1st Trimester

H is starting to nag me about my eating.

I've never been a big meat fan. Even less so now that I'm queasy alot of the time. This weekend he reminded me that it was his baby too as he tried to shove a chicken breast in my face. I'm trying to stay balanced but it's hard to force things down that I don't want. ::gag::
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: H is starting to nag me about my eating.

• Yeah, I'm dreading the chicken breasts I'm going to be cooking this evening as well.  Right now the only meats I can eat are those that are breadcovered & crispy - which of course is doing wonders for me in the weight gain department.

Of course my DH, knowing that I'm attempting to eat healthier, offered me Reese's Ice Cream at 9:30 last night... seriously, like I could say no.

image??? Baby Jane born sleeping @ 22.5 weeks ??? MY OWN NUTSHELL -- The Blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You're doing just fine without the chicken, mama! Your body is telling you what it does and doesn't want right now. Your husband is being a douche, and would have gotten quite an earful from me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • How dare he!! That baby is getting it's proper nutrition from YOU, not what you eat. What you eat is for YOU, not the baby. The baby right now only requires what, 200 calories a day or so? If you're not feeling well enough to eat he needs to back the crap up and let you eat what you CAN.

With my first pregnancy, my DH did this to me too and it's unfair. Who the crap is he to tell me what I need to eat? I understand concern for his baby and all, but all my doc's have told me that it's okay to not have the best eating habits in the first tri. It's so hard for a lot of women to keep food down in this stage, but what ever the baby needs it will take from the mother's body- which is why it's important to at least be taking your prenatals or the equivalent.

Next time he does this, shove it in HIS face and tell HIM to eat it because if you do, you're going to vomit up whatever you just ate and then the baby will be getting NO new nutrition from you. He needs to back off. 

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • I feel the same way. Normally I am a huge veggie person. I love salad, I especially love tomatoes, spinach etc. But lately I can barely stand the thought of veggies. The only thing I've been eating lately is carbs unless its a small bit of lettuce on a sub. I was starting to feel guility myself for eating so bad. But even if I ate all the "good" things what's the point if you can't keep it down right?

At least I am still eating lots of fruit. I am addicted to oranges and peaches and plumbs (all fresh) and we got some green grapes this weekend and I've already been chowing down on those!

I say eat what you can keep down, and what you want. It will all "hopefully" fix it self  by 2nd trimester and then we can worry ourselves about what's going into our bodies!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    By lilenatalem at 2012-01-28 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your body will naturally crave what it needs. Your husband needs to chill.?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not eating meat is not going to harm your baby. Make sure you get your protein/iron from other sources.

Seriously, vegetarians have healthy babies every day.

I would have slapped my DH with that chicken breast. Or thrown up on him. Or both....

This is a test. This is only a test.
  • imageHotSauceonaStick:

Not eating meat is not going to harm your baby. Make sure you get your protein/iron from other sources.

I would have slapped my DH with that chicken breast. Or thrown up on him. Or both....

this

• Nip this in the bud, and quickly! As a previous poster said, as long as you get protein from another source (dairy, legumes, soy, etc.) you're fine. You're not a silly little girl who doesn't want to eat her peas and broccoli, you're a grown woman who can decide for yourself what you will eat. Don't let him nag you like you don't know what you're doing :)

I'm not much of a meat person anyway, but I cannot even look at it right now. H asked me last week if I had considered eating some beef "for the iron." I said seriously, do you think I have replaced my brain with a baby? Because I am just as smart about food now as I was before this pregnancy - I can feed myself, thank you very much.

I know he meant well, and I'm sure your H did, too. But good grief!

image Busted!
  • wow.  if DH tried to "shove" anything in my face, especially a chicken breast (or other meatWink), i think i'd take a bite and spit it at him.  dude, he needs to chill the F out.  get him rip roaring drunk and the wake him up the next morning with a chicken breast and tell him that's how you feel every damn day.
  • Oh goodness! I can relate to what you're going through, I'm a vegetarian and my husband is not and he kept trying to tell me that "the baby isn't vegetarian!" I calmed his fears by having him read the nutrition portions in my pregnancy books which talk about how the baby will get the nutrients it needs (including protein... even if you're not eating meat).  I know you're not vegetarian, but if I was able to convince my husband that no meat is ok, yours can probably be convinced that only a little is ok too.  Good luck! Smile
    BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemommajen8:
    imageHotSauceonaStick:

Not eating meat is not going to harm your baby. Make sure you get your protein/iron from other sources.

this

yes!  beans, cheese, and soymilk have tons of protein!  -- don't let him force feed you....

(i had a nightmare DH tricked me into eating steak and I got sick!!!)

• Meat is the last thing I want right now. All I want is grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup to dip them in.

I'm not sure what the meat aversion thing is about but I think it's pretty common. I have read several women saying they can't stand meat, especially chicken.

• imagemissfire:

You're doing just fine without the chicken, mama! Your body is telling you what it does and doesn't want right now. Your husband is being a douche, and would have gotten quite an earful from me.

haha yes i agree!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage

Natural M/C at 7 weeks 9.17.08 Natural M/C at 7 weeks 2.1.13

• I hope I don't get flamed, but I think it's kind of sweet that DH is looking out for you.  I'm not a fan of fruit, but every morning there is a glass of Orange Juice waiting for me to drink.  I think it is cute.  He cares. 

However, every meal I take about thirty minutes going through in my mind what foods sound good.  If he suggests anything, I freak out and start dry heaving.   So if chicken is your dry heave meal I am so sorry! 

• omg, this is ridiculous, he should leave you alone. Most women have an issue with chicken during pregnancy. I had, too. There are many other ways to gt protein - I drink so much organic skim milk right now, yogurts, nuts, eggs, etc.

don't eat something that makes you queasy!

• I had the same problem during my first trimester.  Normally I love steak, chicken, whatever.. but for some reason the texture and smell of meat totally turned me off.  I ate tons of pasta and carbs my first trimester.. and like many of the other mammas have said, the baby will get what it needs from you in the first trimester, not necessarily from your food.

If you have concerns about your eating or non-eating habits after the crazy/whaky/unpredictable first trimester, talk to your dr about it and have your husband at the appointment with you, so he can hear it first hand.

Other than that tell him if he keeps it up, next time you are TTC you're going to monitor his diet and exercise program as his sperm is technically "your sperm too!"

• I can't handle a lot of meat when I'm pregnant, especially early on. Find some food that he despises and remind him that that is exactly how you feel about meat at the moment. Just make sure you get protein even if it's not meat and tell DH to step off!
  • I could not stand meat either...especially chicken... for the first 5 months or so! You need to remind DH that your body knows whats best at each stage of your pregnancy. That's crazy about the chicken breast!
  • You and baby will be just fine and healthy without meat (just make sure to get protien from other sources).  The only meat I eat is fish, eggs and dairy and my little one is in the 50.8% for growth which is perfect!  My husband is a big meat and potatoes guy and has made it known that the baby is not going to be a vegetarian-lol.  Of course I said, I'll serve him meat but you're going to encourage him to enjoy veggies too :)

First trimester-just eat what you want-it's such a weird period as your body starts going through all these changes-you're doing good to be eating at all sometimes!  I was healthiest with my eating habits during my second trimester and now that I'm in my third and on bedrest, some days are better than others that is for sure!  With everything else going on-don't over stress about the food.

Tell hubby to back off a little!! :)

• imagemziegenhein:

I had the same problem during my first trimester.  Normally I love steak, chicken, whatever.. but for some reason the texture and smell of meat totally turned me off.  I ate tons of pasta and carbs my first trimester.. and like many of the other mammas have said, the baby will get what it needs from you in the first trimester, not necessarily from your food.

If you have concerns about your eating or non-eating habits after the crazy/whaky/unpredictable first trimester, talk to your dr about it and have your husband at the appointment with you, so he can hear it first hand.

Other than that tell him if he keeps it up, next time you are TTC you're going to monitor his diet and exercise program as his sperm is technically "your sperm too!"

Haha! I agree...monitor his eating too!

• LMAO! Tiffany The MOM!!! The rage in this comment just made me howl!  but this is so true!  My DH is the COMPLETE opposite!  he embraces the eating of EVERYTHING!  and my ass is paying for it!  I must say thought, i am NEVER hungry and i am always satisfied.....i will just have to work a little harder after baby to get rid of it!  SO worth it though!

I agree with TifannyTheMom's comments!  EAT WHAT YOU WANT/CAN!  Do NOT force feed yourself, BUT also make sure you are eating enough.

Good luck.......

• I call my H the "food police".  If he only knew half of what I am actually eating I would never hear the end of it.  I am hungry all the time and never for anything specific.  I am doing the best I can with fruits, veggies and other "healthy stuff".  So far I have gained 19 pounds total and I am in week 25.  I don't think that's too bad so I will keep doing what I am doing.

Good luck!

• If my DH pulled something like this, I'd cook a meal with all the things he despises in it...and then try to force him to eat it. When he protests, then I'd say, "So now you understand what it feels like when you try to shove meat down my throat."

Sometimes, men need illustrations. :)

Married August 23, 2008!

My little angel RIP August 12, 2010 - September 5, 2010

• Chicken is healthy, however , beef is also great for you to provide the much needed iron you and baby need! So don't let him force feed the chicken every day!  Also, don't eat things you don't want!

Regarding the H being a pest about eating, mine was the same way. He's ask "haven't you eaten enough?" I'm 16 weeks (about to be 17) and have only gained just under or just over 10 lbs (which is average). He stopped making comments once he came to a few appointments and the doctor  said that my weight is right where it should be! Next time you go to the doctor as him "How's my weight?" in front of your hubby. That will be sure to keep him quite! 

Also, the eating on get more ravenous! so better to train him earlier!

• If he really needs to feel involved in your eating then tell him to research the nutritional content of LOTS of foods.  Greek yogurt has 19 grams of protein in one cup.  Add some fruit puree or sugar and you've got a good treat that is just as good as chicken without the nausea.  

Instead of shoving stuff in your face he can find you five options per meal that you can pick from.  After a week of intensive research he'll either be really good at getting you something nice to eat or he'll be too tired to care what you choose.

My DH  was picking on me about my occasional sweets cravings.  I eat pretty healthy, but once in awhile I wanted a dang brownie.  It wasn't till I passed my sugar tolerance test with flying colors that he stopped pestering me.  

• DH has gone with me to nearly every doc appointment throughout my pregnancy. Unfortunately for me, every room in the doc's office has a food chart on the door so at EVERY doc appointment I get lectured by DH that I'm not eating enough of something, even though he has no idea what I eat throughout the day because he's busy at work.
  • My husband is being the same way!  Its so hard to eat when you are so nauseous.  Just remind him that is why you are on pre-natals to help with extra vitamin intake.  I'm not a big meat eater either not because i'm a vegetarian but its just not something i crave.  I try to get my protein through beans and peanut butter but i just have to force my self to eat small servings of meat whether I like it or not because the baby does need it.   Good luck hope you feel better soon!
  • I have never been a big meat fan either, but I will say chicken was the WORST during the 1st and 2nd trimester.  As ridiculous as this sounds, try to stick to beef.  I found my body craved it and I think it was because you need 80-100mg of protein a day!  and beef is high in iron.  Good luck!
  • How rude!  I've always been a big meat-eater, so really the only problem I had was raw chicken earlier in my pregnancy.  But you don't have to eat meat to get the nutrients you need.  That's what prenatals are for!  Plus, you can always get protein from eggs, soy milk, etc. 

If DH tried to shove something in my face that I didn't like, I'd tell him that I'll puke on him next time he does it.  Or, just think of something that your DH finds revolting, and make him think of it that way :)

• I had a real aversion to chicken in the beginning.  Hang in there, it will hopefully get better.  Eating well for your baby is important.  It can't get from you what you don't have, but in the beginning when you're feeling naus - I was just told to eat what I could keep down.
  • I have the same thing with chicken..I think a lot of us do at this stage..ur husband is being an ass,even though he means well.He's lucky he isn't my dh or he would have got blasted lol..unfortunately my dh is leaning the way of me eating what I can and when..Im grateful for it now but dont know how if Ill be so happy when I've gained 25 kgs. If only there wasn't McDonalds lol keep your chin up sweetie,as long as you get your vitamins from another way your LO will get everything that it needs
  • You may want to politely remind him that there will be many ups and downs with what you want to and CAN eat the next few months.  Many MANY women have an aversion to meat (especially chicken!) the first few months!  You will get your protien other places though, so tell him not to worry. 

As for you crazy women wanting to give your husbands a 'piece of your mind' and calling them douches...get a hold of yourselves!!  As long as you approach the subject with the men CALMLY, they will understand!  Don't be a *** just for the sake of being a ***...the hormone excuse will only take you so far. 

• You are fine. Remind DH that that is why you are on your prenatal vitamins - to ensure the baby is getting what it needs. I puked and ate weird through week 19 - and lost almost 22 lbs. That said, other than weird eating habits and being sick, I have had NO complications.

BTW, I couldnt keep down the horse pill vitamins and my doc switched me to Flintstone ones which sat better with my already sick tummy.

Eat what you can, take the vitamins and your appetite will come back within a few weeks!

• Are you kidding me? After a couple weeks I couldn't even eat saltine crackers in my first trimester. I lost 8 lbs in a couple weeks because what food I did eat usually came back up. The only thing I could stomach most of the time was fruit and popsicles. My baby was born 7 weeks ago and he's totally healthy. Tell your husband it is not ok for him to force food down your throat. How would he like it if you force fed him when he was nauseous!
  • I'm sorry that happened. Is explaining it to him going to help?

I am a vegetarian who happens to be lactose intolerant.This is my 6th child. As long as you are taking your pre-natal with your daily B12 vitamin requirement (a vitamin only found from meat that is vital) than you should be just fine.

• Okay, who brought this post back to the top after 3 months!? It's old news!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"