Baby Names

Honest Opinions Please

What do you think of the following names:

Carmelina (Carmen) for a girl

Bo (I am swedish) for a girl or boy

Asa (again swedish) for a girl or boy

Thanks!

Re: Honest Opinions Please

• I went to school with an Asa. I always thought it was a neat name, though not my personal style.

I would caution against Bo, at least spelled in this way. I wasn't aware it was a Swedish name/spelling and I can't help assuming, when I see this spelling, that the person doing the naming is uneducated and doesn't know how to spell Beau. I guess I'll have to revise that opinion, since now I know it can be 'correct,' but I think a lot of people will still have that perception. Beau, itself, is a beautiful name, though I've seen it bashed on this board before.

I honestly have nothing nice to say about Carmelina. I don't like Carmen at all, but that it would still be preferable to being named Carmelina, which sounds like an artificial food colorant. 

• imagestrangebird:

I would caution against Bo, at least spelled in this way. I wasn't aware it was a Swedish name/spelling and I can't help assuming, when I see this spelling, that the person doing the naming is uneducated and doesn't know how to spell Beau.

I thought this about Bo, too. It looks very hillbilly to me, even knowing now that its a correct spelling... Beau is nms, but I think you will get better reactions to this spelling.

That said, I prefer Asa. And I am not a fan of Carmelina. 

• Loading the player...
  • Carmelina is nice, but it seems like a mouthful. I like Asa.

I think Bo is fine. However, there are some famous Bo's you may not be aware of:

Bo Derek

Bo Diddley

Bo Jackson

Bo Duke (From the Dukes Of Hazard series)

If those associations don't bother you go for it.

• I really like Asa. (I've heard it for a boy)

Bo is ok, but like others have said I prefer Beau.

Not a fan of Carmelina.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I absolutely LOVE the name "Bo" for either a girl or boy!

Asa is also nice!

Carmelina is cute, but not my favorite from your list. 

• imageHappyMrsK:

Carmelina is nice, but it seems like a mouthful. I like Asa.

I think Bo is fine. However, there are some famous Bo's you may not be aware of:

Bo Derek

Bo Diddley

Bo Jackson

Bo Duke (From the Dukes Of Hazard series)

If those associations don't bother you go for it.

I thought of all of these associations for Bo too. That would be more than enough for me to say no to it. As for the others, they're not my style but they're not bad.

• A woman at my church is pregnant and naming her son Bo. I'm not really a fan, but I guess it could be worse. 

Asa and Bo aren't Swedish. Asa is Japanese and Bo is Slavic (I looked it up on babynames.com)

What about Kiersten? That's Scandinavian. 

ETA: Actually, most websites have Asa as a masculine Hebrew name.  

• All of them are nms except Carmen. I don't care for Asa for a boy at all and it's ok for a girl. And, I HATE Bo or Beau. Carmelina is dreadful.....but I do really like Carmen.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't care what a PP read on one internet site -- both Asa and Bo are names I've seen in Scandinavian countries. Bo is actually pretty popular for a boy, but I've only ever seen Asa on a girl. Honestly, taht's the only way I'd do it.

Carmelina is... eh. I'd go Carmen and call her Carmelina -- since that's actually the diminutive. 

• I don't really like Asa or Carmelina, but that's just me.

"Bo" spelled this way looks awful to me.  DH is named Beau and he gets "Bo" all the time - he hates it! 

• Asa is okay.  The others are nms.  Sorry!  GL!
    mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
  • Bo and Asa are both cool names! Not a huge fan of Carmelina, sorry!
  • imageCarabiner252:

I've met Swedish men named Asa. So it's popular there, even if it originated elsewhere.

But there is a difference between being "popular" and being a name of that origin. If you want a Scandinavian name, then use a Scandinavian name. If you just like the name, then say so!  There is nothing wrong with that. 

Connor is a very popular name here in the States.  But it's Irish.  Not "American".  It being popular here doesnt' make it NOT Irish! 

I think Courtneys' point is that if you want a name representing that culture, those names don't.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Of your options, I would use Asa for a girl and Bo for a boy. 
  • I would keep it as Carmen. Honestly, i think the 'lina just makes it sound like Thumbalina.  Bo is ok, but I really like Asa for either sex. I might add it to my list.
  • One of the moms at my school is named Asa, and she goes by the (very butchered) American pronunciation instead of the Swedish pronunciation because no one gets it right.
  • mmmmm.... carmel.

• imageStarAnnice:
    imagebhylleng:

What do you think of the following names:

Carmelina (Carmen) for a girl Carmen, yes...Carmelina..not so much

Bo (I am swedish) for a girl or boy Beau instead of Bo, yes

Asa (again swedish) for a girl or boy NMS

Thanks!

This. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards