2nd Trimester

Poll: Who is deciding to do an epidural??

I am a big baby sadly.  I really really really hate pain.  So I was planning on getting one if I can, but I was watching "the real housewives of New Jersey" yesterday and they showed Teresa getting one and it looked so painful she was in tears. 

I just wanted your guys thoughts!

Re: Poll: Who is deciding to do an epidural??

• imageMrs.Bones:

Give me drugs. Lots and lots of drugs.

Indeed. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imageMrs.Bones:

I am thinking this! Although, I have been on the fence a little about it over the last month or so. BUT I am pretty sure I will go w/ the answer listed above! Nothing wrong w/ that!

• Loading the player...
  • I'm not planning on getting one, but I'm also not going to beat myself up if I have to. I've never been in labour before so I don't know what to expect :D but I'm looking into hypnobirthing and plan on taking classes. So hopefully I won't need it.
  • Oh yeah. Drugs for me. A spinal puncture can't be any more painful than unmedicated labor. That I'm pretty confident of.
  • definatly drugs... as many as i can take. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Taking a hypnobirthing course instead. We'll see how it goes.
  • I was on the fence the first time around, but when I started having contractions, I quickly knew the epidural was for me :) I was so pleased with the epidural that when DD was born, the first thing I thought (after thinking how beautiful and perfect she was) was that I needed to write the epidural inventor a thank you note.

Will definitely be going the epidural route this time, too!

• I have the unfortunate, or fortunate depending on how you look at it, experience of feeling 10 out of 10 pain.  I broke my back a few years ago.  If I don't have to feel that level of pain again, I won't.  I plan on getting an epidural.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • The epidural itself was not painful. Teresa is somewhat dramatic, if you've been watching the show. : )

• I did without, the first time, but I had all intentions of having one.  My timing just wasn't right. So, if I can go again without this time, I will try but I am not totally ruling out the need for it.
  • I had the epi last time and will have it again.  It is not bad at all - Theresa was being way too dramatic.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yup, most definitely will be having one of those.
  • Stab me in the back!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm going to try to tough it out. Both SILs didn't have one so the pressure is on!! Just kidding...that's not the reason. I would like to do it naturally if at all possible. We'll see what happens!
  • I want drugs!  I figure the pain of an epidural is temporary but the alternative would be more painful!
  • imagekikdoc:
    Oh yeah. Drugs for me. A spinal puncture can't be any more painful than unmedicated labor. That I'm pretty confident of.

This!!  All I have to do is arch my back.  I don't have to see the numbing shot, or the actual needle going in.

• I attempted to go epi-free for my DD's birth, but after they broke my water and gave me pitocin I begged for the epi. I didn't even feel it. The only annoying part was sitting up for 2 contractions. Didn't feel the needle at all, and I hate getting IVs and shots so I know the fear of needles. 

Unfortunately, my epidural didn't work. It was the worst misery I could imagine and I still only remember bits and pieces of my L&D. That being said, I will absolutely get the epi this time around and I will pray it works. Just in case it doesn't, I'll be researching some natural labor techniques. 

Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• I can't decide if I want one. Luckily, I still have quite a bit of time on my hands. I'd like to think I could handle it, because being completely numb kinda freaks me out for some reason. I've been told by so many people though who didn't have an epi, that they wish they had given in.
  • The pain from the epidural itself was minimal, basically like a beesting for the numbing shot and then it just weird going in. The pain from the contractions so far overpowered that, it was a very easy decision for me.

Kristen (7), Timothy (5), Robert (3), Charles (9 months)

• I absolutely want one- I am terrified of needles but I figure by the time it comes to get an epi, I'll be in so much pain I won't care.
  • My Ob asked me yesterday and i said i guess. Her response was," no your supposed to say hell yes, give me 2". Humor aside, i am definately going to get one.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Me, me!

I was terrified of getting an epidural with DD. I was planning on not. Until I had Pitocin, and they gave me Stadol (which helped) and then informed me that they couldn't give me Stadol after 8cm. So basically they were going to ease my pain until the end and then take it all away! Um, no! So I opted for the epidural. I LOVED it. My labor was calm and smooth sailing from that point on.

I plan to wait until I feel it's necessary, and then call for the anesthesiologist! 

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • I live in NJ, in the stomping ground of those despicable women on the Real Housewives.  I swear to god, if the one with the white SUV parks in the fire zone again in front of my local Starbucks on Sunday morning and holds up the line by holding court (does she not notice the rest of us rolling our eyes?!), I might have to lose my cool detachment and perhaps spill something hot in her direction. 

Bottom line, if you're taking any sort of life lesson from these horrendous people or the extremely scripted "reality show" they're on, you should really get a reality check.  Really. 

There are tons of real moms here who went through an epi without getting paid to ham it up on camera.  Ask them, and feel safe knowing you're getting the whole story from real people.

• JDOJDO member
    I think I'll probably end up asking for one, but I'm not planning to ask until I feel that I need it. I'd be proud of myself if I made it all the way without one, but I'm not set on doing it without either.
  • Sign me up!

Whenever someone asks me I immediately think of the scene from Baby Mama: 

Instructor: "Now who is having an all natural birth?"
    (everyone raises their hands)
    Instructor: "And how many of you are planning on using toxic western medications to drug your baby for your own selfish comfort?"
    Angie:
    (raises both hands up while bouncing on the ball)
    "OOOOOOOOH OOOOOOOOOOH!!!"

• I absolutely do not want one. Doesn't mean I won't get one, but with my history of reactions to anesthesia and many medications, an untested (on me!) Medication and method of delivery scares me more then birth.
  • Yeppers, the biggest epidural they've got!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I plan on going as natural as I can since this is our first baby, so no inducing, no epidural, wanna walk or squat or sit up for as much of labor as I can. That said, if things dont go according to plan, I wont beat myself up over it as Iong as I at least tried to go natural first.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• For my other 2 children I went without any pain meds at all. I am gonna try with this one too but if it gets to be too much I'll be asking for the meds.
  • not sure yet.  i had one with ds, and i was dead set against it all along (because of a video i watched, and the whole procedure of a needle so close to the spine freaked me out).  but things changed, and when i was in the process of getting it, i didnt feel a thing. 

this time around, i will go with the flow of things.  if i feel i can do it without then i will try but at the same time if i cant, i have no problem with getting an epidural again. 

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • When your in pain from the contractions you dont even feel the epi going in!  I had it with DS and I plan on getting it with this one!  I always tell people I went natural until the epi kicked in Smile
  • imagell442p:

I am a big baby sadly.  I really really really hate pain.  So I was planning on getting one if I can, but I was watching "the real housewives of New Jersey" yesterday and they showed Teresa getting one and it looked so painful she was in tears. 

I just wanted your guys thoughts!

I was going to avoid epidurals because I was afraid of them.

By the time I got my epi during labor with my DD, I was weeping from the contractions enough that I totally didn't mind the giant epidural needle.

They give you 2-3 novacaine shots BEFORE the actual epidural shot, so you don't really feel it.  My doc even gave me a spinal THEN the epidural drip - so I was numb before the epidural drip even went in.

I'm not planning on an epi this time (mine didn't take last time and we delivered just fine) but I'm no longer fearful of them!

• I had one last time and will again.  They had to attempt it 3 times b/c according to my anesthesiologist, I have a "really bony spine".  It worked wonderfully though, and wasn't overly painful to receive, even with the 3 attempts.
  • I am sure the pain from the epidural is worth not feeling the pain of hours of labor but it's the after effect that scares me more.  A friend of my SIL had one and her leg was numb for over two weeks.  SCARY!!!
  • I am not 100% decided, but I am definitely leaning stongly toward getting the epidural.  I'm still doing my research, so we'll see.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • imageMrs.Bones:

This.  No time for me to try a stint at being Wonder Woman. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm going to take Bradley classes and attempt it all natural.  That being said, I'm not going to beat myself up if something happens and I need one.

Not to start a debate, but some epidurals are really painful.  I was with my best friend during her labor and the procedure was long and painful and in the end didn't really do anything for her pain because she felt just about everything.  I know they don't all end like that, but there are reasons people (like me) are legitimately scared of them.   

imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As of right now, I'm not going to.  But, not because I want a natural labor or anything like that, but because that needle seriously freaks me out.  I know the percentage is so tiny it shouldn't count, but just knowing that there is a chance that it could go in a wrong place and cause permanent damage, really worries me for some reason.  This is my first, so I could start having contractions and all my worries go out the window.  I'm not opposed to having one, is what I'm trying to say.
  • I'm still trying to decide, but I'm leaning toward skipping the epidural this time.  I had a "hot spot" with the epidural with DD, and it was horrible.  I'll probably wait and see how my labor goes this time before I decide for sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"