Babies: 9 - 12 Months

xp: when to switch to cows milk

I know there are a lot of different opinions on this and I'm just curious when everyone is switching (or did switch) to cows milk.  At this point I'm planning on introducing one cup of cows milk a day starting at 11 months and hopefully transitioning entirely by around 12 months.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: xp: when to switch to cows milk

• We have occasionaly given DD cows milk in the last two-three weeks but not on a regular basis, we plan on start giving it to her when she turns one and we start weaning from the breast to cows milk which hopefully will only take one month.  Our goal is to be done breastfeeding by September 1st.  Hope that helps.
  • I was going to wait until 11 months to introduce cow's milk but then my supply dwindled so quickly that I had to start last week. He is doing well other than being so gassy.  I do plan to continue breastfeeding in the morning and at night until after a year.
  • Loading the player...
  • 12 months. I didn't realize there were different opinions on this?? ETA: other then maybe starting a little here and there around 11 months.
    CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • I tried to give her a little milk in a sippy. She won't drink it, spits it and says gross. Which sounds like more gosss. I was hoping to wean by a year, but it doesn't look like that'll happening. I think 11 months is when most people try cows milk. 
  • I started him on whole milk at 11 months. ?We've replaced 2 of his 5 nursing sessions per day with cow's milk so far. ?Hoping to have him weaned by Aug. 1st (his birthday) or shortly thereafter. ?He is doing very well with it! ?I wanted to go slowly with the weaning so I can avoid engorgement, and so far so good!?
  • i am going to start the weaning process once they turn 1...so that is when i will introduce milk.  
  • This past Thursday we started giving DD whole milk (so 11 months). Doing 1/4 milk and 3/4 formula in DD's bottle. We are doing a slow transition. Maybe this Thursday we will do 1/2 and 1/2. By 12 months DD will be completely switched. Maybe even earlier.

I haven't given it to her in her sippy yet. She wasn't too thrilled about formula in the sippy. Maybe I will try again in a few days when we are 1/2 and 1/2.

• we've started as of a week ago and DS still nurses 2x/day.
  • going to start gradually introducing mixed w/ formula next week. I wouldve started  slowly transitioning at 11 months but we went on vacay & i didn't want to introduce anything new like that.

We have friends who have already transitioned their son to 100% cow's milk over a 2 week period by 10 months... their dr seems to have encouraged it. I don't really know how I feel about it, only b/c his solid food diet is still pretty limited I believe so I do worry a bit about nutrients & anemia but it's not my business so I don't say anything! 

• I have no clue if I should do it at 12 months adjusted or actual but it won't be any sooner than 12 months actual. DD is so tiny and not even on the charts so if her pedi approves it, I will continue with toddler formula for a few months. She needs some meat on her bones!
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• imageadhdfashion:
    I tried to give her a little milk in a sippy. She won't drink it, spits it and says gross. Which sounds like more gosss. I was hoping to wean by a year, but it doesn't look like that'll happening. I think 11 months is when most people try cows milk. 

WOW, your 11-month-old says "gross?!"  Impressive!

• I just bought some today for him to try this week.  His birthday is tomorrow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • I wasn't going to start introducing it til 12 months. I figured I'd get my ped's advice on it at his 12-month appointment.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At the 9 mo appt, the pedi told us not to start yet so I will wait and see what she says at the 12 mo appt. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"