Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Made delish "Lactation Muffins" - recipe inside

I like the Lactation Cookies, but also want something a little lower fat and just different from the cookies, so I tweaked a morning muffin a little - they turned out fabulous. I've done them a couple different times, varying the "add ins" (last 3 ingredients on the list), doing pecans and cherries, or raisins and chocolate chips but the below version I made today is my favorite.  The banana, coconut, pineapple flavor is great together.

It doesn't have as much oatmeal as the original cookie recipe, but does have whole wheat flour and you can up the oat content but the light texture will suffer (heavier denser muffin). 

• 1  cup  whole wheat flour 
  • 1/2  cup  all-purpose flour 
  • 1  cup  regular oats
  • 3/4  cup  packed brown sugar
  • 3 T heaping - flax seed meal
  • 2-3 T heaping nutritional/brewers yeast
  • 2  teaspoons  baking soda
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1  cup  plain yogurt (could also use flavored but cut back the brown sugar)
  • dash of vanilla
  • 1  large cup  mashed ripe banana (about 2-3)
  • 1  large egg
  • 1/2 cup toasted shredded coconut (or more, could be closer to 1 cup)
  • 3/4  cup  chopped walnuts (or more)
  • 1/2  cup  finely chopped dried pineapple (or more)

Preheat oven to 350?.

Place 18-24 muffin cups liners in muffin cups.

Combine dry ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl and mix well.  Make a well in center of mixture. Combine yogurt, vanilla, banana, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in walnuts, pineapple, and coconut (or whatevery your add-ins are). Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, about 1/4 cup per muffin.  Bake at 350? for about 20 minutes.

Here's the original recipe from Cooking Light that I started with and tweaked - it has the original nutritional information on it. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Re: Made delish "Lactation Muffins" - recipe inside

• Options

YUMMY!

Hey...e-mail me please.  rumbleinthekitchen@gmail

Thanks!

• Options
    thanks for posting.... the banana pineapple coconut sounds like heaven
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    seems easy and yummy...  maybe I'll try these since ds wants some of everything I make/eat---- better than him eatting all my cookies
    Lovin' Life: M+D 7/06, T 1/08, B 5/10
    Getting back to it- my diet and exercise blog
    Losing it...Without Losing it
  • Options
    mmm sounds good. Did you find it to be as effective as the cookies at increasing your supply?
  • Options

imageJen&Joe06:
    mmm sounds good. Did you find it to be as effective as the cookies at increasing your supply?

I'm not sure but I haven't had supply issues since the very beginning when I wasn't able to make cookies and sadly didn't have anyone to make them for me.

But A) I figure the ingredients are good for you either way and B) the key ingredients in the lacation cookies are the oatmeal, flax seed meal, and nutritional/brewers yeast which are still in the muffins. In fact there should be MORE flax seed and yeast per muffin than per cookie (although less oatmeal).  Plus, since there is a lot less fat per muffin I feel like it's ok to eat more of them (not that the butter really stopped me from scarfing cookies, but the muffins I view as pretty much guilt free).

• Options
    Another tip to making the muffins - if you freeze and defrost the bananas they break down a lot easier and you get a smoother consistency with like 30 seconds of stirring with a fork. Whenever we have bananas that have gotten too ripe for us I just put them in the bag in the freezer for later use, then pull them out when I'm going to bake.
  • Options
    thanks! *saves for later* sounds great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"