Babies: 3 - 6 Months

About to supplement and struggling

I'm going to be going back to work and can't pump so I'll be going to formula. It's really hard to make this move because I've been bfeeding only this whole time. Before I make the leap I was curious what other mothers have been happy with? Anyone else have a hard time adding formula into their babies diet?

Thanks!

Re: About to supplement and struggling

• We've been supplimenting since day 1 since he didn't latch on for the first 7-10 days.  Hospital gave us Similac Advance and we've stayed with that.

You can always give formula during the day and BF nights and mornings.  I do that and try to pump at lunch.  But at least kidlet still gets some  breastmilk.

Take a chance. Take a risk. Take the initiative. Make your wishes a reality and make your dreams come true!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just curious, why can't you pump? 
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • imageshotzie:
    Just curious, why can't you pump? 

I've tried two different pumps, two different cup sizes and tried to increase my supply. The only time I let down is when the little one is eating on one side and I am pumping on the other. Even then I can only pump out half an ounce. I wish I could pump but I think I waited to long.

I'm still going to bfeed I'm just going to give a bottle when I'm at work part time and hope my supply doesnt diminish too much because I love being able to bfeed.

• I had problems for the beginning - DS got pumped breastmilk for the first six weeks before I had to stop pumping.

I just wanted to say that I felt really bad about adding in formula and, eventually, switching to it altogether.  I was worried DS would get sick, be at a disadvantage, be less intelligent, the whole gammut.  I was really a wreck over it.

Five months later, DS hasn't been sick once (nothing!) and is developing early - Started rolling, regularly, at 11 weeks, etc.  

Of course breast milk is best but don't worry about giving formula either.  It'a also very good nutrition for your baby.

GL! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAmynzona:

imageshotzie:
    Just curious, why can't you pump? 

I've tried two different pumps, two different cup sizes and tried to increase my supply. The only time I let down is when the little one is eating on one side and I am pumping on the other. Even then I can only pump out half an ounce. I wish I could pump but I think I waited to long.

I'm still going to bfeed I'm just going to give a bottle when I'm at work part time and hope my supply doesnt diminish too much because I love being able to bfeed.

Oh man, that's frustrating.  I was wondering if it was b/c your work wasn't accommodating or something.  Have you tried hand expressing?  It would take a bit longer, but with practice, it might work...just a thought! 

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Good luck.

I'd be interested to know what your pumping situation is like.  I never got much but before I went back to work (even when I was really engorged), I taped him breastfeeding and then used that at work.  I also practiced relaxation techniques and massaged my breasts to start the flow.  I also find that a handsfree bustier helps because it compresses the breast and holds the flanges steady.

Can you visit a lactation consultant to see about some techniques to get letdown?

• imageMrs.BoomBoom:

Good luck.

I'd be interested to know what your pumping situation is like.  I never got much but before I went back to work (even when I was really engorged), I taped him breastfeeding and then used that at work.  I also practiced relaxation techniques and massaged my breasts to start the flow.  I also find that a handsfree bustier helps because it compresses the breast and holds the flanges steady.

Can you visit a lactation consultant to see about some techniques to get letdown?

I am on a first name basis with my lactations consultant and we still can't produce milk.

But we just tried feeding my little one formula and my whole dilema has changed because my little one doesn't want the bottle... Oh, if it's not one thing it's another.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"