Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Diaper changing tantrums

I can't stand it anymore! My DS HATES to have his diaper changed! He runs away when he knows I have to change his diaper and when I finally get him down to do it he throws a tantrum! He scream and tries to kick me. I give him a toy and he throws it. Any tips or tricks?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Diaper changing tantrums

• DS used to be horrible about diaper changes, but lately he seems to be fine with them again. I always make sure to distract him BEFORE I go in for the change...I hand him a toy and take off his shorts while he's standing up, get the fresh diaper unfolded, then lay him down all ready to go so the process is quicker.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a series of a dozen small toys that I give him throughout the process. I give him one, he throws it, repeat. It works, though.
  • Loading the player...
  • kgwenkgwen member
    i've been letting her hold an OPEN tube of diaper cream.  sure she gets a bit on her hands and leg but i just wipe it off.   works really well for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have better luck laying her down on my legs. I sit on the floor with my legs out straight and lay her down in the groove between my legs. IDK why it's better than the pad, but she stays much more calm. Like pp, we also try to get her distracted with a toy beforehand and take her clothes off (and on) with her standing. Even then, we still have some wicked diaper changes.
  • imagekgwen:
    i've been letting her hold an OPEN tube of diaper cream.  sure she gets a bit on her hands and leg but i just wipe it off.   works really well for us.

This use to work for us, not so much anymore

• DS doesn't really kick, but he gets mad about having to lay down. It's not the process, just laying down and being "out of control" from walking! I have  a series of toys that we keep just for changes. I let him pick out a book, too when he wakes up from naps or in the morning and we keep that by us to change. He is fascinated with anything that has "working" parts to figure out. we have a tin lunch box that is trains that was displayed in his room and he just discovered it on the shelf. So, w/e to keep him happy and he's been playing with unlocking that thing constantly! lol But, I don't let him take the toys back out of my room where he gets his diaper changed...keeps the toys fresh and "new" to him.

Hope it's just a phase for you! Good luck

• DD does much better when I change her on the floor instead of the changing table.  She has more room to wiggle and move around and if she throws a toy, I can just pick it up easily and give it back to her. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • i've actually had some luck changing diapers while DS is still standing!
  • This won't apply if you use a changing table, but I've found that DS is much better when we have a designated spot for diaper changes.  If we're out and about, in his room, at my mom's, etc, he flips out.  But, if we're home, in the living room and I tell him to go lie down on his Spiderman couch, he goes right over to it and is totally calm.
  • Hang a mobile above your changing table.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"