Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Question for all you momma's

I have  time to think since I am  pretty  much waiting for her to get here anyday now. I was thinking about pacifier's. I plan on breastfeeding but I also plan on  using pacifier's. Anyone else in this situation and if so when did you introduce the pacifier/ I am a little worried she will  have some nipple confusion. Let me know how is worked out for you ( I know every baby/situation is different  but would love your feeback!!)

Re: Question for all you momma's

• My LO doesn't really like pacis that much. He will only suck on them for a short time before he spits them out. I did, however, start bottle feeding (I BF and FF due to supply issues), at about 1 week old and we use three different kinds of bottle with various nipples and have had no issues with nipple confusion.
  • I EBF and tried introducing a pacifier.  DS won't take them.  He'll take a bottle just fine, but no pacis.  Sucks for me being the human pacifier.  Oh well.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMegan928:
    My LO doesn't really like pacis that much. He will only suck on them for a short time before he spits them out. I did, however, start bottle feeding (I BF and FF due to supply issues), at about 1 week old and we use three different kinds of bottle with various nipples and have had no issues with nipple confusion.

This EXACTLY!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• This is all personal opinion of course, so don't take it as 'this is what I think you should do', it's just my experience.

Keep in mind, DS is only 5 days old, so this is all pretty new to me too, I'm sure things can change =)

I wasn't necessarily 'planning' on using a pacifier, but I bought some and was open to the idea of them, if he needed them. I just don't agree with parents shoving it in their child's mouth every time they get fussy.
    I was also planning on exclusively breastfeeding. 

So my milk didn't come in for the first 3 days while in the hospital. We had to supplement with formula, and keep him on the breast as often as possible to bring in my supply. It got really frustrating for me, having him latched on, sucking and then completely unsatisfied and screaming after - so we introduced the pacifier and he loved it. We only used it a couple times during the day, and it really seemed to calm him down.

Now, at day 5 my milk has come in and he does not latch well. He's a lazy eater, won't open his mouth wide enough, shallowly sucks on the nipple (very painful). I am exclusively breastfeeding now, but it's a little difficult and frustrating.

Obviously it was a combination between the bottle and pacifier vs my nipple that caused the 'nipple confusion' but either way, the pacifier didn't help. He doesn't get it anymore, and won't for at least 3-4 weeks until breastfeeding is better established.

So that would be my advice. Give it at least a week or two before introducing the pacifier  - after all, your your boobs are a requirement for breastfeeding, a pacifier is not. Don't make her choose =)

Liam 07/08/10 -- TTC #2 -- my cloth vlog -- & daily cloth diaper deals Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My dd never took a pacifier which was fine by me.  I don't have anything against them but they were a last resort - I didn't want to have to wake up multiple times a night to put it back for her.  My son on the other hand sometimes needs it to fall asleep.  We give it to him while rocking him and after he falls asleep it falls out.  I can't remember when we started this but I think it was around the same time that we introduced the bottle at 3-4 weeks.
  • Nipple confusion is extremely rare. We introduced the paci to both our girls in the hospital. DD1 took to it, DD2 is still refusing even though we keep trying. She prefers the real thing and unfortunately won't even take a bottle now.
    Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
  • Day 2 because she went to the NICU.  No nipple confusion at all and, in fact, she rarely wants one.  She knows it's not the real thing : )
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • No nipple confusion here. Good luck!
  • QmommyQmommy member

No nipple confusion here - I think we all need to give our babies a little more credit!  :)  I started the pacifier (though she doesn't really like it and will spit it out after a few minutes if she takes it at all) during week 2.  I was at my wits end one day because she wanted to nurse for an hour then take an hour break and want to do it all over again.  She took it that day for about 5 minutes and I think that's the longest she has ever taken it.  Usually she'll spit it out and not want it.  

I introduced a bottle the end of week 2 and that was a struggle to get started because she wanted the boob.  She still prefers the boob but will no longer fight my DH for a bottle.  My DH gives her a bottle once a day so she's used to it.  This is to benefit us in the future when we want to go out on a date.  :)  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • QmommyQmommy member
    imagekaylarosebrecht:

This is all personal opinion of course, so don't take it as 'this is what I think you should do', it's just my experience.

Keep in mind, DS is only 5 days old, so this is all pretty new to me too, I'm sure things can change =)

I wasn't necessarily 'planning' on using a pacifier, but I bought some and was open to the idea of them, if he needed them. I just don't agree with parents shoving it in their child's mouth every time they get fussy.
    I was also planning on exclusively breastfeeding. 

So my milk didn't come in for the first 3 days while in the hospital. We had to supplement with formula, and keep him on the breast as often as possible to bring in my supply. It got really frustrating for me, having him latched on, sucking and then completely unsatisfied and screaming after - so we introduced the pacifier and he loved it. We only used it a couple times during the day, and it really seemed to calm him down.

Now, at day 5 my milk has come in and he does not latch well. He's a lazy eater, won't open his mouth wide enough, shallowly sucks on the nipple (very painful). I am exclusively breastfeeding now, but it's a little difficult and frustrating.

Obviously it was a combination between the bottle and pacifier vs my nipple that caused the 'nipple confusion' but either way, the pacifier didn't help. He doesn't get it anymore, and won't for at least 3-4 weeks until breastfeeding is better established.

So that would be my advice. Give it at least a week or two before introducing the pacifier  - after all, your your boobs are a requirement for breastfeeding, a pacifier is not. Don't make her choose =)

I find this interesting... my milk didn't come in until day 5 and I never supplemented with formula.  I pumped after nursing and fed her the colostrum that I pumped with a syringe (well my DH did).  No one in the hospital or my LC ever recommended formula - and I'm glad because I may have given it to her. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Nipple confusion is actually pretty rare. I worried about it pre-baby as well but then my baby had meconium aspiration and ended up in the NICU for 5 days. They gave her a pacifier right away and we haven't had any issues.
    with two cats
  • imageQmommy:

I find this interesting... my milk didn't come in until day 5 and I never supplemented with formula.  I pumped after nursing and fed her the colostrum that I pumped with a syringe (well my DH did).  No one in the hospital or my LC ever recommended formula - and I'm glad because I may have given it to her. 

No one in my hospital recommended it either, I just felt it was necessary for my child - and they supported my decision.

I wasn't producing anything, period. I was so upset, we tried pumping numerous times over the 3 days with no results - and then yesterday it just came in full force.

Once 24 hours hit, he was miserable, I was miserable - I don't regret giving him formula at all since we are almost completely successful at nursing now. The 'nipple confusion' did take it's toll at first.

All mothers handle things differently I guess =)

Liam 07/08/10 -- TTC #2 -- my cloth vlog -- & daily cloth diaper deals Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"