampons, though wearing pads does suck. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was told 4-6 weeks after my pp and D&C before ANYTHING went up there due to infection. I personally would stick to pads this round, but if you want to wear tampons, check with your Dr. first.
    6/28/10: Lost our sweet baby Addyston at 18wk 1day to pPROM 7/24/11: Michael William born at 24wk 2d due to IC after an emergent cerclage at 18wks, 4wk home BR and 2 weeks hospital BR. Grow strong our little Miracle! 9/17/11: Michael joined his sister in heaven after 8 amazing weeks with us on earth. He fought a very hard fight but NEC was too much for him in the end. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"