Babies: 9 - 12 Months

NBR: Visiting Canada

DH and I have never been and want to plan a trip for his birthday in December. Any recs on where to go? We aren't necessarily interested in a ski town, just looking for an all around fun city to visit. I'm going to start researching but figured I'd ask here first. TIA!

Noah Anthony 6.15.09 Baby boy #2 due 4.4.12

Re: NBR: Visiting Canada

• Canada is a big country - what province/area did you have in mind?

ETA: Will you be going as a family or as a couple? 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No particular place, open to all suggestions! :)

• Loading the player...
  • Are you driving or flying? We are in Windsor (boarder city with Detroit) and we did Altanta in March!

I have yet to venture out of Ontario unfortunately. There are some beautiful spots out west of course. Windsor is OK but nothing to exciting or family oriented. Toronto/Niagara Falls are nice but if I could I think I would do one of the coasts!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have to run - PM me and I'll get back to you tonight with a few ideas!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There is definitely lots to see and do here that's for sure!! I live on the East coast and there's lots here to see. There are lots of nice things out west, and on the west coast too and they don't always get as much snow out there as we do here! I've only been as far west as Ontario, but I would love to see BC and Alberta!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image Visit The Nest!
  • I live in Canada and I would definitely recommend British Columbia.  The Okonogan is beautiful and has some delicious fruit and wineries (if you're in to that and have a sitter!) Vancouver has a boat load of stuff to do as does the island.  We had so much fun in Victoria and Tofino.

I have never been to the East Coast but have heard how amazing it is and the Bed and Breakfasts are supposed to be great. 

GL planning! Canada is an awesome place to be; I hope you enjoy it.

• imageMrs.Teddy:

Are you driving or flying? We are in Windsor (boarder city with Detroit) and we did Altanta in March!

I have yet to venture out of Ontario unfortunately. There are some beautiful spots out west of course. Windsor is OK but nothing to exciting or family oriented. Toronto/Niagara Falls are nice but if I could I think I would do one of the coasts!

We'll be flying, I'm not a fan of long car rides :) How did you like Atlanta?

• imagecamrah16:
    imageMrs.Teddy:

Are you driving or flying? We are in Windsor (boarder city with Detroit) and we did Altanta in March!

We drove to Florida straight thru (20 hrs with an 8 month old) and then took it slow coming home. We stayed in Atlanta overnight. We would love to go back, and probably will one day! I wish we could have stayed longer but we were with my dad and his family.

We did the aquarium and coke world and I couldn't leave without eating at cheesecake factory, the closest one to us is 4 hrs away!

• I second the Okanagans, but I also LOVE the East Coast. I've been to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI and loved all 3 of them!  Fundy National Park in NB is incredible!
  • imageLittleMissParis:

I live in Canada and I would definitely recommend British Columbia.  The Okonogan is beautiful and has some delicious fruit and wineries (if you're in to that and have a sitter!) Vancouver has a boat load of stuff to do as does the island.  We had so much fun in Victoria and Tofino.

I have never been to the East Coast but have heard how amazing it is and the Bed and Breakfasts are supposed to be great. 

GL planning! Canada is an awesome place to be; I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks, I've heard great things about Vancouver I think we may lean in that direction!

• Ottawa Ontario is very nice - here

Toronto Ontario - here

Montreal Quebec - here

Niagara Falls Ontario - here it a very touristy city - over priced

Banff Alberta - here

A lot of places in BC - here I love BC

I didn't know what kind of vacation you are looking for. I say go to BC. There is a lot to do inside and outside. weather can be a hit or a miss. Good luck and let us know where you are going.

• imageMrs.Teddy:
    imagecamrah16:
    imageMrs.Teddy:

We drove to Florida straight thru (20 hrs with an 8 month old) and then took it slow coming home. We stayed in Atlanta overnight. We would love to go back, and probably will one day! I wish we could have stayed longer but we were with my dad and his family.

We did the aquarium and coke world and I couldn't leave without eating at cheesecake factory, the closest one to us is 4 hrs away!

Yum, I love the Cheescake Factory, I had it for lunch yesterday!

• imagenat8:

Ottawa Ontario is very nice - here

Toronto Ontario - here

Montreal Quebec - here

Niagara Falls Ontario - here it a very touristy city - over priced

Banff Alberta - here

A lot of places in BC - here I love BC

I didn't know what kind of vacation you are looking for. I say go to BC. There is a lot to do inside and outside. weather can be a hit or a miss. Good luck and let us know where you are going.

Thanks so much! This is a definite help to kickstart my research :)

• I would fly into Vancouver and then take a ferry to Vancouver Island and spend a little time there.  The drive up to Tofino is breathtaking. 

After the island, you can drive or take a train inland from Vancouver that will take you to Jasper national park.  I would definitely do Jasper and Banff.  (I'm a little biased because I live four hours from there, but people come from all over the world to see those mountains).  There is plenty to do and see.  Hiking, white water rafting, hot springs, horseback riding, etc.  The views are spectacular.

On your way to Alberta from Vancouver, if you chose to drive, there are plenty of wineries, beautiful lakes.  I recommend Kelowna for some great restaurants.  You can rent a boat on Okanagan Lake.

There are lots of possibilities and you won't be disappointed.

ETA:  If you're looking for a fun city, I would stay in Vancouver for a few days or a week before venturing out.  There is lots to see and do and some spectacular restaurants.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagereannegummer:

I would fly into Vancouver and then take a ferry to Vancouver Island and spend a little time there.  The drive up to Tofino is breathtaking. 

After the island, you can drive or take a train inland from Vancouver that will take you to Jasper national park.  I would definitely do Jasper and Banff.  (I'm a little biased because I live four hours from there, but people come from all over the world to see those mountains).  There is plenty to do and see.  Hiking, white water rafting, hot springs, horseback riding, etc.  The views are spectacular.

On your way to Alberta from Vancouver, if you chose to drive, there are plenty of wineries, beautiful lakes.  I recommend Kelowna for some great restaurants.  You can rent a boat on Okanagan Lake.

ETA:  If you're looking for a fun city, I would stay in Vancouver for a few days or a week before venturing out.  There is lots to see and do and some spectacular restaurants.

ITA 100%!

Big Smile 

• imageburning_television:
    imagereannegummer:

I would fly into Vancouver and then take a ferry to Vancouver Island and spend a little time there.  The drive up to Tofino is breathtaking. 

ITA 100%!

Big Smile 

Yes The only thing she didn't do is book your hotels LOL

• Whistler, B.C. is fabulous for skiiing.

Banff, Alberta is a great touristy town. Beautiful hotels and B&Bs, lots to do, great hot springs, skiing, snow shoeing, etc.

Radium, B.C. has nice resorts and even better hot springs than Banff.

In Ontario, I'd recommend Muskoka (think cabins, woods, bon fires, etc) or Niagara Falls, which is nice year round and has TONS to do and see.

You could also go to the Yukon, it's supposed to be beautiful up there, though not really my scene (remote) and I've never been.

HTH

ETA: I also love Montreal, Quebec and Quebec City, Quebec. Beautiful places, tons of history and nice architecture, good food, lots of shopping, etc. And almost everyone speaks English so don't worry if you don't speak French.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • imagereannegummer:

That sounds amazing, I'm sold! Thanks :)

• I'm an hour from Banff and I would have to say it's not that exciting. In December I would definitely go to Quebec. Both Montreal and Quebec City are beautiful and there are lots of great restaurants, shopping, history, and sights. Skip Alberta. It's quite boring. Especially in the winter.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Alright, I just re-read this and didn't read closely enough the first time to see that this was a winter vacation.  My BC/Alberta suggestion is a much better late spring/summer holiday.  Vancouver and Vancouver Island are still quite warm in December but it might be really rainy then.  Unless you're a skier, I might skip Jasper/Banff areas in the winter time.

Now I agree with PP and think you should go to Montreal and Quebec city if you're coming in December.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"