Canada Babies

Self Employed maternity Leave.....

Anyone else planning on applying?

I've been attempting to get my access pass for over a month, and I'm starting to get frustrated.

I would love to know if anyone else is going through the process!

barebonebetty 

Re: Self Employed maternity Leave.....

• Are you talking about the new EI thing for self-employed? If so, unfortunately you wouldn't qualify. The earliest parents to qualify are those who will be due in January 31, 2011 because you have to be contributing to EI for at least 1 year before you are eligible to apply for benefits.
  • Hello Daniellcs

I was told I just had to register interest by April 31st 2010.

And I could pay into the program in a lump sum.

Do you work for EI? I'd love to get some more info on the subject.

Any talk to doesn't know much about it and 'm only getting basic information.

I'd appreciate any info I can get!

Thanks! 

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry, I don't have any more info but if you get more, please do share! What you received contradicts what I'd read but they may have fine tuned the rules.

My baby is due in the next few weeks so I didn't bother researching it much and I'm not contributing to EI.

One of the important things to take note of, however, is this:

"The self-employed could opt out of the EI program at the end of any tax
    year, as long as they have never claimed benefits. If they have claimed
    benefits, they would have to contribute on self-employed earnings for as
    long as they are self-employed."Here are a couple articles on it. You can google more. https://www.strocel.com/maternity-leave-for-the-self-employed-announced/
    https://www.reuters.com/article/idUS143007+03-Nov-2009+MW20091103

• Well everything has been sorted!

I have been inquiring about Self-employed maternity leave since January 1st 2010.

Here are the steps I have taken.

1. Called EI
    They told be I would have to go onto the service Canada website and apply for an access code.

2. Went to www.servicecanada.com and tired to apply for a access code.
    The site kept telling me my mothers maiden name was wrong.

3. I called EI they told be I had the right name and to try again.

4.Tried several times with out any success

5. Called EI again.
    They told me that I had successfully applied for the code and it should be in the mail in 10 days.
    20 days passed no code.

6. Called EI again.
    This time talked to 5 different people and was told 5 different things.

7. Went directly to a Service Canada Office ( March 2nd )
    There we tried to access the website and with an officer there we were refused 5 or six times.
    She suggested that I just go home and try my mothers maiden name with all the different spellings.

Tried 10 more times at home to no avail.

8. That same day I called service Canada and they told me that if I attempt and fail the system locks and I can't try again for 48-72 hours.
    She said that 10 of those times I tired they were valid. So I should be receiving a code in the mail in 10 days. And not to try again until I receive it or that attempt will nullify the previous attempts.
    She didn't seem to bothered by the fact that on my computer and  the Service Canada Computer told me that the access code could not be applied for online.

9. It is now april 6th and I haven't received an access code. And I have missed the deadline to show my interest in Self-Employed maternity leave.

10. I call CPP they say that they can issue me an access code that will get me into the same area that I need to apply for EI. ( Why I wasn't told this in the beginning.....I have talked to CPP + EI at least 20 times at this point )
    They say the code is in the mail.

11. April 15th I receive the access code from CPP.
    I get into my Service Canada account. There is nowhere for me to "Show interest" in the Self employed maternity program.
    So I just try to apply for EI thinking this will at least get the ball rolling. The website won't work!

12. I call Michael Chong's office hoping to get some help.
    I get a call back within 2 hours.

13. MP's office called me back to let me know I would have to appeal the date of my Self Employed Maternity leave.

14. Today I went into Service Canada and they registered my intentions for Self Employed Mat leave and took in my appeal.

So hopefully come January 1st 2010 I will be able to collect EI.

It has been a long process, but will be worth it in the end!

Hope this helps anyone going through the same thing!

• So here is the latest.

I just found out that once you start paying into the EI system you must continue even if you never use it. That means paying into EI for the rest of your self-employed life. 

Also you can only take up to a maximum of 15 weeks.

So really...there is no benefit to this system.

Disappointing but not surprising.......

• imageemma@barebonephoto.com:

So here is the latest.

I just found out that once you start paying into the EI system you must continue even if you never use it. That means paying into EI for the rest of your self-employed life. 

Also you can only take up to a maximum of 15 weeks.

So really...there is no benefit to this system.

Disappointing but not surprising.......

This is not true. If you want to opt-out, you still have to contribute for one year after receiving benefits. You are free to opt-out after that time. This would be the same procedure if you were not self-employed. You are expected to either return to work after your benefit period.

I too had difficulty getting my Service Canada account set up and won't be eligible until April (but am due end of January). I will look into the lump sum thing or appeal. 

• Hey Prairiebabymama,

Thanks for replying to the post!

I'd love to get the source of your information.

I have had so much trouble getting anything out of Service Canada!

I really have lost all faith in the system.

If you can opt out after going back to work then I would be totally up for taking advantage of this program.

barebonebetty!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"