December 2010 Moms

Poll: Things you have learned

So we're all progressing in our pregnancies (crazy how time flies, right?), and I'm sure we have all learned a lot about what it entails to be pregnant, how people act around you, etc... 

So, what are the top 2-3 things you've learned since becoming pregnant?

Mine-

1. Watch out what you tell people (esp. if it has to do with baby/pregnancy) because they will, without a doubt, offer you some sort of advice you probably don't want to hear.

2. Apparently pregnancy makes you fragile- people treat me like I will break or something.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Poll: Things you have learned

• 1. You really don't have a lot of control over things sometimes, and it's best to listen to your body.

2. If you don't throw up in your first tri, you apparently have an easy pregnancy.

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • Nothing that I didn't know about people before, however I never expected some of the infractions to come from people so close to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • 1.  People don't have a filter when speaking to you.  You're either to fat, to round, to fragile to do anything, you're choice of registry stuff is too ugly, to brown, to neutral (uh hello we don't know what the sex is yet!!!) to expensive.

2.  The registring for a baby can be stressful - and makes you start wondering, for a little baby why do they need all this stuff that will take up about 3/4 of my house!

• 1.  That I'm a lot more relaxed than I would have thought.  About all things baby, and about the stupid-a$$ comments that I thought would upset me more.

2. That I have a really awesome support system around me.  As much as I want to strangle some people some times, I haven't had to deal with nearly as much as some of you ladies.  I'm thankful for my family, for my friends, but mostly for my awesome husband--I picked a good one!

Honor3 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageCRFJAG:

2- When you stop the having the ability to PMS, don't worry-- DH will take over seamlessly!

So true!

• imagebubbles231211:

1.  People don't have a filter when speaking to you.  You're either to fat, to round, to fragile to do anything, you're choice of registry stuff is too ugly, to brown, to neutral (uh hello we don't know what the sex is yet!!!) to expensive.

This is a big one for me!

2. I didn't realize how much I would worry throughout the pregnancy. It's always something new once one worry is out of the way, but that could just be the over-thinker I am.

3. I had never heard of a sleep-gasm before being pregnant. That was a new one to me!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I learned that I will never stop obsessing about my body/weight. Even during pregnancy I am unable to cut myself some slack Embarrassed

The first trimester really does suck.

Choosing names is extremely difficult!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1.  That people always have an opinion, whether it is about the baby's name or your choice of bedding or how expensive baby stuff is nowadays, lol.

2.  That apparently because I am pregnant, I shouldn't carry ANYTHING.  which is really irritating.

• 1.  I've learned who really loves me the most, as in family members and also friends. During life changing events you really realize who truly loves you. 

2.  That you can have spicy foods while pregnant, baby does not taste it at all.  I'm tired of hearing people telling me I can't eat spicy, I LOVE it and if I don't get heartburn with it I'll continue eating it!

• 1.  My family is really nice and supportive.

2.  I never realized how many things I love have nitrates in them...all I want to do is buy a stack of salami and just sit there and shove it in my mouth.  (and once in awhile, I do)

3.  Never thought I would feel guilty about what I am or am not doing, but now I do.  I read fit pregnancy this month and just about killed myself because I make no attempt to eat organic.  Strangely enough, the guilt has not made me start buying exclusively organic though...

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Onions are not your friend unless you want Burnin Up to be your theme song.

2nd time around things are completely different. How you feel, people's reactions, your overall mentality.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMadison830:

3. Women really do become Mothers when they find out they are pregnant, Men become Fathers when they hold their baby for the first time. (Not saying they can't get excited and be cute about being a Daddy... but it doesn't really "sink in" this early for many of them!) 

so true!

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • People will have something to say about every decision you make or how you plan to raise your child. Most of my comments have come from people who don't even have kids and they think they know it all.
  • 1 - I've learned to smile and nod like a pro, because I could fill up a book with all the unsolicited advise i've been given about child rearing; especially about feeding them.

2 - I also learned that without my husband, i wouldn't be half as good a mom as I am today. 

• 1. Sleeping will never be comfortable until the baby is born (seriously, I CANNOT SLEEP, but maybe this just prepares us for actual motherhood)

2. Varicose veins are a nasty b*tch that likes to make sneaky appearances everywhere, INCLUDING my belly

3. You can be the exact same weight you are as you were pre-pregnancy and your pre-preg clothes will not fit you. How can this be??

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagebubbles231211:

1.  People don't have a filter when speaking to you.  You're either to fat, to round, to fragile to do anything, you're choice of registry stuff is too ugly, to brown, to neutral (uh hello we don't know what the sex is yet!!!) to expensive.

2.  The registring for a baby can be stressful - and makes you start wondering, for a little baby why do they need all this stuff that will take up about 3/4 of my house!

No kidding about the filter thing. I can't even believe some of the stuff that came out of my MIL's mouth this weekend. I don't know why being pregnant opens the door to figuring out when we conceived and if they were visiting at the time. Freaking psycho lady, it's none of her business!

• 1.  Most people are idiots.  This is only intensified by being pregnant.

2.  People's unwarranted opinions are the worst sort of opinions, & whatever golden standard makes it ok to say whatever you want to pregnant lady should be brought to light in a national ad campaign to stop this crazy ignorance. 

3.  My husband can actually have the drive & motivation to get the stuff done that I ask him, I just have to be knocked up @ the time.  ;)  No seriously, he has been my saving grace during this whole process.  Its amazes me daily how much can change once he realized he was going to be a daddy.  

• imagetiffanyp:

I learned that I will never stop obsessing about my body/weight. Even during pregnancy I am unable to cut myself some slack Embarrassed

Totally agree with this!!!!

• 1. That when people talk about "crazy pregnant women" they probably aren't taking into account the ridiculously ignorant things other people say to those pregnant women which make them crazy. (IE- Unsolicited advice, rude weight/size comments, opinions on names picked, etc)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • 1: People touch too much, Im showing now and people keep touching my belly. Not sure that I like it at all.

2: There is a lot of advice that I don't care to know, but people love to tell me.

• - That sleeping would be a b!tch pretty pretty much from the get go.

- Don't go mini golfing in 90 degree heat or else you will faint, even if you were drinking water (what I learned this weekend)

- Give yourself at least an extra half hour to get dressed b/c you will try on about 5 different things before settling on something that is pseudo comfortable & doesn't make you look like an idiot

• imagebosha711:

- Give yourself at least an extra half hour to get dressed b/c you will try on about 5 different things before settling on something that is pseudo comfortable & doesn't make you look like an idiot

This! My best friend commented on how nice my shirt was when she saw me on the 4th. Guess I hadn't realized I had worn it the previous two times I have seen her Embarrassed

• 1.  If you didn't have m/s in your 1st tri, never admit it to anyone.  They will either (a) hate you (and tell you that), (b) tell you it is still to come (and will be way worse at the end), or (c) tell you that you will have a difficult and/or sickly baby because you had an easy/vomit-free first 13 weeks. 

2.  In general, keep quiet about as much as you can.  That means your choices for feeding, diapering, sleeping, working, etc.  You'll get unsolicited "advice" anyhow, but this at least (temporarily) helps you to avoid being told how WRONG you choices are.

3.  Our house would be under 5 feet of clutter, the kitchen would have been empty since April and my stress level would be off the charts if it wasn't for my husband.

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • imageroxy270:

2.  That you can have spicy foods while pregnant, baby does not taste it at all.  I'm tired of hearing people telling me I can't eat spicy, I LOVE it and if I don't get heartburn with it I'll continue eating it!

I had someone tell me yesterday that I shouldn't eat my jalepeno chips...I told her that my OB said that it was fine and as long as it didn't give me heartburn I could eat what I want.

1) How much I could love one person I have never met before and how almost primal my instinct is to protect my sweetpea

2) The fact that everyone feel freely to discuss what they think you need to buy or register for.

3)How supportive my husband has been through this entire pregnancy and how I would feel as if we  are truly PARTNERS in taking care of our little one.

• That you're hot all of the time...

That there are all sorts of things people don't tell you before becoming pregnant and it's probably a good thing or I'm pretty sure the human race would stop procreating. [:)} 

• That you're hot all of the time...

That there are all sorts of things people don't tell you before becoming pregnant and it's probably a good thing or I'm pretty sure the human race would stop procreating. Smile

• kat81kat81 member

1) it can take a very long time to "look" pregnant

2) you only really have one support person (DH!) in the beginning when the sickness/feeling is the worst, because you probably haven't told many people yet (risk of m/c). 

3)  as others have said, people have no filter. That includes their hands. They think that your belly is fair game for touching. Even if you still don't look pregnant yet!

• 1. I've learned that now that I'm pregnant- what I wear, where I go, what I eat, what I do and how I do it is apparently EVERYONE'S business and they have no problem asking. Thank god my husband is sane. 2. Most importantly I've leaned that when my body says "it's time to poop" I must go RIGHT now. I never know when the next opportunity may come...it might be days.
    i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

• I feel no "band of womanhood" with all other pregnant moms. In fact, many of them irritate me with their whining and constant focus on the material aspects of the baby. Also, so many of them take for granted the healthy and happy part and I never will.

Being aware of the risks and complications is NOT "having a negative attitude". It's no different than the way I've gone through most of my major life changes- I'm very informed about my health and what that means for what I'm doing. This means that my baby is at risk for a lot of things. And so am I.

After a few scares with this baby, I learned to throw the "your DH won't be a daddy until the baby is born" crap out the window. It doesn't apply to everyone. My husband feels like a daddy right now. He was physically ill while we waited for some particularly stressful and important test results to come back. He's excited, supportive, informed and participatory in all things baby. And I can't wait to be a parent with him.

Finally:

There's no good way to get an even tan when you can't lay on your stomach. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"