Two Under 2

Surprise BFP- Now what to do?

I have so many questions about having 2 under 2, and I thought what better place to ask than all of those mamas out there who are experienced in the 2u2 category.  I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions.  Like the very first one- when is your child ready to switch to a toddler bed or a double bed with railings?  My daughter will be 1 this month, and I just found out I'm pregnant, so they will be roughly 20 months apart.  Is 20 months too young for  big girl bed, or should I leave her in her crib and buy another crib for baby number 2?

My other question- how is it being pregnant with a young toddler running around?  Is it very different from your first pregnancy, if so how?

thanks for letting me ask a ton of questions.

Carrie

Re: Surprise BFP- Now what to do?

• first of all, congrats on your BFP!

DD turned one about 2 weeks ago and is still in her crib, where she will remain until the end of time if i have anything to do with it!  just kidding, we plan on leaving her in a crib until she tries climbing out of it.  we did go ahead and get a 2nd crib for LO #2 - DD is great at entertaining herself in her crib when she wakes up in the morning and after naps, up to an hour after waking!   

as far as being pregnant with a toddler, there are good days and bad days as with any pregnancy.  i am a SAHM, so i feel like i get to rest a bit more when DD is napping (she naps for an hour in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon).  when she is awake, she is ON THE GO CONSTANTLY!  her schedule is crucial to me being able to handle everything (cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, taking care of her, etc).  DH works until 5:30/6 every night and DD is in bed by 7:30, so i have my hands full, but it's definitely "do-able" as long as i keep my priorities straight.

this pregnancy is comparable to my first, aside from the difference in weight gain (i've only gained 11 lbs. so far and by this time with DD i believe i was already up 30 lbs.)  i also make sure i'm in bed by 9:00, so i'm well rested for the next day, but i don't feel like i have less/more energy than my first. 

i will say this, chasing a toddler around is definitely making this pregnancy go by faster - i just don't have the time to sit around and ponder what's going on in my  ute! 

• Mine will end up being 19/20 months apart. I transitioned DD's crib to toddler bed at 13 mo with no issues. She is now in a twin bed with safety rails (has been since 15mo) with no issues! She has never tried to get out of it on her own. 

Pregnancy with a toddler flies by! I can hardly keep track of how many weeks I am! 

• Loading the player...
  • Congrats!

First off, I would not switch #1 out of the crib!  Personally, I wanted DS contained in there as long as possible.  And no, I wouldn't buy a second crib, I'd use the PnP for your baby (which we did, though we bedshare 99% of the time with our babies). 

Second, I didn't think it was too bad.  I was working FT and taking care of everyone in the evening, and I was fine.  I have easy pregnancies, though, so that may not be the same for everyone.  Also, mine were only 16 months apart, so my oldest was still very young during pregnancy and not too hard for me to chase.

• Mine are 18 mos apart. We kept DS in his crib and I am so glad that we did, but I totally think it depends on the child.  He has never tried to climb out and actually asks to go Night Night for naps and at bedtime.  His will convert to a toddler bed, but we are in no hurry!  He is 21 mos now and still content in his crib.
  • We did not buy another crib for #2.  We just transitioned our 18 month old to a full size bed with rails last week.  He had no problem transitioning at all.  He actually plays in the bed before and after falling asleep and waits for us to come get him.  He has not fallen out of bed and he has kept the exact same schedule that he had when sleeping in the crib. 
  • I'm almost 18 weeks pregnant and I have a fourteen month old.  I don't know what to do about the bed/crib situation either.   We have a convertible crib--one of those cribs that turns into a toddler bed.  I'm not sure if we should convert his crib to a toddler bed and get another crib--or should we just get a full-sized bed for the older one?? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• my two are 22 months apart, and we kept DS#1 in a crib, and bought another for DD#2.  DS sleeps so well in his crib, i didn't want to change anything.  i think kids can sleep in their cribs until they are nearly 3, right?  he's never tried to climb out.  we have inexpensive cribs though, so it wasn't too hard on our budget to buy a second one.

as far as the pregnancy, i was much more tired after work, having to chase around a toddler.  luckily, DS is a great kid, and doesn't cause us too much trouble.

now, he LOVES his baby sister, kisses her all of the time, and is so proud of her.  it's great.  good luck! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Congrats! Were you on the PAL board? You look familiar.

Ours was a surprise BFP too and after the shock wore off we were so excited. The kids will be 18 months apart. I plan on keeping the baby in a basinette as long as I can and then moving to the crib. We'll be moving Cora to the toddler bed probably before she is 2. I have a few friends who put their kids in the toddler bed before they were 2 and did just fine.

Well the pg is different because the first time you are pg, it seems like everything revolves around you being pg, what the baby is doing each week, etc. If you are tired, you can take a nap, etc. This time Cora is my focus and I feel like being pg is #2. I am exhausted and nauseous but don't have as much time to dwell on that since I have a toddler.I drink caffeine and am much more lax than I was with the last pg. I can't wait til my belly gets bigger and the baby starts moving and see how Cora reacts to that. I'm really excited for her to have a sibling so close in age.

Congrats! This is a great board and very helpful.

• imageerinjcianciolo:

first of all, congrats on your BFP!

DD turned one about 2 weeks ago and is still in her crib, where she will remain until the end of time if i have anything to do with it!  just kidding, we plan on leaving her in a crib until she tries climbing out of it.  we did go ahead and get a 2nd crib for LO #2 - DD is great at entertaining herself in her crib when she wakes up in the morning and after naps, up to an hour after waking!   

as far as being pregnant with a toddler, there are good days and bad days as with any pregnancy.  i am a SAHM, so i feel like i get to rest a bit more when DD is napping (she naps for an hour in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon).  when she is awake, she is ON THE GO CONSTANTLY!  her schedule is crucial to me being able to handle everything (cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, taking care of her, etc).  DH works until 5:30/6 every night and DD is in bed by 7:30, so i have my hands full, but it's definitely "do-able" as long as i keep my priorities straight.

this pregnancy is comparable to my first, aside from the difference in weight gain (i've only gained 11 lbs. so far and by this time with DD i believe i was already up 30 lbs.)  i also make sure i'm in bed by 9:00, so i'm well rested for the next day, but i don't feel like i have less/more energy than my first. 

i will say this, chasing a toddler around is definitely making this pregnancy go by faster - i just don't have the time to sit around and ponder what's going on in my  ute! 

congrats!  I agree with this post. DS#1 is still happy in his crib and hasn't tried to climb out.  His crib is convertible so we bought the same one for DS#2. 

Being pregnant with a toddler is tiring.  I just tried to go to bed early and rest when I could. Pregnancy #2 was harder b/c of more m/s until week 18 and being tired. Smells (like changing diapers) were horrible to me and made me so sick.  It goes by faster though. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"