2nd Trimester

getting measured?

When do you normally start getting measured at the dr? I'm 23 weeks now and haven't been measured by my dr.  My dr is not very personable and my appts. usually last 5 minutes unless I have questions or the hb takes more than 30 seconds to find.  Should my dr be doing this every appt or is it something that some dr's don't do until later on?

Re: getting measured?

• I started getting measured at 16 weeks.  I think every Dr. is different, but I've been getting measured at every appointment since.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Fundal height is far from accurate, so some doctors (in this area at least) have stopped doing it altogether. It varies depending on how little one is positioned, if different docs do it, etc. So I wouldn't be worried that your doc hasn't done it yet. All he needs to keep track of is that you are getting bigger. And if he has been doing this for a long time, he can tell just by feeling your abdomen.

With DS, they started measuring me around 24 weeks and I was always 4cm behind where I "should" be. This was because I carried DS really low, and the top of his head was below my pubic bone or where they started measuring from.

I just got my fundal height measured today (19 weeks) and am measuring on schedule. But I am carrying this baby much higher.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Loading the player...
  • If I remember correctly I started getting measured around 16 weeks as well. I now get measured at every visit and if something is unusual then I get an ultrasound. Maybe next visit ask him about it.
  • My doc has never measured me. I am 18 wks. They just weigh me. 
  • My NP just feels my stomach and where my uterus is, and from that tells me that I'm "measuring right on track". 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My OB started measuring me at 24 weeks.
  • This appt was the first one where I got measured and I'm 23 weeks. 
  • I've heard it's not quite accurate until 20 weeks, but my dr first measured me at 15 weeks and has at every appointment since.
  • I first got measured at my 20 week appointment.  However, according to that I was 3 cm "bigger" than I should be, while at my anatomy u/s 3 days earlier everything was measuring right on.  So I don't think it's very accurate compared to other ways of measuring.
  • I started to get measured at about 12 weeks and have been measured at every appt. since.
  • I'm 23 and a half weeks and my doctor measured me at my lat appointment but she didn't think it would be accurate yet. I have an appointment tomorrow so we'll see what happens. She said it isn't accurate until after 20 weeks.
  • I was measured at my 12 week appt. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"